Login

Tone control

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Tone control

Postby Martinez » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:48 pm

I was wondering if any third party developer has done a simple tone control, like the ones you get on the old radios and stuff?

I went and had a look but I couldn't find anything.
That doesn't mean that someone hasn't done one though, it just means I couldn't find it.

Would be a really useful quick mix tool if anyones interested?
Martinez

Re: Tone control

Postby jorismak » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:55 pm

Probably not what you want,

but I know OwnHammer has sampled some distortion pedals for the tone control (since you can't capture distortion and he left it at 0, you get a clean signal with only the tone control).

He also has sampled some tube power-amps which have a 'voice' and 'tone' control. Looking at what I got, his 'EggTwister 6L6' got only a tone control. His Framus 'FrameSnake' got 'deep' and 'presence', so no tone control there. The Fryette has 'voice' (together with 'presence' and 'depth'). The 'IncSphere 6L6' (don't know what it was) also has a tone control.

They're pretty transparent, only adding some harmonics and warmth I guess, and the tone control. They don't seem to compress (or not that much) and don't do gain / distortion. The more you drive it the more the frequency response has a high-roloff from the tubes of course.
jorismak

Postby Martinez » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks man, I was actually looking for it for shaping guitars in the mix but imagine that it would probably work well with other things as well.

I'll check out Ownhammer again.
I did go there already but I guess that stuff you are talking about is not so obvious if you don't know what you are looking at.

Cheers!
Martinez

Postby david1103 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:34 pm

You want:

http://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads ... -and-bass/

"The presets have Treble and Bass controls"

Perfect for guitar, as its sampled from a guitar amp :)
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mertayy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Not nebula but I use TDR VOS slickeq for guitars regularly, here's a preset I insert before the cab (can be after too) just copy/paste;

<TokyoDawnLabs lowBandGainParam="4.0" lowBandFreqParam="250" lowBandShapeParam="On" midBandGainParam="4.0" midBandFreqParam="6000" highBandGainParam="6.0" highBandFreqParam="1000" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="German" eqSatParam="Off" hpFreqParam="110" outSatModelParam="Linear" outSatDriveParam="0.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="On" autoGainParam="On"/>
mertayy

Postby Martinez » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:24 am

Thanks all!

I'll check out those suggestions.
I would prefer that the solution be a nebula one though, lol.

:D
Martinez

Postby jorismak » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 am

Shaping your guitar sound with Nebula is more done with all the awesome EQ's than any simple 'tone' control :P.

If guitarists had a 'tone' control they would crank it to 10 all the time :P.

A good M****y passive / Pulteq / N**e 1073 to do broad boosts with can be all you need and will always come in handy down the road.
jorismak

Postby harmonik » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 am

mertayy wrote:Not nebula but I use TDR VOS slickeq for guitars...

I was about to suggest that too. Their auto level function makes EQ'ing more like a tone control. The fact that it's free is so awesome it's confusing. I'd still recommend Neb EQs for many tasks, especially euphonic color like Pultec, etc., but the TDR EQ is so easy to use. It's a workflow marvel with pleasant sound.
harmonik
User Level V
User Level V

Postby marcpl » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:23 pm

david1103 wrote:You want:

http://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads ... -and-bass/

"The presets have Treble and Bass controls"

Perfect for guitar, as its sampled from a guitar amp :)

+1. it's become a real go-to for me since I got it. you can use it subtly or over-the-top and it sounds great. simple yet very useful.

I hope to see more toolbox kind of stuff for nebula.
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Cupwise » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:04 am

i actually did one of these from a tube radio in my first set, tube fm 1. there are lots of programs from various radios, but one program sampled a tone knob, which mostly acted like a high pass or low shelf.

in my 'frequency tweekers B' set i sampled an old tube amp that came from an old record player console. it has separate 'bass' and 'treble' controls, both sampled and separately adjustable, and i sampled it 3 different ways to get slightly different sounds each time.

i'm pretty sure these were the first programs with adjustable EQ of any kind combined with sampled dynamics, and that's still a pretty rare thing. i think they probably have more dynamic steps and sampled eq steps than any other out there still (sample count in the tube amp eq programs going into the thousands), for plenty of resolution in the models of the hardware.

being old tube stuff, these programs have pretty heavy color.
Last edited by Cupwise on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries