Login

Cupwise release- Nolard Spring Reverb & Tape Delay FX

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Cupwise release- Nolard Spring Reverb & Tape Delay FX

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:37 am

The reverb in this set is definitely the single best reverb I've made by far, in my opinion. Adjustable EQ and a control to adjust length/fadeout both make it unique in the Nebula world also. I think I've refined my system of providing various quality options to something closer to perfection, or as as close to it as Nebula will allow anyway. Lite programs make running a mix project with several reverbs going at once a pleasure, and you can adjust the controls on all of them to suit the context of your mix perfectly. Then when you want to render, just switch the programs over to a higher quality level (I give a tip for a relatively painless way of doing this in the manual, which you can look at from the site). Not only are there adjustable controls, but the full length goes up to 10 seconds! There are also 5 second programs provided as yet another way of minimizing CPU use according to your needs.

Then there is the tape delay. You have 20 selectable delay effects to choose from, all within the same program (the delay also has the various quality level options). They sound different because they used different tape speeds and EQ settings. 1-10 are single tap echos which were sampled using one playback head on the hardware, and they each add about 30ms to the delay time as you go up through them. 11-16 used 2 playback heads on the unit, for a double-tap echo, and 17 and 18 used all 3 heads for triple-tap echo. 19 and 20 are special ones I made by reversing the impulses from 2 of the single-tap ones, and with some audio going in, they give you an effect kind of like a quick reverse reverb leading into the sound.

You can use a quick single tap to get some really awesome vocal (or whatever) doubling effects, or a slower one with feedback to get endless, mutating repeating echo effects! The feedback control can give you some pretty awesome results and you might find you lose a lot of time just listening to them go on and on... The faster multi-tap echos can give you something almost like a reverb, with feedback applied.

Anyway this is probably my favorite of my releases in a while. Check out the demo program and read the text with it to see what that limitations with it are. I think the demos still sound pretty great, but the full versions are much more authentic. The higher quality reverb and delay programs in the full set have pretty high sample counts, which is due to the complexity of their design, and where their more lively sound comes from. The demo programs have very few samples.. but still sound pretty good!

check out the set here!
Last edited by Cupwise on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- Nolard Spring Reverb & Tape Delay FX

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 am

the demo set has a .txt which is pretty wordy, and you don't really need to read it (except to see a change you need to make to the nebula setup xml to make sure it doesn't trim the ends of the reverb tail!) unless you want to see in detail what the differences between the demos and the full set programs are, and what the controls do (which is easy to figure out).
Last edited by Cupwise on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:18 pm

These 2 presets sound great. I really like the "tilt eq" concept, and yes, the bassy side gets huge! I'm looking forward to automating the spring verb from trebly to bassy with more feedback. I had some legitimate fun playing around with the demo haha.

I'm gonna be picking this set up for sure :mrgreen:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:17 pm

oops i just realized i should have probably said this in my first post before getting anyone's hopes up needlessly- the full set needs 64 bit nebula! at least you definitely need it for 96khz set. with the 44.1khz set it looks like only the reverb's SHQ program won't load, and since i've always considered those as optional bonuses (they probably sound only SLIGHTLY better but cost WAY more cpu), users of 44.1khz could still get good use out of the set. i'll have to double check to be sure though..
Last edited by Cupwise on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:02 pm

and the set is up! check first post in the thread for details. i tested again and found that the 44.1khz version did load for me (all programs) with 32bit Nebula. The 96khz set does seem to need 64-bit Nebula to load though. The higher quality programs have pretty high sample counts (over a thousand in the delay, and several hundred in the reverb), which is necessary for the EQ control+dynamics+harmonics, so the vectors are a bit on the larger side with the 96khz set, which is, i believe, why you need 64-bit.

The way I do my vectors lately (some of you might have noticed that my recent releases have fewer vectors), I have everything stuffed into one vector (per effect). It takes a little more effort to do but it results in less disk space usage, faster downloads, etc., and it's just better. So, with this set, the lite reverb programs are 1k, and the standard are.. i think 4k, then the SHQ are 9k, but there is only one vector for all of those. It's better that way than having separate vectors for each, because they use some of the same samples, so this way saves space. The RAM use is only the samples that are used out of the vector. So, the 1k lite reverb only takes the first kernel samples out of the vector and puts them in RAM. The full vector is around 250mb, but only the SHQ program loads all of that. If you use the lite versions for mixing you will actually have very low RAM use, but that's because they have no dynamics or harmonics (but they are still great for auditioning the sound).
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:16 am

Could you add a "preamp" style for this unit?
It would be great to add mojo to other digital delay plug-ins.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:28 am

no sorry i don't have access to the hardware anymore. but the delays in this set have plenty of 'mojo' already, i think. ;) (but yeah obviously not quite as much control as you can get with a digital vst delay)

i think you could use just about any good sounding nebula program that was sampled from something analog, with dynamics, and use that on a digital delay to make it a bit more 'analog' sounding, really. i don't see why it would necessarily be best to use samples that passed through the amps of a delay unit, compared to any other analog samples. that's just my opinion. but, on the other hand i wish i had thought of doing that... if it's even possible (not really sure). i'll try to remember if i do anything else like this.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby indelible » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm happy to see more time based effects inside nebula.Can you tell us more about the delay times?From what I'm understanding they starts at 30ms and increase by 30ms each step?
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Cupwise » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 pm

yeah roughly that's about right.. i think. the 1 tap (delays 1-10) ones follow that pattern i think fairly close. i suppose i could/should have put a more accurate description of the delay times in the manual. i'll try to do it ASAP but i'm pretty busy now between still whipping up audio clips for this and a whole other project that's come up and is pretty exciting.

when i have those figures in the manual i'll let you know and you can dl the updated manual from the site. but also keep in mind that each increment of ~30ms also has a different kind of random tone to it. so one may be more bassy, the next more trebly, etc. it's not ideal, but i only had limited time access (to the hardware) and couldn't think out a better way of doing it, so i just did some tape delays as a bonus to the spring, really. but i think they came out well anyway. hopefully people still find them somewhat useful.

another thing i just noticed is that the <dspbuffer> setting affects the feedback, which.. is unfortunate in some ways, but... also kinda opens up a little possibility for variation. a faster dspbuffer (lower number) gives you faster repeats, closer to the timing of the original tap. bigger numbers give slower feedback repeats.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby sweet2112 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi Cupwise,

I was just wondering if it might be possible to create a Nolard Tape Delay preset with just a single, zero delay time echo tap with no repeats?

This would allow anyone to add a clean digital delay of their own choice in front of Nebula, with the output of that clean delay then being suitably modified by the tone of the Nolard unit.

Do you think this might be possible? I know that there would be none of the decaying repeats mojo from the sampled device, but it would give users flexibility to set whatever delay time they wished, and if needs be even throw in a bit of filtering etc on to the clean delay in front of Nebula to try and get a little mojo back again!

Just a thought :) Regards
sweet2112
User Level 0
User Level 0

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries