Login

E.A.R. - early reflections or just tail?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

E.A.R. - early reflections or just tail?

Postby dagovitsj » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi!
I wonder if anyone know if some of the spaces in EAR is only the early reflections or if they're all different types of tails from different rooms? Can't find any info about it in the manual.

If not, what kind of plugins do you recommend that have a good engine to create/recreate early reflections?

Thanks!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: E.A.R. - early reflections or just tail?

Postby mathias » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:29 am

i think it is full reverbs, early reflections plus tails, all of them.
as we don't know what device this is, we can only speculate ...

you can get early reflections only, directly in nebula, by reducing the kernellength to something between 40 - 60 ms.
but the fadeout will be pretty abrupt. sometimes works, sometimes not.
when you glue a different tail to it (with a convolution reverb like reverberate for example), you can possibly mask it and create a different impression.

extracting the tail is not possible.

but i wonder why you would want to do that with the ear collection.
to my ears the early and late parts of this reverbs sound so "one", which is, what makes them so special.
this is the goal of every perfect room impression, no difference between early and late, just one cohesive perception of envelopment with a particular roomfeeling.

one of the most revered room simulator, the quantec yardstick, is all about this resonating room feeling (it may well be the device sampled 8-) ).

my 2 cents ;-)

best,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mathias » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:34 am

to your question about a plugin:

have a look at reverberate. additionally to traditional convolution, it offers special early and late modelers, that can be mixed with the convolution engine. you can also "extract" early and late parts of impulses, with manipulating them inside reverberate.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Hi!
you can get early reflections only, directly in nebula, by reducing the kernellength to something between 40 - 60 ms.

- Thanks, I didn't know that! Good tip.

but i wonder why you would want to do that with the ear collection.
to my ears the early and late parts of this reverbs sound so "one", which is, what makes them so special.
this is the goal of every perfect room impression, no difference between early and late, just one cohesive perception of envelopment with a particular roomfeeling.

- I'm not an expert regarding reverb, but AFAIK the ER (early reflections) give the impression/cue of the size of the room, and then after some ms you get the tail. If I just want to put the vocal in a space, give the impression of that it's recorded a little further from the microphone than very close, I can just use the ER, and use combinations of ER, and different tails to place different instruments in the space. I know it's very common in orchestral music to create different spaces with the combination of ER from convolution plugins and tails from algo plugins.

I reckon most of you who are experienced mixers around here use 3-4 different spaces (short, middle, long) and probably some delay to place different instruments in the space/mix to get 3D and separation?

have a look at reverberate. additionally to traditional convolution, it offers special early and late modelers, that can be mixed with the convolution engine. you can also "extract" early and late parts of impulses, with manipulating them inside reverberate.

- Thanks for that tip, I'll check it out!

Best
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to 3rd party libraries