Login

Nebula equivalent to Slate VBC Chain

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Nebula equivalent to Slate VBC Chain

Postby dejhantulip » Wed May 14, 2014 2:41 am

Hey everyone!

I have been hearing and hearing so many mixing engineers here in South America that they "love" the sonic character that the Slate VBC imparts on their pop-acoustic mixes even when no compression is being taken place.

Soooo, I turn to my awesome Nebula community to ask me to provide to me an equivalent of libraries that would some similar/the same/or better than Slate VBC. I am blown away by out Nebula technology and I am sure we can match the VBC sound!

Thank you!!
dejhantulip
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Nebula equivalent to Slate VBC Chain

Postby himhui » Wed May 14, 2014 5:15 am

97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:40 am

+1
;)
Thierr7

Postby zabukowski » Wed May 14, 2014 8:53 am

dejhantulip is talking about Slate VBC compressors, not VCC consoles, so AlexB Flagship console is not the right thing to compare, i guess.
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed May 14, 2014 9:59 am

There was a comparison to one of slates vbc on the focus comp thread, I'm pretty sure it was the vbc anyway.

Focus comp v3 will be on the way soon.

Edit: the comparison was to hardware, but I think there is a link to a thread with slates using the same sample somewhere.
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Wed May 14, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby himhui » Wed May 14, 2014 10:03 am

zabukowski wrote:dejhantulip is talking about Slate VBC compressors, not VCC consoles, so AlexB Flagship console is not the right thing to compare, i guess.

OH..you are right, I confused myself!!
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby dejhantulip » Wed May 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info!

Well, I was testing some stuff yesterday and this is basically what I came out with:

VBC's tone basically goes from: S*L 4000G to F*******e RED3 to [a combination of] Fairchild 670 with a touch of a Vari-Mu

So basically I am thinking about this chain:

AlexB 4KG Dynamics 2:1 (auto release) doing NO compression
Henry Olonga RED Dual Comp PRO (no compression preset) with GDrive @ +18dB
Henry Olonga 670 Stereo Fairchild PRO (no compression preset) with GDrive @ +15dB
Henry Olonga Vari Moo Mojo (no compression preset) with GDrive untouched (0dB)

Any opinions? What would you change? Any other advices?

Any input will be greatly appreciate it! :)

-D
dejhantulip
User Level III
User Level III

Postby SWAN » Wed May 14, 2014 4:07 pm

first of all - the 'tone' of VBC is rubbish. The unit that colours the signal is the FG Mu - which has a harsh mid bell - and some fairly unpleasant saturation.

The FG Grey just has a 1db level boost on insert

Red is almost totally clean-unless you ramp up the dirt and get a sort of faint gritty sound.

If anyone gets a nice tone from VBC - the real tone was in their sources - because VBC imparts a not a musically nice character. Many people find FG Mu unsuable past 50% mix control.

If you want some nice Vari Mu tone maybe try Cupwise Creamy 660. I think it is a waste of time to build a strip based on the VBC 'tone'...if you use whatever combination of Nebula programs you like - it will sound better.

The Slate tone is mainly just a level bump and hyped mids. I would recommend not listening to the hype but listening to Nebula 8-)
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby kels » Wed May 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Slate has the SSL4000E compressor modded with a 1073 like transformer on the output.
You can try and add a 1073 to the list beetween the S*L and the F*******e.
About the F*******e RED3, the real magic (harmonics) is in the settings as given by Chris Lord Alge. I don't know if Henri has sampled his F*******e that way.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby mtalavera » Wed May 14, 2014 7:35 pm

SWAN wrote:first of all - the 'tone' of VBC is rubbish. The unit that colours the signal is the FG Mu - which has a harsh mid bell - and some fairly unpleasant saturation.

The FG Grey just has a 1db level boost on insert

Red is almost totally clean-unless you ramp up the dirt and get a sort of faint gritty sound.

If anyone gets a nice tone from VBC - the real tone was in their sources - because VBC imparts a not a musically nice character. Many people find FG Mu unsuable past 50% mix control.

If you want some nice Vari Mu tone maybe try Cupwise Creamy 660. I think it is a waste of time to build a strip based on the VBC 'tone'...if you use whatever combination of Nebula programs you like - it will sound better.

The Slate tone is mainly just a level bump and hyped mids. I would recommend not listening to the hype but listening to Nebula 8-)

I have the VBC and never use any of the compressors past 50% mix. When the thing first came out ( and before I was a Nebula enthusiast by the way :D ), there was a suggestion on Gearslutz to use each of the compressors in the rack at 50%, and I just stuck with that since I only use it on my master bus and didn't want full compression at that point.

Two weeks ago I bought CDSoundMaster's VTMC-M2 Vintage Tube Mastering Compressor. Wow, now that has color and tone for miles. Once I take the time to really play with it, I'm sure I'll dump the VBC rack completely.
mtalavera

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries