Login

AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:08 pm

triggerthehorizon wrote:I was also wondering if it's normal that my audio starts to crap out and stutter after using 5 instances of nebula even though my CPU performance meter says i'm only at 15% ??? Sorry if these questions are newbish, but I used to only run one or 2 instances for guitar cab emulation or an analog reverb effect.

jorismak wrote:Performance meter in your OS task manager or performance meter in the DAW?

CPU metering in the DAW is (always going to be?) broken with Nebula. The DAW can't measure how much Nebula does, because Nebula does a lot on the background.. or something like that. Use your OS task manager to see total CPU usage in all processes.

It's not broken, it's just using "Ghost" mode. Edit the XML file and change "NODROP" to "1". That way Nebula will report the correct CPU load to the host. Bear in mind this is disabled by default because Nebula behaves much better when it's not reporting this.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jorismak » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:38 pm

You make it sound like I said it was a bad thing. Was not meant that way :)
jorismak

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:31 am

jorismak wrote:You make it sound like I said it was a bad thing. Was not meant that way :)

No, I didn't mean it that way :)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:23 am

Wow ... I continue to be so impressed with this MFC console :D

I've been mastering a live dixieland performance [some really great musicians too].

It was recorded straight to digital with a handheld recorder. The levels were good ... except was tracked at 16-bit :roll: no problem though.

I use a multi approach to adding some subtle 'goodness' to the recording. For this project, I called on the MFC console to set the sound stage for all the tweaks that were needed.

I also experimented, and ran the 2 MFC [Line/Master BUS] in TIMED mode. I did plenty of A/B testing on this, and the TIMED mode really focused and opened the 3-dimension of the stage ... How it does it, I don't really know ... but it was really nice.

I had to 'repair' some of the room resonance, so I also used DMG Equilibrium as my only 'algo'. I also brought in CDS - BXQ-eq for a little boost in the bottom end, and a slight shave off the top.

Because we can ... I also added a couple pre-amps in the chain. Some were compressors [no compression].

For 'shaping' I used the IVORY-EQ. It is nice, clean, and powerful ... and I use other NEB's to add color. I might have even used a bit of CDS's TAPE for a bit of control. Heck ... I think I had an instance of AlexB's A*I mastering EQ in there for a touch.

Even though I use a variety of libraries/Acquas ... I often only need maybe a 1/2dB added/sub here and there.

The variety of preamp sections is purely for tone and character. I find these portable recorders can do a nice job ... but they sound flat and boring.

The client [who recorded it] heard the test master and said he felt like he was back in the club listening to the live show. When he heard the 'original tracks' ... they sounded anemic :shock:

Bookending the entire chain with the MFC combo worked beautiful for this project.

Thanks AlexB !!!! :mrgreen:
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby sfabs » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 am

Hi RJ

Great post, very interesting reading, I love posts like this explaining exactly what people are using and why...

Can I ask a question about using the MFC in TIMED... (I love the MFC console and use it all the time). What settings do you use in TIMED with MFC...?
Do you gave both the fundamental and even/ odd harmonics set to TIMED?
Do you use SPITH or process the whole sound with TIMED?
What are your time settings (milliseconds)?
Do you use all MFC instances in TIMED or just group and master busses?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I want to do an A/B test (and I will) but would like to get an idea of a starting setting to begin with. And it seems like you are quite confident (as you are using it for clients and have a great deal of Neb experience) so would love to emulate your settings and run some A/B ing to let my ears decide.

Thank you for any tips.
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby pleplo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:15 am

+1 on a RJ reply with details. been using MFC on my upcoming album. I cant change de MFC Line on each tracks because I bounced them all since I have tons of tracks so cant use Timed. but if there is a diference for bouncing in real time I will switch the group bus and master bus to TimedM.. very hard to ear a difference.it is very subtle...

thanks RJ :)
Plajia new album Piggie Park out NOW. (Pronounced plah-gee-ah) We make music, fock a genre. On Spotify and Bandcamp www.plajia.com
pleplo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby AlexB » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:51 pm

About TIMED:
Please leave libraries the original conditions! Results from these changes are widely varied and often lead to very undesirable results.
The presets are programmed to sound close to the original sampled hardware. If you change any parameter the sound changes and it will be different from the original sampled unit.
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby davidgary73 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Bought it today.

Wow!!! MFC has really taken it to a whole new level.

Thank You Alex.
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby RJHollins » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:24 am

ahhhhgggg

New computer build.

Need to re-authorize my full MF series, console, dynamics, and EQ. So many projects I work use at least one of these libraries.

If you've not tried this series .... you're in for a sonic treat. Grab a DEMO preset.

:mrgreen:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Yeah ... All MF series have been Re-Authorized.

Thanks AlexB.

The MFC Console sounds phenomenal. :mrgreen:

Now with my new i7-5820K based system, I am able to run more NEBs and Acquas without hitting any limits yet.

Now to rebuild all my custom Nebulas with NebSetUps [by Zab].

Starting to feel pretty good about my new computer investment ... still, so much more to install and test.

8-)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries