NVC - Series - General News

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - Series - General News

Postby RJHollins » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:29 am

Update News !

The NVC-Mammoth has been updated to v: 0.53

* Bandwidth and GAIN knob resolution has been doubled
The GAIN control is now 1/2dB stepped, and the BW has 20 steps of resolution.

It should be noted that the original hardware numerics did not reference to dB nor 'Q' values. We have taken some liberties :lol:

Version:0.53 is now available for download at:
http://www.upallnite.us
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:27 am

update news !!!

The NVC-GMD controller for AlexB's GMD [German Mastering Dynamics] is now available for download
at:
http://www.upallnite.us/nvc-gmd.html

I've 'bare-bones' the page just to get this posted for you guys to demo out !

Please do ... post back with feedback/ comments.

Enjoy 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Some update news ... and some clarification.

OK ... had an email come in wondering why EQ settings were turning OFF when the DEMO message came up.

We must stay aware that we have world-wide audience, and English is but one language. With that in mind, I'd like everyone to understand that all the NVC demos are 'interrupted', from time to time, by both a message AND ... some from of bypass, or 'neutralized' setting. After a period of time, the NVC will return to working order. This cycle continues throughout the demo. Obviously ... once a Registration is purchased, all the various 'interrupts' are removed.

I've not received and direct complaints, but I have tried to keep the 'NAG' just slightly annoying :lol:
and yet provide full access to all features.

I do hope that I have struck a good balance. 8-)
Any questions or confusions ... please ask ! Thanks!

Next ...

Oh my ... I'm never sure if an NVC is going to be useful or practical. :o It is not till the prototype is assembled, and the library gets plenty of yanking, pulling, shift and shake.... and then worked with multi-band interaction.

Tonite ... the proto was put to work. I thought that this library might be to simple to need a controller ... but I must say, I TOTALLY misread the power of this EQ.

This raises an important point ... and highlights the problem of 'isolated' presets. There's nothing wrong with the single preset itself ... but it is difficult to grasp the entire picture.

Are 3rd party Devs have designed libraries of some highly sought pieces of hardware. These are complete units that have a design philosophy in both how the sound ... and how they work. The single preset is the 'tip of the iceberg'.

I'm having this 'revelation' with every NVC that gets developed.

This, seemingly, 'simple' EQ is nothing short of incredible. I mean ... I already knew that I liked each preset for what it did ... great sound ... I just did not realize what these 3 bands were capable of when pulled into a cohesive, interactive unit.

Alright ... it's late [early morning] and back from a gig with my band. I'll be playing with this new unit tomorrow. I may also have some questions to pose to those that have purchased this library.

I want to be sure that I'm maxing every feature and flavor this library has to offer ...

until later!
8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby koda » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Which EQ are you talking about? :D
BTW I completely agree that the true power of Nebula (and a wider audience) will be reachable when an algo-like workflow will be obtained (like with your NVCs)
koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RJHollins » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 am

koda wrote:Which EQ are you talking about? :D
BTW I completely agree that the true power of Nebula (and a wider audience) will be reachable when an algo-like workflow will be obtained (like with your NVCs)

Oh ... I meant this one ...
Main Screen-1.jpg

:D
I'm still playing with the GUI design/layout ... along with crazy playing with this fantastic EQ.

The 1st design I had was for a 3 band 'vertical' style ... but then, one of our members posted a little BXQ 'trick' that has a type of 'Pultec' technique. So I thought I had better give it a test and see what it was about ... :roll: Well ... it MADE go back and have to redesign the entire GUI layout ... there is NO WAY I'm leaving this out of the NVC-BXQ ! :lol: Talk about PUNCH ... and it's a clean one at that 8-)

Anyway ... track down the CDS announce for the BXQ equalizer ... interesting comments. I'll post a separate thread for this controller when I get this all set in. I still need to add 'preset management' for the various 'MODE' buttons. This little 'trick' will probably be an included preset [one of my very few to ever consider ... very cool].

I'll say it again ... even though I've used pieces of this EQ from time to time, and it usually work extremely well, I just never got to using the entire unit. This all changes after my testing the NVC with this library ... wow ... really glad that I purchased this, and, having spent the time designing a central command to operate it.
In the screeny, you can see that I went ALL CLN kernel for every band, and drove all of them into the full Pre-Amp on MIDI CH-5. This is just the latest combo I had going for the shot.

OK ... I'm going back to play with this ... if any one sees any GUI things with this ... tell me !!
This combination is better than I ever planned. Go see CDS's site ... get this EQ ... you will use it ... and you'll be smiling because of it. I want to get this controller out soon ... it's the only way I want to play. :mrgreen:

until later 8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby koda » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:41 pm

You are doing an awesome job here.... keep on!
koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby hopi2013 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Howdy RJ...

so I am assuming your NVC for the BXQ is not out yet... I see the excitement and the gui image but nothing on your site or am I blind?

Also, in light of the recent Trinity EQ as an Acqua vst, I am wondering what your thoughts are these various EQ's showing up in the Acqua format?

It seems like this direction, NVC and Acqua is the future and I'm wondering how you see it moving ahead?
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 pm

hopi2013 wrote:Howdy RJ...

so I am assuming your NVC for the BXQ is not out yet... I see the excitement and the gui image but nothing on your site or am I blind?

Also, in light of the recent Trinity EQ as an Acqua vst, I am wondering what your thoughts are these various EQ's showing up in the Acqua format?

It seems like this direction, NVC and Acqua is the future and I'm wondering how you see it moving ahead?

Hi Hopi,
The vision is fine :lol: I've not posted this as yet. I had to go back in and add the additional sub-modules, which also meant the GUI layout had to be re-arranged. The screen-shot is the current design I'm testing.
Part of my testing includes where each GUI component sits on screen, and how it feels to navigate. It may be subtle, but I'm looking for that 'natural' spot to place a control that falls right where 'expected' :lol:

As to Nebula's new development ... very exciting to see this happen. Having been invited onto the 'BETA' team allows me to see what is in the works. There are many important features that I would like to see added.

We are in a early stage of NVC development. Most have not hit version 1.0 as yet. Combined with new Nebula developments AND me further expanding my programing knowledge will open new capabilities for the entire NVC series.

I use NEBULA everyday for every project I work. I still use a few 'choice' algos to compliment, but the core is all Nebula with the extensive libraries I've purchased.

My 'goal' is not a competition 'with', but rather an enhancement and expansion to working with Nebula.

This all requires support from the Nebula community if me [or really ANY of the Devs are to survive]. There is the passion that motivates to make this the best it can be, but as every Dev has stated, the time, effort, brain work, that goes into each product is immense. We try to keep the purchase cost below reasonable in hopes that many, many in the community will purchase. Even with the support, we could easily lose them.

If I may say ... I would not spend the exponential time invested in the NVC's if I was building these for my personal use. Don't get me wrong ... I also share in the design benefits ... but for myself, I wouldn't be paying to have a website, or designing functions of the NVC to handle certain unknown configurations. I might not spend the time on how a particular knob or button looks ... WHY ... there are so many libraries that I want to use, and these controllers allow me to not only work faster, with better results. Rapid, intuitive, interactive work-flow ... no more countless searching, opening, closing GUI windows with endless mouse clicks. But now we have Nebula with fantastic libraries that now come together as like the hardware they derived from.
It's interesting to play with the individual preset pieces ... but they only hint at the possibilities.

Well, sorry to sidetrack like that ... all Devs need everyones support to continue.

To be certain ... the NVC series is just beginning. :mrgreen:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby hopi2013 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:12 am

.. no more countless searching, opening, closing GUI windows with endless mouse clicks.

Indeed!

Thanks for taking the time to say all that RJ... hopefully it gets noticed by others as well.

I really do get the overall drift of this direction, and think it is spot on. I also totally sympathize with the pain and time it takes to build a GUI... I've not done any but the few skins for Neb3 lately [well, not counting reaper] but even so, I do understand how much time and effort it involves. Hahaha... not to mention HD space and folders of the various steps to get there.
I'm sure your work is beyond anything I've done but I have certainly spend days just building a set of pngs for a meter... OMG!

I will definitely keep an eye on your NVC's and look forward to some beautiful new ways to use the Neb lib's.
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:39 am

Hi Hopi,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the kind words ... AND the confirmation of the effort that goes into these things.

As we are preparing for yet another winter storm ... now they're calling it a 'blizzard' warning :o the 'contest' idea was ... just an idea ... plus to see if there might be some interest ... I guess I'd leave it as an open idea. If someone posted an example of a GUI, I would certainly consider it ... and my 'token' offer. For my designs I use 'KnobMan'. The panel backgrounds are basic graphics. If I wanted to spend even more time, I'd dig into Photoshop ... or if I figured out, I also purchased SketchUP [really cool 3-d program]. Time and resources. :roll:

It comes down to this [for me] ... the difference in having an NVC controlled library has changed my Nebula work-flow and allows me to forget that I AM using Nebula :lol: except when I twist the knobs and hear to sounds :D It becomes a call of time spent to design a GUI ... that I would like to see as a piece of visual Art [even if a 'replica' of the original hardware] ... or scoping out a design and strategy for a new library controller. Even though there are similar functions throughout all this gear, each design is based on the library specifics and its' preset design. Part of the challenge ... other things like, what library to do next ! :idea:

To that ... I thought I'd mention here that a brand new controller has just been made available for CDSoundMaster's BXQ Baxandall equalizer. I've posted a bit of the 'making of', behind the scene story. Might be a slightly interesting read ... maybe not :lol: Here's the announce thread for those playing along at home:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27931

Even though I have at least to major controllers that have not been announced, as I try to release with purpose ... I also think I should get a tut video together, or at least a diagram for 2 important chainers I've gone to.

Primarily ... BIDULE. With one of the past updates to Nebula, the Bidule program has been flawless. The entire effect chain that I use now consist of a base of 3 plugs.
1. FreeG - as my 'TRIM' control with PEAK/RMS readout.
2. NVC of choice
3. BIDULE - prewired with the library that is saved as a template.

This is all within REAPER.

With this combination, I no longer need any of Reaper's 'support' plugs. I still make a Reaper specific chain using them ... but more and more I'm calling up the Bidule chainer.

METAPlugin is the 2nd chainer. This has had several updates going on recently. Major improvements too. It has worked very well on my system. I'm not as comfortable with it, though. I probably need to spend more time using it, but navigating and wiring with Bidule seems easier.

Important ... my free 'MIDIChannel Filter/AudioRouter' VST plugin. This plugin is as simple as it gets to wire each NEB to a specific MIDI channel .... AND, it also provides for the audio BYPASS function that the NVC invokes to to a NEB completely out of the audio chain. It has a built in 'damping' mode when doing this bypass, which prevents that huge audio glitch and meter peakout that can happen [always found that disturbing].
Anyway ... it is well worth checking out the demos on these 2 chainers. There are others, but I've not had time to try myself.

That's about it for the moment. Check out the demos I've posted on the main site. Let me know if any issues ... please. Of course, feedback, comments, ideas, suggestions are always welcomed !

Sincerely
rj

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries