Login

NVC - Series - General News

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - Series - General News

Postby RJHollins » Sun May 25, 2014 10:23 pm

on the right hand side menu, the 'Acoustica64' ???
Are you running 32 or 64 bit ?

All NVC's are native 32-bit, and require 'bridging' for 64-bit architecture.

I'm not sure if that is the issue here.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Mon May 26, 2014 4:24 am

a little test preview ... as I take a short break from mastering sessions.

I've been actively testing the new design concept for what I'm calling, the 'NVC-RaK'. :o

Current design is for the CDS - GeQ library.

Every mastering project I recieve has specific EQ needs to address, and each one can be different. Combining this with the various Nebula library layouts adds more complexities along with flexibity in choices. Designing a comprehensive controller that mirrors the hardware design can offer a reference of familiarity ... but that can also be a limiting design.

The idea of an 'open' rack, that would allow the engineer to pick and choose ANY combinations that a Nebula library has available, a more powerful/flexible workflow design.

We start with a 'empty' RaK.
Main GUI [empty].jpg

Here we have 9 available 'slots' [along with a dedicated Pre-Amp section].

For the GeQ, we have 5 choices per slot. Each 'slot' defaults to a specific MIDI Channel [per each Nebula].
An 'EMPTY' slot '-' is basically an INIT state. From there we can choose from different 'Q' factors of 'Narrow, Medium, Wide, or Shelf' for that spot in the RaK. This means that we can fill any slot with our choice of presets as we deem needed. Such as this example:
Main GUI [filled].jpg

Each slot in the RaK has a 'radio button' selector that allows the engineer to PREVIEW the available parameters of the band [such as frequencies, gain range, etc]. Clicking the 'ENGAGE' button will activate the band, sending PROGRAMChange commands and parameter settings to the Nebula assigned to that MIDI channel.

Looks like this:
NVC-RaK - GeQ-2.gif
NVC-RaK - GeQ-2.gif (560.43 KiB) Viewed 1567 times

Every feature from the NVC series is built-in to this new RaK design ... along with other nice things :mrgreen:

Although it may not be so obvious, the Knobs are dynamic 'vector' designed, which opens unique ways of control and features 8-)

I've just finished 3 mastering sessions using the NVC-RaK controller and the GeQ, and it is 'marvelous' :mrgreen: :lol:

thought ya might enjoy a sneak peak ;)
Last edited by RJHollins on Mon May 26, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby fr3udes » Mon May 26, 2014 10:31 am

WOW
fr3udes
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:01 am

The NVC/RaK is performing very well.

Really like the flexibility to choose any band, at any time.

I've altered a couple of the GUI items [size/color adjustment], and cleaned up a bit of code.

The 'RaK' has been through 4 mastering session now without a single issue :D

I'm now considering the next candidate for the RaK :o
:lol:

.... any requests :idea:
8-)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby novocane99 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:56 pm

HI RJ,

I'm running the 64-bit version - does studio one not bridge 32 bit plugins like Reaper?

Cheers :) :)
novocane99
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Hi novocane99,

Reaper has a built-in bridge.

I believe most use something called 'J-Bridge' in other DAWs.

Maybe those with this experience will comment to clarify.

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:07 am

Another BEAST has been tackled :shock:

A library that I'd purchased many moons ago ... the CDS 'Mastering Suite'. Since I focus on mastering, it seemed only logical. Or so I thought :o

I could never get an overall, working perspective with this library :roll: This is not so much a criticism of Michaels work, but more the old Nebula way of individual pieces.

I had read the MS manual many times, and can certainly appreciate the time, research, testing that must have gone into this library. Every preset that I listen individually was excellent, but when it came time to use, I found 1 or 2 presets on call ... most often were the HP filters.

Something else great with this library .... it comes native at 44.1K. I have purchased many libraries that offer only 96k ... the drawback ... the loading/converting time. example: the GeQ, a full load of 10+ Nebulas [covering all the presets] can take several minutes to load ... not a deal breaker, but still. If I could convert the library [HQ] down to 44.1 as an alternative, I'd certainly would. If CDS offered a 44.1 version ... I'd buy it again :!:

Anyway ... I have been heavily testing the latest NVC-RaK design for this MasteringSuite library. The 'Rak' currently allows for 12 separate modules. These can be in any combination or choice. Basically, you can pick and choose what you need, WHEN you need it :D and, you never need to leave the GUI.

As with the NVC/Rak for the GeQ .... the Rak has all the production/operational functions that are in the standard NVC series ... and more.

This has taken the Nebula work-flow to another level. Full access to the complete library, calling on any band, filter, preamp as desired.

The serious testing continues ... I've used this MS-RaK on 3 mastering sessions so far ... though I'm early at getting familiar with this mastering library, I can honestly say .... this is a fantastic tool. Kudos Michael. I've only just begun to appreciate it since bringing the whole package into a comprehensive, custom interactive, control package.

back to play ... I mean mastering work .... more info, details later.
8-)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:40 am

little update news ...

Might have read about my newly found appreciation for the AlexB AMERICAN series. In particular, the mastering A5M equalizer.
Briefly ... I have found so many uses for this EQ. It just does such wonderful things, and across quite a wide spectrum of projects/styles.

Once I got a taste, I started testing it in various mastering projects, and enough times, it just plain works ... in ways that others just didn't quite achieve.

If the 'unit' had user adjustable 'Q', I'd have little problem using it even more. Sometimes sonic situations in mastering require this parameter control. Regardless, this EQ creation by AlexB just rocks ! 8-)

Because I wanted to fly with it, I dug out an earlier NVC controller that was for the previous BMeQ. I wasn't totally happy with the GUI design, so I made some changes and adjusted the configuration for the V2 library release. Here's a GUI shot ...
Main GUI-1.jpg
NVC-A5M GUI

With all the comforts. I went with 1/4dB stepped Gains which seem to give nice resolution of choice without going .xxx crazy :lol:

Without doubt, this EQ, along with the Console and Dynamics sections is just superb.

You owe it to yourself to check out the demo presets.

Thanks AlexB !!

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Andyyager10 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:59 am

So RJ, how does one go about purchasing your rak system. I don't see it on the upallnite eebsite
Andyyager10
User Level II
User Level II

Postby sfabs » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Looks great... Would love to try it....
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries