Login

NVC - Series - General News

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - Series - General News

Postby babiuk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Sorry, I was maybe not clear at all, I will try to explain better:

I of course own neb3 pro, I own poolteq from alexB and nebula setups.
As I told, I have got to solve the NVC messy setup and I succesfully am able to use it (though I still didnt have time to play with it)

What I am asking about is the "licenses" matters you have talk about, because I see I can use NCV and I never did anything relating licenses, I even have seen on my account area that I have no Licenses tab or similar, that is why I toldit is maybe offtopic, should I have licenses tab?
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:48 am

Hi babiuk,

All the NVC controllers I've posted are in DEMO mode. In this mode there will be interruptions and a message displayed, controls will go to neutral [thus changing settings to zero for a duration, then return.

I've tried to straddle the fine line of working with the controller before 'bugging' them :P

To activate any NVC and remove all restrictions and interruptions, I use a special REG file that is personally processed and emailed. This too, I've tried to be 'user friendly' as possible. 8-)

-----

other news and events ...

I have sent special notice to several NVC-Mammoth users that are using the latest AITB library, of an update that I'd like to test.

So everyone knows, there are 2 library versions that are in circulation. The 'original - un-protected' release, and then the CP release.

There where changes made to preset names that the NVC parser could not anticipate.

The NVC-Mammoth V2 is to be tested to address the CP library release.

See where this takes us.

Thanks everyone !
more news later 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Hannes_F » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:06 am

Working much better now ... will do more testing but this looks like being highly usable. Thank you.
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby babiuk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:10 pm

So Mammoth v2 is sonically different from old version?
I bought it a lot time ago and I don't know if I must upgrade it, is it worth?
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:30 pm

babiuk wrote:So Mammoth v2 is sonically different from old version?
I bought it a lot time ago and I don't know if I must upgrade it, is it worth?

Hi babiuk,

I don't think the Mammoth library changed from the original [non protected] release as far as the sampling goes.

It looks like the 'naming' of the presets was changed to be consistent across the library. The earliest version had an 'expansion' pak added with it's unique 'header' names [MAMEXP].

The current release has unified the naming 'headers' to MAMMOTH.

It's just a 'cosmetic' change, but enough to fool the NVC parser.

Because of this naming change, we are testing [what I've temp called] NVC-Mammoth V2.
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Vando » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:15 am

Has anyone got this NVC thing work in 64 bit Cubase? And if someone has, how did you do it? Or is this a Reaper only thing?
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:56 am

Vando wrote:Has anyone got this NVC thing work in 64 bit Cubase? And if someone has, how did you do it? Or is this a Reaper only thing?

Hi Vando,

I had hoped someone would have posted for you.

I can tell you, this is NOT a Reaper only. The NVC's are pure MIDI communication to Nebula, so any DAW that handles MIDI will work.

I'm not familiar with the many versions of Cubase, but as to 64-bit, the use of J-Bridge will be needed. I work 32-bit, so I'm not able to help much on that aspect.

Many of the NVC's are designed to handle quite a number of Nebulas. I don't know if Cubase has limits on the number of inserts in an FXChain. I use WaveLab, and it has 8 slots ... but no MIDI :roll:

I've switched to using Plogue BIDULE as a chainer. So even in REAPER I only have 2 basic plugins in the chain, the NVC and Bidule [yes, I also have other plugs in there ... but those 2 contain everything. An alternative chainer is METAPlugin.

I've also posted a special MIDI Channel Filter/ Audio Router plug on my site that I use within Bidule.

There are DEMOs for everything, so you can try things out. If you have a specific question, we might be able to help.

Other news ...

I've done some equipment upgrades/changes recently.

A new power amp has come in. :o

A completely restored DYNACO ST-70 tube amp is now driving the AURATONES. :shock:

This is quite a change from my usual 'transistor' amp choice. We have 4 matched MULLARDS and new rectifier tubes ... well ... all the tubes are new. My technician is very 'tube' experienced, and went in with 1% tolerance resistors and caps [and whatever else needed to bring into original spec ... or better] :lol:

Wow ... this has been a pleasant surprise sonically. Really liking what I hear. [should have maybe done this 30 years ago ... though the early Hafler's were nice. ;)

To celebrate ... I'm mastering a Big Band performance that I was sent. Great band, in a nothing special room, recording with what seems a portable recorder. The project was sent to me on a small micro-memory card.

For grins ... I started with the MFeQ and it's NVC controller. :o

I have to say, this is quite the EQ. Flexible to the extreme. Whatever character is added is just complimentary to the track ... although I do switch several bands to 1 kernel [I ended up using nearly all 10 bands to reshape the entire sonic envelop].

Throughout this ... I am so glad to have my AURATONES back on line. Within seconds of playing the original source, the problems were quickly identified. With the NVC, I could fly through all the the band settings, and quickly reshape and fix. Within 10 minutes I had a track that was gelling in 3 different reference systems. Each system has a wider response as I go along. I've always tend to start with the mids, and that's what my Auratones live for ... wow ... how I really missed them ... but they are back !! :D

With the budget, I'm able to also test master with some of the traditional mastering eq's ... at least the ones I have NVC's built for. The budget is not huge, but the efficiency/workflow of the NVC's just gives me much more freedom to play ... quickly 8-)

Anyway ... it is great to finally have my full reference monitors in place and working. Just in time for a bunch of projects that a lining up ! YEAH !!

Until later ... 8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Vando » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Hello RJ!

Thanks for the answer. Maybe some day when I have a little spare time in my hands I will concentrate on this beast. Of course I'd still like to hear from someone who has succeeded making NVC work in 64 bits computer, because it would save time and trouble for us who haven't got it work. Obviously it's Nebulas that should be j-bridged since NVC it self is 32 bits, right?. How about if I use a 32 bit Nebula, because I think there is one in my Products folder along with the 64 bit thing.

Cheers

Vando
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Vando wrote:Hello RJ!
Obviously it's Nebulas that should be j-bridged since NVC it self is 32 bits, right?. Vando

Hi Vando,

I think if you are running 64-bit OS and are using a 64-bit DAW .... then inserting 32-bit plugins would need J-Bridge. That is my limited understanding.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 am

It's been busy .... yeah ! :lol:

Found a little 'experimentation' time :o

I had an old controller designed for the CDS - GEQ equalizer. It was based on Reaper's Parameter Modulation for controllers. That meant basic knob and button functions :roll: All the advanced features of the NVC were very much missed ... so it was time to plan a proper NVC-GeQ 8-)

The GeQ library consist of 4 base EQ functions and the PreAmp. The EQ's presets are 'Narrow, Medium, Wide, and Shelf curves. The challenge was how best to represent this library with an NVC controller.

My first effort was to build a module for each curve. This gave 4 different curves to work with. hmmm. :roll: The 'shelf' band covers 15hz to 20kHz, so it was quickly decided that we need 2 shelfs available [top and bottom].

The Narrow, Medium, and Wide presets each cover the full spectrum, but with different FREQUENCY choices. With these choices come the ability to do broad curves, right down to surgical. The issue of consideration ... what type of curves would be most needed ... hmmm .... I would never know until I NEEDED them :o

With that, the 2nd design basically double all the modules to have a pair of each available curve. This put the Nebula total to 9 [8-eq's and a preamp].

This was an improvement, but still put a restriction on curve choices. What if I needed to favor more gentle slopes ... or, what if multiple, surgical tactics were needed. Again ... would not really know what task we may face. I certainly didn't want to call in a duplicate of the chain just to get needed presets ... if I didn't have too :P

Drawing on concepts from previous NVC controllers, I looked at the NVC-Mammoth [mini] for insight. Due to the library design of the GeQ, I was not thinking to duplicate the functionality like the Mammoth-mini parallels the M/P unit.

What IF we could choose the bands [curves] we need :shock: hmmm ... :idea:

We set up the main GUI to house a certain total number of modules or slots ... for a given 'slot', the engineer selects a desired curve preset.

Maybe a project needs 2 shelfs, several MEDIUM curves, maybe a wide curve or 2, and a couple of surgical bands.

We talking a User customizable EQ :mrgreen:

.... and that is what I now have working in the current proto-type. 8-)

The only concern ... how big the main GUI should be [the VST2.4 protocol doesn't allow resizing :| ]

The GeQ is, beside being a fantastic equalizer, is also a good candidate for this customizing design.

I'm currently testing this proto-type. It is working very solid ... what I'm focusing on is functionality.
In it's current design, it is very dynamic, and totally flexible ... maybe even too flexible .... this is what I need to test. Honestly, I'm not thinking a restricting it ...

The first decision will be HOW MANY 'slots' should it have available :mrgreen: I think 8 or 9 and a PreAmp may be max.

until later 8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries