Login

Libraries for retro sound

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Libraries for retro sound

Postby indelible » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi guys.I'm mixing a jazz song(Tony Bennett style) and want to give it a retro vibe.There are a lot of strings in the track and I want to make them sound like Motown strings.(close as I can)

I'll post a list of some of the libraries I own.Feel free to give me some advices:

AlexB Vinylizer
AlexB PCS
AlexB Poolteq
STN NAG Tape
CDSM Tonebooster+
Cupwise 660
Cupwise Urei LP/HP Filters
HO Porta Pre
HO Air
HO NV Pro
Tim Petherick Marsh Verb
Tim Petherick Treble&Bass

Thanks
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: Libraries for retro sound

Postby RJHollins » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Might check out the Gemini 'Kult'.

Has a very nice tone to it.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby botus99 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Tony Bennett style... sounds fun!

I was reading a book a couple years back about Phil Ramone that mentioned the use of reverbs with Tony. They would have a horn speaker play the vocals either into an abandoned concrete stairwell or they would wait for just the right time to play it outside in an alley.

So... I would think that a chamber reverb would get you closest. Maybe take a look at the chambers in E.A.R. from AITB.

I don't have CDSoundmaster's Apex Tape Collection, but if you're looking for Motown sound on anything, you will likely NEED this.

You also may want to pick up Henry Olonga's mic programs (ESPECIALLY the U47). I am pretty sure that Bennett was using the SAME U47 on his vocals up until the end.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby kels » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Tony Bennett ... - Those are Great Sounding Records - old school way of thinking music

first, obviously, no plugin ...

Depending of album but as a general rule : No compression at all or as little as possible at the recording stage only - extensive use of automation (moving faders) at mix stage.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Good advice from all,

This made me think about some recordings made in my friends living room, nothing special about the room fairly pleasant in its sound, certainly was not perfect but something magical in terms of its vibe.

Maybe not tony bennet but if you listen hear it's got old school vibe.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UBrVBOJarMM
This was a kind of a Chet baker outtake tune.

I think bleed adds to the vibe. We didn't mix it as such, no eq etc but we did use cdsoundmaster r2r on the end. It's dark sounding and that's the way I think it should stay.

I modded the vocal microphone in this recording with some different capacitors, I like to tweak!!
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:55 pm

botus99 wrote:I am pretty sure that Bennett was using the SAME U47 on his vocals up until the end.

the end??? you know tony is still very much alive, right? still recording too! :D
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby indelible » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:01 pm

botus99 wrote:Tony Bennett style... sounds fun!

I was reading a book a couple years back about Phil Ramone that mentioned the use of reverbs with Tony. They would have a horn speaker play the vocals either into an abandoned concrete stairwell or they would wait for just the right time to play it outside in an alley.

So... I would think that a chamber reverb would get you closest. Maybe take a look at the chambers in E.A.R. from AITB.

I don't have CDSoundmaster's Apex Tape Collection, but if you're looking for Motown sound on anything, you will likely NEED this.

You also may want to pick up Henry Olonga's mic programs (ESPECIALLY the U47). I am pretty sure that Bennett was using the SAME U47 on his vocals up until the end.

His last albums were mixed by Tony's son Dae Bennett.I found an article on SOS magazine about his workflow.

U47-Neve 1073-1176
Ams and L*****n 480 reverbs
Soft EQ and Compression
Editing in ProTools
Mixing on S*L G

All the performers on the albums were recorded at the same moment!Incredible.

I don't have the budget for buying the Apex Tape from CDSM right now but maybe I have to check the HO mics.
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby indelible » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:20 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:Good advice from all,

This made me think about some recordings made in my friends living room, nothing special about the room fairly pleasant in its sound, certainly was not perfect but something magical in terms of its vibe.

Maybe not tony benn but if you listen hear it's got old school vibe.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UBrVBOJarMM
This was a kind of a Chet baker outtake tune.

I think bleed adds to the vibe. We didn't mix it as such, no eq etc but we did use cdsoundmaster r2r on the end. It's dark sounding and that's the way I think it should stay.

I modded the vocal microphone in this recording with some different capacitors, I like to tweak!!

I like it!Great work.Here you can hear the strings sound I'm after:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozaLAy0XKeYI
And here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBS4ALhPys
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby botus99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:56 pm

SWANG wrote:the end??? you know tony is still very much alive, right? still recording too! :D

Doh! :oops: I mistakenly was thinking of Frank Sinatra.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Yeah nice strings.
the only thing I would say you could do after well recorded Strings, Is seeing if you can get the ambience of the strings smooth (minimal wet room Presets) and I think tape. Those odd harmonics are important. Maybe a slightly dark tape then add highs with eq afterwards.

Cdsoundmaster's R2r, I would recommend the most because of the many styles of tape presets.

You could try my dark tdk tape maybe, but it' just one preset.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries