Login

NVC-BXQ for the CDS Baxandall EQ - Demo now Available

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

NVC-BXQ for the CDS Baxandall EQ - Demo now Available

Postby RJHollins » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:48 am

Announcing the
NVC-BXQ for the CDSoundMaster Baxandall EQ is now available.

Sometimes there are unexpected, pleasant surprises :o

If one takes the time to read the release thread for the CDS BXQ library, you will know about this special EQ. At first glance, it seemed 'simple' in design and concept. With the 2 shelf bands, and a special custom Mid band, there are a select number of FREQ choices, along with 4 MODES. Within the 17 Presets, there are included some combinations that offer special control and additional shaping. Least we not forget, there are also 'mastering-grade' presets to complete this library.

Seems a very basic, minimal featured EQ ... right ?
So why the rave ... why so popular ?

I began sound testing this library the standard Nebula way ... several NEB's scattered around my dual display monitors, and as I listened to some test 2-mixes, I pushed and pull faders to get a sense of what each preset was doing ... not really concerned whether the overall settings made the mix better [the usual goal], but to get a feel for how this eq responded ... on several levels.
The comments on the 'release' thread began confirming that this is indeed a special EQ.

I initial figured that I would likely load up a NEB instance when I might need a 'shelf' or 2. But then ... CDS included some special 'creations' with this library. Now with 3 bands as core function, things got much more interesting ... and more cumbersome. Again, moving from NEB-2-NEB to make changes ... relocating the eyes and mouse pointer to the NEB I wanted to changed had once again deflected attention away from 'critical' listening, to playing around with screen clutter and mouse locations.

When switching to different kernel combinations, I had to then reset the settings I was comparing to ...

Considering just how quickly our ears adjust to a sonic change ... it can be quite shocking how far off the supposed 'Reference' can go. Come back later to what we KNEW sounded great, only to find that OMG what was I doing or hearing. :shock: Decades into this Profession gives no immunity. :oops: :roll:

As simple/basic as this library appears, I decided to prototype a bare-bones controller ... probably a waste of time I'm feeling, but 'what da heck' ... there MUST be some reason this EQ is found in so many Control Rooms ... production AND mastering :shock:

So it began ... starting with controls for the LOW, MID, and HIGH eq's.

Instantly I had all variations going from smiley's to 'tilt' slopes in both directions AND I could now shift the midrange forward and back as a counter maneuver to whatever shelving I had going. Being able to changes the MODE function within this context opened even more avenues.

I then read a posting of a special BXQ 'trick' that is akin to a Pultec setting ... this is also a special preset included in the package ... so, I added another control module and started playing with this 4th addition. This meek looking EQ has now turned into a sonic shaping animal. :shock:

who knew :lol:

I'll tell you ... many times, the audio tracks I use for 'testing' can be very sub-par. They may come from a band rehearsal where a hand-held portable sat on a chair or the floor, pointed in some direction in an barely treated basement. I do have my reasons for using these as a source at times though.

In the proto-typed control of this BXQ equalizer, I was able to transform this base 'recording', that was clouded, muffled, out of spectrum balance, with vocals coming out of a PA that was off-axis ... you name it ! and through the inter-action of being able to quickly move through all the parameters of this entire EQ, pull some punch, clarity, size and detail magic. :shock: Now, this is not a surgical eq, that is not the design ... so I then brought in a rare 'algo' eq that I still call on, JUST so I could tame some resonance from the bass guitar, and a few edgy peaks. From AURATONES to MAINS to even my jambox ... the transformation and playability was remarkable.

There was now no doubt. The BXQ library needed a dedicated NVC controller. And least we forget ... we must include the PREAMP. ;)

Main Screen-2.jpg
NVC-BXQ v:0.12

It may be early in the version numbers, but not to worry. as it has every NVC feature so far available. I'll post up a listing of them, along with so much other stuff I need to do.

The NVC-BXQ demo is now available on my site at:
http://www.upallnite.us/nvc-gmd--nvc-bxq.html
I'm having to stack controllers on the web page ... which really needs a complete re-organization. Try to find the time :roll:

So ... please check it out for yourself. And PLEASE ... post up some feedback. Especially if there are any problems with the site, or I mis-spelled something ... whatever.

That is all for now :lol:
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: NVC-BXQ for the CDS Baxandall EQ - Demo now Available

Postby kylen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:38 pm

RJHollins wrote:...
I began sound testing this library the standard Nebula way ... several NEB's scattered around my dual display monitors, and as I listened to some test 2-mixes, I pushed and pull faders to get a sense of what each preset was doing ...

...moving from NEB-2-NEB to make changes ... relocating the eyes and mouse pointer to the NEB I wanted to changed had once again deflected attention away from 'critical' listening, to playing around with screen clutter and mouse locations.

When switching to different kernel combinations, I had to then reset the settings I was comparing to ...

Considering just how quickly our ears adjust to a sonic change ... it can be quite shocking how far off the supposed 'Reference' can go. Come back later to what we KNEW sounded great, only to find that OMG what was I doing or hearing. :shock: Decades into this Profession gives no immunity. :oops: :roll:

Yes indeed! I end up with this very experience many many times using Nebula and due to that type of workflow when EQ'ing where band interactions must be tweaked my ears may not make it past the 'preset audition' and I would have to continue the next day...unlike an algo IK 432 Master EQ for example with all the controls (and constraints) right there in front of me to tweak with instant aural feedback.

I just picked up my [discounted!] BXQ from Michael and am looking forward to trying out your demo. Also you have one or 2 others I'm looking at if my cpus will handle them (I'm on Reaper so I could freeze I think). Great ideas! :)
kylen

Postby jpchartrand » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:03 pm

Any plans for MAC now?
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby kylen » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:23 am

OK I have the CDSM library and the NVC-BXQ downloaded and placed appropriately. What's next? Do I need to do something to make it go? I don't have any instructions so I'll just wait till they're ready!
kylen

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:49 am

kylen wrote:OK I have the CDSM library and the NVC-BXQ downloaded and placed appropriately. What's next? Do I need to do something to make it go? I don't have any instructions so I'll just wait till they're ready!

Hi Kylen,

I've just made some updates to my site.

On the main page [near the bottom] I have some documentation. It uses the NVC-PTeQ as an example. There is also a video that shows the setup with Reaper.

These should help guide you, and of course, we'll try to offer help here.

I'll be starting to put some better docs together.

Hope this helps in the meantime 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Return to 3rd party libraries