Login

NVC - Series - General News

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - Series - General News

Postby garyk_123 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:19 am

Hi RJ,

I dropped off for a bit and it seems like nvc air has as well. I know you're busy, but are there any plans to release it? I don't see it on the website.
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:54 am

garyk_123 wrote:Hi RJ,

I dropped off for a bit and it seems like nvc air has as well. I know you're busy, but are there any plans to release it? I don't see it on the website.

Hi garyk_123

Ah ... the NVC-AIR ... I did pull it off the shelf for the time being .... and then things got busy, and, well ... that's why it's still not there :roll:

Honestly, I had really hoped that Henry was going to find time to update/expand the AIR library, but then he got busy in production.

As for the NVC-AIR ... there is a full working version that handles the current library. The issue of the output gain from the different presets was addressed with a special 'satellite' VST plugin that I made ... basically a VCA amplifier that automatically responds to presets changes ... all configurable. I was then able to actually use the library. Since then, I had designed another support plug that handled MIDI Channel filtering and By-pass routing-muting ... all without any nasty spikes. This new plugin seemed a little better to me ... I've just not had time to changed the one for the AIR controller. Between audio projects, I'm trying to find time to build some new controllers that I need ... but please, do a favor ... please remind me to get the NVC-AIR demo posted back up on my site ... sometimes I get going on things that take me other places ... so do remind me :lol:

Speaking of other places ... oh this GeQ library from CDS. :shock: Once again, I had only used bits and pieces [typical Nebula experience] of select presets ... hey ... just thought it was another great EQ [well ... quite familiar with its role in mastering], but as a Nebula library, I found it cumbersome to bring into realtime production. Each of the available 'Qs' are separate presets, and each have their own frequency selection ... again, not easy to aways keep track [probably thru more use it would get better ... but still :| ].

Then, I've been trying to solve a design issue that would allow a more custom layout of the eq choices. Basically treating the VST GUI as a 'Rack' that can hold any of the available modules. The GeQ was ideal candidate.

The past day or two, I've been testing this flexible layout. The GeQ presets are: Narrow, Medium, Wide, and Shelf choices for EQ bands. Pushing the size limit, I have the rack space to hold 9 modules, with the 10th module dedicated to the Pre-Amp. Within the 9 available 'slots', we can select ANY band design. So if you want a couple shelfs, several Medium Q's, a couple Wides, and a few Narrow Q's ... we choose as we need. :o 8-)

The concept does work. I've been putting it to the test on some difficult mastering/restoration projects, and really liking the ability and flexibility.

The only drawback ... the footprint that the GeQ demands ... when I brought all 10 modules on-line, it looked to be around 1 gig of memory. The SR conversion to 44.1 also took quite some time [maybe this improves with the latest NEB versions ... we'll see]. Once loaded ... it is such a better work experience to actually use this library. Of course ... this 'user choice' also has all the other features included from the NVC series ... dynamic preset changes that retain user settings, EQ gain bypass for quick A/B compare, etc ...

Thinking ahead, I'm considering techniques that could lead to even better optimization, because I think this 'Rack' concept offers some very nice features. I'll try to post some pix to help show the idea.

I've like the idea of GUI designs that function like the hardware ... but always have questioned if we should be also 'limited' to what the hardware layout is. Of course, the NVC is designed from the library it is to control ... but there are times when I need an extra 'band or 3', and I'd prefer to stay on the same controller GUI.

Anyway ... this is a new design technique for me. This new proto-type opens some promising new possibilities.

until later !

Hey ... comments, ideas, suggests continue to be welcomed. [also reminders too].

Let me know what you think ;) I'll post me info when I can.
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby garyk_123 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:03 pm

Hey RJ, thanks for that. I certainly will be reminding you - I'm not keen on going down the iLok route for Kush's algo, and I hear tell that yours sounds more like his hardware anyway (no surprises...)

If I recall correctly, Henry was hoping for an improved version of NAT for some (good) reason I can't remember. I think he was therefore reluctant to upgrade AIR and possibly other libraries too.

Keep up the good work, but do take a break now and again! Us Nebulites will just have to wait while you catch a breath!

best...
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:16 pm

garyk_123 wrote:...I'm not keen on going down the iLok route for Kush's algo, and I hear tell that yours sounds more like his hardware anyway (no surprises...) ...

:shock:

Just to be clear ... the NVC's require Nebula AND the specific library, so in this case, Henry's AIR library. The NVC is purely a MIDI controller. The ONLY sounds it can make are with the built-in CALIBRATION tones used to balance gain structure.

Henry had mentioned expanding the AIR library with smaller 'gain' steps. The current release contains 8 Banks, each with 8 gain presets - in 2dB steps [64 presets in total].

If Henry updates the library with smaller gain steps [maybe 128 presets], I would need to update the NVC-AIR accordingly. This is not an issue, and I really do hope that this happens :)

hope this clarifies.
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby garyk_123 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi RJ,

Sorry for any confusion, my typo. I meant Henry's library of course, and your MIDI controller.

best
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Sat May 10, 2014 7:47 am

Behind the scenes ...

I've just began serious testing the latest concept ... referred to as the 'NVC - RACK' :o

The first design is aimed at the GeQ library from CDS.

I thought this is an ideal library to use for this new design. As mentioned earlier, the GeQ [which is really fantastic library], is built on 4 different 'Q' preset designs ... narrow, medium, wide, and shelf. [also the preamp].

Excepting the NVC-Mammoth, all the NVC's were designed like many VST EQ plugins ... each of the available 'bands' where pre-defined [although you could change filter designs]. Some EQ's had much more freedom in their construction that allowed each node to be prescribed a filter shape ... problem there ... they are not based on specific hardware as Nebula.

What I was never keen on, was being locked into x number of bands, or only having one shelf, etc ... of course with Nebula, we'd load another instance, and assign as we need.

This is the basis of the NVC-RAK [i just made that up :mrgreen: ] :lol:

The current layout is a dual rack space that can hold 10 modules [9 eq bands, and a dedicated preamp space] for a specific library. [GeQ first].

In ANY of the available 9 'slots', we can choose from any of the available 4 preset designs. This means we can define the EQ as we need. :shock: If we need 2 shelfs [hi/low], a wide, 2 mediums, and a few narrows ... they are right there ... maybe you need 4 shelves :shock: whatever ...

Major changes went into the GUI operations for this. Using VECTOR designs that are configured in realtime allows for a more resource efficient controller. It also allows for new functionality such as switching a knob from 'stepped' mode to continuous [basically 128 MIDI steps - based on current Nebula MIDI design].

I've also made changes to the overall GUI display. In particular, the G-DRV and DIST controllers.

Personally ... I'm not much on using these 2 controls ... and most of my libraries don't have the G-DRV available anyway :roll: This issue was the screen space needed for these 2 controls. A dual-function slider was designed that help minimize the space needed ... but this still affected the overall GUI size [but still added to it].

In this RAK design I've incorporated a pop-up window that reveals 2 independant sliders for each module. A button click opens the pop-up for adjustments and to close it. ALWAYS in the module display are the current VALUES that the G-DRV and DIST are set at. Using this type of display design has helped for a cleaner overall GUI [IMO].

I'll get some screen shots up if you are interested ... but at the moment I'm doing the serious testing.

Using the NVC-RAK for the GeQ has also revealed how wonderful this GeQ library is, as, once again, bringing all elements under a unified, interactive controller, exposes the real power that this library offers.

OK ... back to mastering session for me with the RAK.
more news later 8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Sat May 10, 2014 10:50 pm

very good!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby novocane99 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:15 am

Hi RJ,

I've tried to load the Mammoth demo in Presonus Studio One (recently I've switched from the Reaper to Studio One as Studio One can transmit MIDI Learned VST Parameter values back to my BCR2000)...

The NVC Mammoth demo does not seem to show in Presonus at all

Can you shed any light?

novocane99
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby RJHollins » Sun May 25, 2014 3:46 am

novocane99 wrote:Hi RJ,

The NVC Mammoth demo does not seem to show in Presonus at all

Can you shed any light?

Hi novocane99,

You didn't post any details, so tough to surmize ...
Were you able to see and load using Reaper ?

I just tested NVC-Mammoth loading into my older version of Studio1 [which I really don't use] ...
Here's my screenshot:
Studio1 with NVC-Mammoth.jpg

In the EFX list, it shows as NVC-Mammoth v2.

Be sure that the folder 'NVC-MP [MINI]' is in your default VST location.
Let me know if that helps.
rj

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby novocane99 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi RJ,

yes I was able to see and load into Reaper fine...

There's a screenshot of the plugin locations from Studio One attached...

and I believe the plugin should show in the browser list on the right below the 'NEW SETUP' plugin.

I have searched for the plugin within the Studio One FX browser and also tried changing it's location on my harddrive whilst pointing Studio One to the new VST location - but to no avail,

p.s. my Studio One version is 2.6.2.25590

Attachments
SCreen1.jpg
novocane99
User Level 0
User Level 0

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries