Login

NVC - Series - General News

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - Series - General News

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:05 am

update news: Well ... minor news :lol:

I've modified the web site to better highlight some available documentation on the NVC controllers. There is a lot of stuff in there.

Even though the NVC-PTeQ is used in the example, the concept is the same for all NVC's.

There is also a video available that shows setting up the NVC in REAPER. This is a real-time vid with text insert ... no voice-over yet ... but this should also help.

I will more than likely need to pause on further NVC designs, and begin addressing the documentation and some tutorials. If I could hire someone to do this ... I would ! :lol: It is difficult to get to an 'outside' looking in perspective when I've been in so deep :roll: But we'll try ! I have no idea how long this'll take ... meantime, will try to field questions here as they come in.

Thanks for your support and understanding !
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby hopi2013 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:01 pm

RJ... that video link seems to be not working.

I read through the set up pdf today... OMG
I did not realize there is so much needed with the various MIDI configurations and other plugins.
Now do I understand it correctly:

The NVC is using it's gui controls to tweak the various loaded Neb's with MIDI messages...right?

If that is right, ...I hate say this, but it seems like a lot to have a user do, ...I'm hoping I am wrong.
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby koda » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26 pm

The video you posted definitely makes the difference on understanding how to set this up (in Reaper at least).
And yes indeed it's a bit of work but I think it's worth it and being able to save an FX chain makes this a breeze! (at least in Reaper)
koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:57 pm

hopi2013 wrote:RJ... that video link seems to be not working.

I read through the set up pdf today... OMG
I did not realize there is so much needed with the various MIDI configurations and other plugins.
Now do I understand it correctly:

The NVC is using it's gui controls to tweak the various loaded Neb's with MIDI messages...right?

If that is right, ...I hate say this, but it seems like a lot to have a user do, ...I'm hoping I am wrong.

Hi Hopi.

I'll re-check the video link ... was working last nite, but maybe I messed something.

As to the NVC controls ... most every GUI item on the NVC is a MIDI control message that 'speak' directly to the MIDI engine within Nebula.

As to the PDF ... well, like I say, I have lots of details in there :shock: It's a first or second draft that did NOT end up as a 'quick guide' that's for sure. :lol:

I'm going to pause on any more NVC designs, and focus on some short tutorials to hopefully help everyone.

I'll say this ... it looks like a lot, but once seen how to do it, it really is straight forward/simple.

Keep in mind.

Assigning the 8 [CC] numbers into Nebula, either from the NEBULA MIDI page, or editing the XML is a one time operation.

From then on, using Zabukowski's 'Nebula SetUPs' will include those edits in all the custom Nebulas created.

The same XML file that 'SetUps' creates is a one-button LOAD in NVC to configure the NVC ... from then on, the NVC will use its own special config file that AUTO-Loads.

The DAW routing is where it can get tricky. However, the way I do it in REAPER takes about 5 minutes [or less] to setup. Even if it takes longer ... saving it as an FXChain, then it is a one-time build.

Even easier, I believe, is using BIDULE or METAPlugin. Once wired in [using the special utility plug I made for this], we can now use this 'chainer preset' in any DAW. BIDULE makes it even easier to build the next NVC/Nebula package, in that BIDULE has a 'SWAPPING' feature that lets you SWITCH one plug-in for another. So you have your basic 'chain' built. and can use that to 'switch' for a new controller. Save it off as a Bidule, or FXChain, and then this pre-made package is ready to drop in for a project.

The time spent to set this up cannot compare to the efficiency and work-flow gained. This cannot be appreciated/realized until you've actually tried it.

It does no good for me to just say that, I know ...

I'll get started on the tuts ... ;)
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby hopi2013 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks RJ and 'tits' on the tuts.. :D

OH... and then wondering, ...no 64 bit??? I am just about 99% 64 bit these days.

So when I make the files in Nebula Setups, it is only using the 64 bit Neb3 dll... is that going to be OK?

I don't mean to distract you from all you have to do, so I'm not in any dire rush for these answers. :)
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:01 am

hopi2013 wrote:Thanks RJ and 'tits' on the tuts.. :D

OH... and then wondering, ...no 64 bit??? I am just about 99% 64 bit these days.

So when I make the files in Nebula Setups, it is only using the 64 bit Neb3 dll... is that going to be OK?

I don't mean to distract you from all you have to do, so I'm not in any dire rush for these answers. :)

T for T :lol:

I appreciate the distraction ... I'm psyching myself to take on the TUTs [personally, would prefer the 'other' mentioned 'T'] :lol: but hey ... I'm going in without a script, by the seat of da pants ... and working without a net. :shock:

Anyway ... 64-bit.

Life would be a little brighter if I could compile to that format ... just not possible now.

However ... reports I get back, particularly the very intensive NVC-Mammoth are being run on 64-bit machines with a bridge. The NEBULA's are native-64.

There was a previous issue with my 'MIDIChannel Filter/ AudioRouter', but that has been corrected and is working [bridged I believe].

Some people hate bridging ... I started thinking that I normally use Reapers 'Dedicated Process' for my normal chain ... should a NEB go down, I can recover and continue.

Bottomline ... the demos are there for personal testing. I have intentially tried to delay purchases so that everyone can test this for themselves.

This is not a 'software mogal' goal for me. :lol: Each NVC starts as a 'personal' tool that I test up and down and sideways. If something bugs me, or limits what I need to do ... I try to figure a solution to improve the work experience with Nebula.
I do hope that the MIDI system within Nebula gets further developed/implimented. [I've made this request known often]. Try to do some MIDI automation with a series of NEBULA's in the chain ... they all will respond because they only know OMNI mode. :evil:
There is no MIDI access to the Main IN/OUT sliders. No acess to the built-in 'Bypass' button. There's more ... we could really use all these functions in todays MIDI work environment.

... got to fly ... back later.
rj

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby hopi2013 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:26 am

yes, I do realize you are trying to do a good thing and not be a software mogal... :lol:

And yes, I've seen the pleas for diff midi in Neb which certainly would be a good thing, especially in the long run, eh?

I'll just have to bite the bullet and give your method a shot... but darn I wish there was a simpler way.
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:01 pm

hopi2013 wrote:I'll just have to bite the bullet and give your method a shot... but darn I wish there was a simpler way.

I think that will happen ... you have to believe, if/when/should a simpler way for any of these functions happen, I'll be the ready to implement.

The very early design needed each preset to be hand entered into NVC :o With some libraries, there were over 200 presets :shock: That is no longer the case, as we now have an automatic 'parsing' of the 'Setups' XML file that extracts, sorts, groups, and organizes the presets for the NVC. This is a 'one-button' LOAD feature. If you never change the custom library ... then, you will not need to give it a second thought. If you decide to change the library, for whatever reason, then just one-time load that XML file again ... the NVC will be 1:1 locked to your custom library.

Once I figured out how to do that ... I expanded my custom setup with all combinations available. [believe me, I too dreaded hand entering all those values] :lol:

The BIDULE chainer is yet another great addition ... not only for making an NVC chain ... but it allows special routing, such as 'parallel' processing that is much easier to visualize and configure. It also makes for 'portability' between DAWs. [METAPlugin can do this too].

Reaper is another great tool. It's FXchain and routing are very flexible. If you watch the video I posted [it did work for me], I show the entire setup. It may look confusing ... but once you see what is being done, it is a simple pattern. Once seen, a chain can be built in less than 5 minutes. Once built, save it as an FXChain preset. Drop it into the next project and it's all ready to go.

The 'invested' time to initial setup will pale in comparison to the liberating work-flow. With all the standard features that go into each NVC, you will make better sonic decisions, with less effort, and really tune into how these libraries work [in their Nebula form]. This is as close to hardware function and operation ... with all the 'extras' that the library Devs include, that I have experienced with Nebula. My next set is to link in to a physical hardware controller. The NVC is primed for that. ;)

I should say ... the 'you' I'm referring to is everybody who uses Nebula.

You guys know that I'm rather biased in talking NVC ... and I do apologize for the slack documentation and tutorials. There is a time crunch going on. These controllers, which primarily have favored the 'mastering' tools [though, there is no real distinction]. After some 30 years in the Profession ... I'm out of the 8 days a week as a tracking/mix engineer-producer. Discovering Nebula had pulled me out of semi-retirement. Nebula was a key motivator in my decision to build a personal mastering suite. Music is indeed my life. Nebula has allowed me to utilize EQ's, tapes, and consoles that I spent my life playing ... the nice thing ... no cartage fees, nor travel tickets to get to a different board :lol:

Now that I've been 'digitally' converted, I want my computer-based experience to [at least] match or surpass the work-flow and ergonomics that a well designed/equipped control offers [that's one reason 'those' studio cost what they did].

There is plenty envisioned for what the NVC's will be capable of. I am early in the development and programming. There are also 'tools' I'm thinking of that are not Nebula specific, but are things I see essential to audio engineering.

There are several NVC's I still need for my work, but I'll do the 'back-burner' mode and get some tutorial stuff to you guys. They won't be fancy or professionally produced [not happy about that] ... but there is the time crunch ... and the spare-time has been slim to none. But this is very important, and the easier/quicker 'you' can get up and running, the sooner the understanding for this excitement.
As Nebula evolves, and new libraries and techniques develop ... so will the NVC evolve/expand.

As with ALL our developers ... we absolutely need your support to continue. 8-)

Thanks everyone!

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11 am

update news !

couple things.

The next 'by the seat of the pants, no script, no net' by a narrator that should not quit his day job :roll: and if that ain't enough... I had to compress this vid to stay below 15 meg limit :|

With that fanfare announce ... I have started with the preparing of Nebula to understand MIDI controllers. This is a basic step-by-step of the SCARY process :o :lol:

Not only fundamental to all things NVC ... but doing anything MIDI with Nebula [automation, etc] this is important.

Hopeful this video tutorial will soothe the fear :lol:

Remember ... this is a one time edit, that when using Zabukowski's NebulaSetUP app, will be the template XML for all your custom Nebula's.

This may be new territory for some ... as it was for me the first time ... after viewing ... there may be concern that it was THAT easy.

OK ... the new video 'Teach Nebula MIDI' is available on my site, main page near the bottom.
http://www.upallnite.us/

I'll start the next part very soon. I think this will be about loading your custom nebula XML file into the NVC. I'm basically going to show ME clicking a LOAD button ... cause there ain't much more than that [of course, this is after using Zab's SetUp app.

Do I need to show how to use that ???

Next bit of news fro the 64-bit REAPER gang ! :shock:

We had a Reaper support file that was balking at 64-bit, and posting a 'BYE' message :roll: As I scoured the Reaper forum, I relocated to a new 64-bit version of ReaControl.

This was sent out and tested on a full 64-bit system [Win-8.1], using Reaper-64. With the NVC 'bridged', we now have a working 64-bit configuration. :D
Since I cannot test ... I believe the settings on this plugin can be left at their default value.

I have UPDATED the 'Reaper STASH' on my site. [I had previously received permission to distribute these plug-ins].

So ... all you Reaper-64 guys ... grab the new file and check it out.

I'll get more 'tuts' posted ASAP.

BTW ... the 'narrator' was Up All Nite ... working on everything else EXCEPT getting this tutorial together :roll: :oops: be gentle :lol:

Thanks guys ... questions, comments ... please do.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:51 pm

ahh ... alright ... 'dumbo question time' :roll:

My website has a filesize restriction for each post. I've been trying to make up some tutorials, and also keep the size to <15megs.

I tried using a program called 'Handbreak', and it did shrink the size ... but still not enough ... so I wonder ...

What's the deal with U-Tube ?? Can I just post there? [i'm sure I can ... but ... What or how to do ?

I'm thinking there would be a URL for each that I could link to from my site.

Thant's for any help on this :oops:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries