Login

NVC - Series - General News

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - Series - General News

Postby Hannes_F » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 am

OK, I examined what the interface does with JS MIDI logger and it seems to work ok. I am sure that whatever obstacles there are they can be overcome with a JS script if nothing else helps. So I took the plunge and ordered it and we will work from there.

Setups license arrived now, let us see how this helps further.
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby RJHollins » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:21 am

Hannes_F wrote:@RJHollins
OK, video works now here. I got a dropbox error message all day on a WinXP laptop but am now on a Win 7 desktop, maybe that is why. Will watch it now.

While I am waiting for the Setups license I tried the next step: Inserting MIDIReaRoute gives the error message "This plug is dedicated to the REAPER host. Goodbye". However I am on Reaper x64. Any ideas?

Strange about the DropBox ... I'm on WinXP too ? :shock: Anyway, glad its working !

The 'MIDIReaRoute'. I have updated the Reaper stash stuff to include the 64-bit version. That is the one you would use.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:23 am

Hannes_F wrote:OK, I examined what the interface does with JS MIDI logger and it seems to work ok. I am sure that whatever obstacles there are they can be overcome with a JS script if nothing else helps. So I took the plunge and ordered it and we will work from there.

Setups license arrived now, let us see how this helps further.

OK !

And just to confirm ... I just sent your REG file for the NVC-Mammoth. Thank-you for your support ! 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Hannes_F » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:24 am

@RJHollins
Thank you for the license, the nag screen is gone. So I think I should have everything together except MidiReaRoute which is not going to work in 64 bit - says the Reaper forum:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=93511

What exactly is MidiReaRoute supposed to do? I understand that we have
1. midi busses
2. midi channels
3. cc controls
4. individual control values.

The data that the midi logger shows looks like
0 B1 b0 14 24
That would be
Midi bus 2 (B1)
Midi channel 1 (b0)
cc 20 (14)
individual value 36 (24)

Yes / no / maybe?

Now NVC should send the data for each Nebula instance to a different Midi bus and the Bus_Router is there to sort that to the according Nebula instance, right?

Why doesn't it work that NVC simply sends to different busses and we make the Nebula instances listen to only their own data with the MIDI input selector - without the help of Bus_Router and MidiReaRoute?

Additional question: Obviously my Reaper listens to the correct cc's but on channel 16, at least this is what it says in the MIDI setup window. Is that how it is supposed to be (I believe not).

Thanks
Hannes
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Hannes_F » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:59 am

In answering the first question:

NVC is sending to different midi channels and the Bus_Router then sorts this to different midi busses, but there always on channel 1. At least that is how it is supposed to work according to your document and film.

Question: Could not NVC send to different midi busses right away?
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Hannes_F » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:07 am

RJHollins wrote:The 'MIDIReaRoute'. I have updated the Reaper stash stuff to include the 64-bit version. That is the one you would use.

Ah, I just saw this one. Thanks - however I see still the same file with date of 2010-04-06?

EDIT: Wow, it seems I do the same things over and over again. See this thread - totally forgotten:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=889

So there is a MIDI learn feature in Reaper? Maybe that can help.
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby RJHollins » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:23 am

Hannes_F wrote:@RJHollins
Thank you for the license, the nag screen is gone. So I think I should have everything together except MidiReaRoute which is not going to work in 64 bit - says the Reaper forum:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=93511

What exactly is MidiReaRoute supposed to do? I understand that we have
1. midi busses
2. midi channels
3. cc controls
4. individual control values.

The data that the midi logger shows looks like
0 B1 b0 14 24
That would be
Midi bus 2 (B1)
Midi channel 1 (b0)
cc 20 (14)
individual value 36 (24)

Yes / no / maybe?

Now NVC should send the data for each Nebula instance to a different Midi bus and the Bus_Router is there to sort that to the according Nebula instance, right?

Why doesn't it work that NVC simply sends to different busses and we make the Nebula instances listen to only their own data with the MIDI input selector - without the help of Bus_Router and MidiReaRoute?

Additional question: Obviously my Reaper listens to the correct cc's but on channel 16, at least this is what it says in the MIDI setup window. Is that how it is supposed to be (I believe not).

Thanks
Hannes

Hi Hannes ... just flying in to check on things. Let me see if I can answer some of it.

I've posted about this 'MidiReaRoute', and never really got an answer ... except for a link to the authors site. On there he has a 64-bit version added. It looks a bit different than the 32 bit GUI design. Regardless of looks, the 64 plugin runs without the 'BYE' message. The 'default' setting is what I'm told is being used by other NVC users [running all 64-bit OS and Reaper].

The need for this is purely for Reaper. From the author,
Use case examples:
- enabling automations only for some MIDI harware inputs and for some MIDI msg types
- easier learn (i.e. filter channel + type of MIDI msg)
- combined other MIDI FXs, you can now process events before sending them to the conrol path
example: routing all CC4 to a given channel, so that it triggers the same action whatever is its original channel.
- MIDI item automation: FX params driven at "play time" through recorded midi items
- Complex/conditionnal FX control through JS effects (generating the CC events).
one of my use cases: reaDelay length live control according to the e-drummer's beat (live = no metronome)
- etc.. well, there're lot possible things!

Now, I will re-state, that although I do use Reaper, I have added Plogue BIDULE [r the METAPlugin chainer]as my goto chain. I like Reaper, and it has some great features ... but I'm really liking the way I can route with BIDULE.

ALSO ... I don't need to use any of the Reaper 'support' plugins. So my FXChain is basically an NVC controller followed by BIDULE.

I also have posted a special [free]MIDI Channel Filter/AudioRouter that I use inside BIDULE.

Alright ... just moving through quickly for now ...Be sure you have downloaded the latest Reaper support files that I posted on my site. Inside there you should see 'MIDItoReaControlPath_v1.0_x64.zip'. that is the 64-bit reported working.

I'll check back in later ;)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:25 am

So there is a MIDI learn feature in Reaper? Maybe that can help.

oh yes ... that is used to teach the BYPASS function as shown in the Reaper video.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby babiuk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:25 am

Thanks for tips, I had a little time to follow video step by step and it worked! ;)

Thanks a lot Hannes_F and RJHollins!
Anyway I have to say it is not a very funny process to setting up the tool. At least you just do it once and save as FXchain, this is fine.

Anyway I found some troubles on the way, like placing the midi_buss plugin at its place, at the end I discovered the target location is (if anybody is at this step):
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\REAPER\Effects\MIDI

Thanks again
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:28 am

Question: Could not NVC send to different midi busses right away?

The busses are Reaper specific and are accessed via some A*I calls [at least that is something like I read ... and whatever those are :shock: ].

To be honest ... I'm surprised that this is not built into Reaper already.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries