Login

Reverb / room for Guitar

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Reverb / room for Guitar

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Well, clean and crunchy stuff. No hi-gain. Anyway, in studio i've always prefered Kustom 2x12 greenbacks to modern Hughes&Kettner 4x12.
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby triggerthehorizon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Once you try an ownhammer nebula cab, you won't go back. I'm using a Rivera rockcrusher for silent recording, sending the speaker out directly to my soundcard. Sounds like my amp
triggerthehorizon
User Level II
User Level II

Postby jorismak » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Getting the 2x12 Vintage is a good bet then. Not a lot of miking-choice, so feel free to EQ a bit, but the speaker choices are bliss :).

Between the Jensen's and the Greenbacks and other vintage Celestion's, you have lots of choice :).
jorismak

Postby Melon_Jack » Sat May 03, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks guys! =D
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby fr3udes » Mon May 12, 2014 9:15 pm

When you write "record", you mean you play and record with the impulse loaded in real time, which means you got tons of latency, how come ? That's the only reason i still not buy guitar stuff for Nebula (and the fact the guy from Ownhammer should make an ALL STUFF bundle)
fr3udes
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:13 pm

fr3udes wrote:When you write "record", you mean you play and record with the impulse loaded in real time, which means you got tons of latency, how come ? That's the only reason i still not buy guitar stuff for Nebula (and the fact the guy from Ownhammer should make an ALL STUFF bundle)

I use Nebula (most from OwnHammer, but still quite a bit of Henry, CDSoundmaster, Signaltonoize) with zero problems. I do the actual tracking with my favorite "algo" amp-sim (S-Gear ALWAYS), and then start using Nebula for the mixing. Nebula is terrible with latency for any preset, so why fight it? But you don't have to give up using Nebula amp-sims, it just requires small changes in the work-flow (which is necessary to use nebula in any capacity as far s I'm concerned).
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Tue May 13, 2014 12:06 am

With cab sims? You can use the normal 'Nebula' instance instead of the 'Nebula reverb' one. I have my DSPBUFFER set to 128 on that one, which gives me 194 samples of latency at 96khz, which is +/- 2 ms?

Most tracking I do through a zero-latency impulse loader (so no Nebula) with an IR version of the same tone, then switch it out to Nebula when the takes are good. Or take a DI (or poweramp-out) while playing through a real amp, but put Ownhammer's cab on it afterwards instead of mic'ing it up in my living room.

The best real-thing mic recordings I try from my cab + room + mic's don't come close to his impulses and/or nebula-cabs. He's just much better at it (+ better location and gear) than I am, and his impulses + nebula stuff is good enough to beat my real mic'd recordings :P.

So 'tons of latency' isn't the case at all, but yes, always will be some latency. Hence I see Nebula as a mixing / producing tool, not as a recording tool, but to each his own. My interface gives me 3.4 ms RTL of latency, Nebula cab will add 2ms to that. That's still better than my old USB interfaces which would give no better than 8ms if it would even work at those settings :). If 5.4ms total latency is unacceptable but 3.4ms isn't (Really?) just record with a simple 'old-school' IR of the same capture. This gives you the feel to play back but there are tons of zero-latency IR-loaders out there (built in in Reaper of 'NadIR' comes to mind).

And about the 'all stuff bundle', you get a 'returning customer discount'. The first thing you buy is full price, the 2nd thing has a few percent off, the 3rd thing has more percent off, etc...

If I were to buy the OwnHammer-pack from the AxeFx website, I pay 100 bucks. If I buy it from Ownhammer himself (his website), I end up paying 85 to 90 bucks for the same stuff ( + more format options).

In the end, if Pete Thorn decides an OwnHammer impulse (not even Nebula) sounds better than he could mic-himself, it's good enough for me :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3HBO2NvZ1M
jorismak

Postby fr3udes » Tue May 13, 2014 12:40 am

richie43 wrote:[I do the actual tracking with my favorite "algo" amp-sim (S-Gear ALWAYS), and then start using Nebula for the mixing.

That's what i do. S-Gear is the best on earth.

With cab sims? You can use the normal 'Nebula' instance instead of the 'Nebula reverb' one. I have my DSPBUFFER set to 128 on that one, which gives me 194 samples of latency at 96khz, which is +/- 2 ms?

Hmmm, i always use the reverb instance for everything, because it is supposedly better. I may be wrong, indeed, and will try this regular instance asap. Thanks for the tip !
fr3udes
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:31 am

The actual dll's for the "regular" and "reverb" instances of Nebula are identical, there is not a "better" one. The differences are in the xml settings. So any perceived advantages can be achieved with either instance.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Tue May 13, 2014 11:14 am

Don't know where you heard it is 'better', not here on the forum I hope :).

The shorter the buffer, the shorter the latency. But some programs (most notable (long) reverbs) need a big buffer to work OK. Hence you got two versions. One for low latency, one for high latency. But there is a chance programs won't work OK on the low-latency one because they need a bigger buffer. I bet this isn't 100% technical correct, but in a nutshell it's close enough to explain it :).

Soundwise they are exactly the same, if the program loads and works OK. I think the 'reverb' version (thanks to the bigger buffer) can use multiple cpu cores a bit better, so if you're really just mixing you might want to use it all the time just because.

But if you find the high latency annoying, you gotta use the normal one.
OwnHammer himself has been known for tracking through the nebula programs (so recording with it). A real tube-preamp (well, Randall MTS module hooked up as standalone preamp I think) into one of his nebula poweramp programs into nebula cabinet. For him (not for everyone) low enough latency.

A bit sadder is that he dropped Nebula for his latest smaller release, because the Nebula programs are such a pain in the a** to make.
jorismak

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries