Login

NVC-BMeQ - DEMO is NOW available !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

NVC-BMeQ - DEMO is NOW available !

Postby RJHollins » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:32 am

There are so many incredible Nebula libraries. Choosing which to use can sometimes be a difficult decision ... but an enjoyable one :lol:

Since much of my work is based on mastering, I have focused my NVC series on libraries that lean toward this area. Which brings us to the next heavyweight contender ...

The AlexB 'BMeQ' stereo equalizer.

Won't bore you with the historical significances of this piece of equiptment, but its sonic impact has earned it a respected name ... while 'others' just think it sounds great ! :lol:

Since my switch over from day to day studio work using nothing but hardware, to the software based 'private' studio centered with NEBULA, I have had to design a GUI interface/work-surface that brings these isolated components into a comprehensive, interactive ... instrument. It seems strange to have to say that. Those coming from the hardware scene have always had 2 hands on the controls.

Although we can indeed perform surgery to specific areas, we also must maintain awareness AND control of the overall 'global' sound we are shaping.

Harnessing the individule NEBULA Preset 'pieces' into a familiar looking 'Central Control' is what NVC is designed for. To also be flexible in 'designing' our sonic palette [as Nebula provides] in as work efficient possible.

Soon to be released is the NVC-BMeQ.

As with each controller, the design looks to resembled the hardware it is derived from. How close to the operational function/limitation is something I try to be very mindful of.

To specifics.

Given a 'Shelf' and 'Peak' preset that are separate in the Nebula patches ... do we limit the EQ to be 'ONE or the OTHER' ?? [as in the hardware]. Or do we expand the hardware 'design' and provide both.

Personally ... given the choice ... I prefer to have both, as I'm not going to know what I may need to use until the time comes. [makes sense].

The drawback [if considered that] would be using 2 Nebula instances to have both options together, rather than one Nebula and choosing between Shelf or Peak.

I try to also stay mindful of the total number of NEBULAs needed to realize a complete library. It seems that 6 Nebulas mark a point ... not that it matters to the NVC with 16 MIDI Channels. Maybe it's just a concern without merit. As always, if a paticular NEB is not being used, it can be removed from the chain [or at least set to INIT [and bypass] without issue. Still ... I suppose I need continued user feedback on this aspect to help me keep a balance perspective among other thoughts.

Anyway ... these long 'disertations' are also in hope that they spur dialog to help steer design ideas and direction. YOUR COMMENTS and OPINIONS are IMPORTANT :o :lol

OK ... so this is the current NVC-BMeQ look:
GUI screenshot-1.jpg
NVC-BMeQ v:0.85

The fully realized EQ will take up to 6 Nebulas on 6 MIDI channels.

I've been using this controller for [easily] the past month or so. It has been 'ear-opening' to really work with this fantastic library that AlexB has built. This is a highly reccomended purchase 8-)

AlexB has extended this EQ to also include stereo versions [along with MONO] and includes all the various kernel flavors. With the NVC's ability to maintain your EQ settings as you switch kenel presets, you will actually enjoy tailoring the harmonic character you want.

The NVC has all the EQ gain bypass features, as standard, to allow fast A/B comparison to help you make eq decisions ... this alone is worth the price of admission :lol:

This is just the 'preview' announcement to give a sense of what I'm looking to accomplish, and look to Your comments for insights and impressions.

This concludes the 'teaser'.

I'll start to get Demos posted.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
8-)
Last edited by RJHollins on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Re: NVC-BMeQ [preview]

Postby mathias » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:53 am

looks like i am coming on board with this one :D

are there any users on samplitude, that can share experience?

best,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:10 pm

RJ - is there any hope for us 64 bit mac users in the future?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:44 pm

SWAN wrote:RJ - is there any hope for us 64 bit mac users in the future?

Hi SWAN,

I wish I could give a definitive answer to you and the many who have inquired.
It is a similar question raised regarding 64-bit for the PC.
I don't want to raise false hopes. This is the current limit of the programming platform I use. Not being a profession programmer, as this entire project series began as personal tools for my audio engineering work. It would not be practical for me to take on learning C++ at my present station in life. :roll: [although, if Kurzweil is indeed correct in his vision of life extension ... then I very well might take the challenge. 8-)

I have tried to research particular mentions of 'wrappers' that purport to allow PC plug-ins to run on the MAC platform. I have no knowledge of whether any work or to what degree. I also have no way to even test the ones I've seen sites on. Maybe someone has info they could share.

Needless to say, I have joined my fellow programmers in petition to expand the program. It has been understandable quiet from the Devs due to the major task that this would be. Any hint, and they'd be inundated with release date request. [and that's just for PC-64] :shock: Believe me ... fingers are crossed, and the credit card is ready ... but none of us know :roll:

My Sincerely heartfelt
rj
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:31 am

Update News !

Had a little time to do a quick update on my website.

Just wanted to notify that the NVC-BMeQ DEMO is now available for downloading at:

http://www.upallnite.us/nvc-bmeq.html

Please check it out and let me know if the site is working. I've still plenty to do there :|

Anyway ... give this controller a good test. I've been using this on several mastering projects. This is a special EQ for sure ... and the NVC opens the entire experience !
8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Re: NVC-BMeQ - DEMO is NOW available !

Postby mathias » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:43 am

hey RJ, i was up all nite :D to test your demo of NVC for BMeQ.

i had to use metaplugin and your midifilterplugin to get it to work in samplitude.
i did not find a way to route midi to nebula in samplitude atm.
the positive side of working with metaplugin is, that it is available in all hosts with a preset, once the setup is saved.

it is a great feeling to have the whole eq at my fingertips now! nice work, you have done with your controler adventure!

while i was playing around, i tried to use the nvc plugin together with vxplug.
it is a host for vst plugins, that has some interesting midi capabilities and an extra send/receive plugin to get sound from anywhere in your project into a pluginchain. it works great, together with your controlerplugin and can host the whole nebula chain.
there is also a switch, where one can change from serial to parallel processing, with automatic loudness-compensation, which is a great experimentation field with nebula eqs.
maybe you know it already, here is a link if you want to have a look:
http://www.vertexdsp.com/products_vxplug.html

thanks again, great tool,

best, mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby kylen » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:16 am

RJ - I wanted to try and test my PC out to see if it will run the NVC-BMeQ. If I put something like 6 instances of Nebula on a track and load AlexB's BMeQ in each of them would that be a good way to see if I even have the power to try the demo?
kylen

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:36 am

kylen wrote:RJ - I wanted to try and test my PC out to see if it will run the NVC-BMeQ. If I put something like 6 instances of Nebula on a track and load AlexB's BMeQ in each of them would that be a good way to see if I even have the power to try the demo?

Yes.
The NVC uses very little power or resources.
Loading your system with the Neb's will give you
Good indicator.
Keep in mind... If you don't need all 6 bands
It won't matter to the NVC. Either bypass them
Or keep at INIT preset (via the NVC) or
Just load the number of Neb's you want.
The MIDI channel defines the path.
To be clear... Only the full blown eq would need
All6 Nebulas.

Hope that help clarify;)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby koda » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:04 pm

I didn't understand (in the various posts) if this will work with reaper 64 bit (since reaper does automatic bridging with 32 bit).
Also if we create nebula setups can we create setups that include more libs?
For example if I use your NVC-Air controller for Olonga Air, can I create a setup wich contains Olonga Air+other libs? (I ask this for those libs that go together like for example AlexB Console+EQ+Dynamic)
koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:17 pm

koda wrote:I didn't understand (in the various posts) if this will work with reaper 64 bit (since reaper does automatic bridging with 32 bit).
Also if we create nebula setups can we create setups that include more libs?
For example if I use your NVC-Air controller for Olonga Air, can I create a setup wich contains Olonga Air+other libs? (I ask this for those libs that go together like for example AlexB Console+EQ+Dynamic)

Hi koda,
Yes, it should work [bridged] in Reaper64. I still suggest trying the demo out first.

As to 'mixing' various libraries together ... not at this time.

There are a multitude of reasons due to the nature, design, and function that a preset consists of.

When the NVC reads in the 'setup' XML file, in order to configure itself, the file data of all the presets are organized into specific groups. These groups define the GUI design and function. These can be different even within the same library. It really comes down to how the preset library was created. One of the biggest challenges can be organizing all the presets into a coherent design.

The NVC takes into account what presets the User has defined for their custom library. This includes all the various 'kernel' flavors as well as sample rate presets. I have tried to design the NVC to allow the user freedom to define the core presets they want to have access to within the custom Nebula.

As Nebula develops into the future, I will be monitoring. If new doorway possibilities open, I will definitely be looking to take NVC to the next level.

As to DAW integration ... I'm finding chaining programs like BIDULE and METAPlugin [along with my free MIDI Channel filter/Audio Router] to be working very well.

Does this help clarify ?

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries