Login

consoles...Consoles...CONSOLES

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: consoles...Consoles...CONSOLES

Postby CoolColJ » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:42 pm

to the OP - do you have the MTC?
I'm curious how the tube sound would fair here, I like what it does to vocals - honey like

I thought the T*****t had a nice organic earthy tone, but on close listen the drums sound strangled :(
I do dance and analog heavy synthy music, so drums must be nice!

White Console - is fairly even all round, nicer, but not sticking out like a sore thumb in any major area
Black console - is pretty nice, with a bit more air

VBC has this sheen to the sound that is similar to the preamp in the N-TEN-AT4 demo. And when you line up the level to the original signal, the bass end is dipped
I like the EQ, but the tone of the console gets a bit on my nerves after a while, a bit artifical like
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:55 pm

CoolColJ wrote:to the OP - do you have the MTC?
I'm curious how the tube sound would fair here, I like what it does to vocals - honey like...

I don't, sorry.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby CoolColJ » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:58 am

As far as the AlexB console go I found the audio files he had for comparison hard to get a feel for, especially with the vocal dominating and the overall dark and non percussive sound

So what I did was make a small instrumental cut, which loops nicely, still at the 24bit 96khz, then you can load em all up in your audio editor in loop play and switch ebtween them quickly

All zipped up
http://download659.mediafire.com/v00ezz ... onsole.zip

So what I found was - the original sound decent, nice and even

WBC - adds a low mid bass, and sounds flattering, but on close inspection sub bass are down, and mid range sounds a bit boxey. Drums sound "slow"

MLC - better, not nothing really special either

CLC - good bass and subs, punchy drums, but mid range a bit flat and boring, sterile

VBC - upper mid emphasis, sheen, bottom end subdued as a result

MBC - good bass, but a bit murky in definition, euphonic mid range, sweet top end, decent punch on drums

So they all have their points - but for percussive electronic music and dance, it would be between the MBC and CLC for me. MBC has more valve like colour and sweetness so I went for that

Off course all the various preamps can be used as "consoles" too

I like what the MTC did for vocals, like honey, and the tube did some nice tone on the bass, but drums and overall sound seem'ed smaller than the others
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby illsoulprod » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm

So in reading this whole thread and drawing from personal experience (I'm a MBC owner) I realize for some that can't hear the difference its a maturity of the ears that you lack. I've heard a lot of people discribe how they switch from one console to the next and can barely hear any difference. That makes me both sad and happy. Only because my ears have finally reached that level of maturity where I realize what I'm listening for and sad because a lot of people who can't hear it yet don't understand.

These consoles (or at least my MBC) give my audio depth and width that i was unable to achieve with just Slate VCC. But in combination of the two I have achieved "that" sound I've been looking for. I hope everyone gets to that point :)
illsoulprod
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Enclave » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:27 am

I hear a ton of difference between vanilla and all the rest.
Enclave
User Level III
User Level III

Postby musicgreator » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:33 am

CoolColJ wrote:As far as the AlexB console go I found the audio files he had for comparison hard to get a feel for, especially with the vocal dominating and the overall dark and non percussive sound

So what I did was make a small instrumental cut, which loops nicely, still at the 24bit 96khz, then you can load em all up in your audio editor in loop play and switch ebtween them quickly

All zipped up
http://download659.mediafire.com/v00ezz ... onsole.zip

So what I found was - the original sound decent, nice and even

WBC - adds a low mid bass, and sounds flattering, but on close inspection sub bass are down, and mid range sounds a bit boxey. Drums sound "slow"

MLC - better, not nothing really special either

CLC - good bass and subs, punchy drums, but mid range a bit flat and boring, sterile

VBC - upper mid emphasis, sheen, bottom end subdued as a result

MBC - good bass, but a bit murky in definition, euphonic mid range, sweet top end, decent punch on drums

So they all have their points - but for percussive electronic music and dance, it would be between the MBC and CLC for me. MBC has more valve like colour and sweetness so I went for that

Off course all the various preamps can be used as "consoles" too

I like what the MTC did for vocals, like honey, and the tube did some nice tone on the bass, but drums and overall sound seem'ed smaller than the others

What do you think about MLC for modern, percussive and dance music?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby greekpeet » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:19 am

I want to say that the MLC is really good for modern percussive dance stuff.

Fairly neutral, but still does its 'thing' and would be super clean and right on the money for what you want.

Personally though I really am into the Tride n' True console out of the CCC vst plugin. The others included in the pack could be cool for other projects, but not really so much for your wanting it to. The TnT really hit home on a few projects spanning a few different styles so hats why I'm really into it generally. The MLC might be to 'clean' for some more of the character driven material...

Does that make sense at all?

If your not into the sound of the TnT, I'd naturally gravitate toward the MLC.

Though I don't get to hung up as its not the biggest part of the sound. I think its best to use a combination and gain a deeper understanding of getting as much as you can out of a library like the CCC or the cluster of AlexB stuff, yet apply it appropriately. What you'll find is you get your own favorites, and mix and match.

There are already a ton of great tips here if you want to follow that path too.

Which reminds me, I need to upgrade to the newest PCS upgrade... Pre amps and color for days...

:mrgreen:
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby cehas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:27 am

S*L is usually preferred for electronic music, N**e is more "rock" (smoother and thicker), A*I is "harder". The vintage consoles definitely have their character and it's not always even desirable for modern productions.

I'm using the MWC because it has the N**e smoothness but it also sounds pretty modern. Took me a year to understand that it's not the tube sound I'm after, it's solid state. I rarely use tube gear for anything but vocals.

Also, I've noticed that with fully nebulized mixes the subtle acoustics improve hugely and make the mixes way more pleasant to listen.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby enigma2win » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:59 am

I have a question regarding consoles...

When mixing into a console like AlexB consoles, the console has its peak at -18dbfs correct?

Well, does that mean that mixing in a console should be like mixing digital?
What I mean is, do we leave headroom like in the digital domain?
Like, lets say im using a LVLmeter that shows me 0db at -18dbfs...
Is it best to be mixing into the console bus at -6db on the LVLmeter?
Or is the goal to mix everything to hit the console master bus at 0db?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Postby cehas » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:57 pm

When you're hitting the effects around -18 dB input (including the master), the resulting mix is usually around -6 dB digital.

If you set the display for VU meter, you can see the meters barely hitting the yellow zone. Anything else adds non-hardware distortion (as far as I've understood).
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries