Login

consoles...Consoles...CONSOLES

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: consoles...Consoles...CONSOLES

Postby AlexB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:39 am

highvoltage wrote: So im really curios why this program can work and others cant.

one word: gain staging
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Alex - that's two words he he he

Anyway - I have an observation to make and I could be wrong. But when Alex's first libraries came out - they had a sound. But man were they CPU HOGS. Then he optimised them and the cpu became much more reasonable. Did we lose something from the first libraries to the pro versions. I remember getting huge bass spikes if you over did the levels but I seem to get it less with his new stuff. Is it just me?
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby AlexB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Normally the upgrades improve the performance and the sound, not the contrary :mrgreen: So we have loss nothing :)
I wouldn't call it "spikes" because the programs are at unity gain, if you respect the gain staging where 0dB VU is -18dBfs if you go to -3dBfs is like +15dB VU on the hardware (very RED zone!), so you have all the natural distortion that you hear and VSTAnalyzer shows (but take in mind that VSTAnalyzer peaks at 0dBfs the signal and this shows fake-spikes).
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks Alex. I will have to do a test just to see if I imagined it. Have a nice day.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby akb44 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:09 am

I'm unclear on something - if you wanted to "full Nebula" a certain DAW track, would you put both a preamp and a console instance on it, or does the console take care of the preamp? If you need both, what order do you insert the effects in (which comes first)? And would EQ go after these? Where do tapes fit into the equation?
Last edited by akb44 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akb44
User Level II
User Level II

Postby HIFIDELITY » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:29 pm

akb44 wrote:I'm unclear on something - if you wanted to "full Nebula" a certain DAW track, would you put both a preamp and a console instance on it, or does the console take care of the preamp? If you need both, what order do you insert the effects in (which comes first)? And would EQ go after these? Where do tapes fit into the equation?

Yes,i would really like to no this! Also,when useing the console programs in real time,in a chain with other plugins(sountoys.mcdsp..ect) would i insert the console first or last in the chain? I was going to email alex but i would rather leave him to concentrate on all the upgrades! :D
HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby AlexB » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:13 pm

As in the user manual I suggest to insert the console program as first plugin.
In the real scenario:

track from tape machine -> console input -> insert FX -> return to console sum-mixbuss.

than:

track -> 1st insert: Nebula console -> other plugins -> your daw mixbuss

but you can change everything at your personal taste.
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby akb44 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:50 pm

Wouldn't that mean you should go tape = first insert, then console then others? Also, when do you need to use a Nebula preamp? Are preamps part of a console? Do Nebula preamps and consoles serve the same function (i.e. could you substitute preamps for consoles and vice versa)?
akb44
User Level II
User Level II

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Yes, consoles and preamps can serve the same purpose. The console channels are essentially the preamplification input of the mixing board. It is possible for things to be sampled as preamps that can be substituted in this place that act in a similar manner, using the concept to run your DAW like a wide frame of reference unique console. Like the Modern Tube Pro release, Vintage Tubes Collection, and the preamp selection of high end eq programs, the input and drive electronics are similar enough to use them as they are console inputs. The joy of using the actual branded consoles aka N**e, A*I etc is that the cumulative output gives the unique sound of mixing on that platform, since the real hardware works by small amounts of additive sound that is unique. But, it is great to experiment with other things even on top of this. Imagination is the key!

I think what Alex is stating about the manual recommendation is that you go from what you record to placing the console as the first processing step, then to tape and effects and back to the channel. This is the same concept I recommend with the Retro Programs and with everything that has followed. Also, what others are saying is absolutely true that you should really make adjustments by ear from everything you record to set levels based on the channel recording like you would coming into the console. This gain staging is what allows your Neb console to serve you as a producer making your sonic mark on the final influence of sound.

akb44 wrote:Wouldn't that mean you should go tape = first insert, then console then others? Also, when do you need to use a Nebula preamp? Are preamps part of a console? Do Nebula preamps and consoles serve the same function (i.e. could you substitute preamps for consoles and vice versa)?
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jayhill » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:35 pm

This leads to another gain staging question:

Ok - I hit my Alexb White Console Channels (IL1 thru IL6) at -18 peaks. But what about the sub group buss (BG1 thru BG4)? Are they designed to be hit harder (say -12)? and also the Master Buss - MBC (say -6)? Or must the sub group buss and the master Buss be gain staged at -18 also?
jayhill
User Level 0
User Level 0

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries