Login

AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Postby jorismak » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:31 am

Kinda makes sense doesn't it? If the VST plugin gets fed with one channel and outputs one channel, how are you going to pan? :P.
jorismak

Postby richie43 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:58 pm

jorismak wrote:Kinda makes sense doesn't it? If the VST plugin gets fed with one channel and outputs one channel, how are you going to pan? :P.

It sort of makes sense...But I have "algo" vst's that pan mono signals just like the track panner does. So this is a "Nebula thing". No worries.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:23 pm

richie43 wrote:
jorismak wrote:Kinda makes sense doesn't it? If the VST plugin gets fed with one channel and outputs one channel, how are you going to pan? :P.

It sort of makes sense...But I have "algo" vst's that pan mono signals just like the track panner does. So this is a "Nebula thing". No worries.

If you're talking about REAPER then you have to consider that each track has at least 2 minimum channels by default even when they're playing mono content so they're not really mono tracks but stereo. You can put Nebula on any track in REAPER and you'll always be able to pan them just like every other plug-in which does panning.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SWANG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:52 pm

richie43 wrote:I have "algo" vst's that pan mono signals just like the track panner does. So this is a "Nebula thing". No worries.

try rendering those algo plugins and see what you get. i'm betting the mono tracks with those plugs on them automatically convert to stereo upon rendering. i could be wrong, but that's been my experience with those types of plugs.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:05 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:If you're talking about REAPER then you have to consider that each track has at least 2 minimum channels by default even when they're playing mono content so they're not really mono tracks but stereo. You can put Nebula on any track in REAPER and you'll always be able to pan them just like every other plug-in which does panning.

That's what i thought Mercado, but when I saw this thread and tried an Alex panner on a mono source in Reaper, it didn't pan as I expected, where the algo plugins still do. Weird. But thanks for reminding me, reaper has no true mono.
Last edited by richie43 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:06 pm

SWANG wrote:try rendering those algo plugins and see what you get. i'm betting the mono tracks with those plugs on them automatically convert to stereo upon rendering. i could be wrong, but that's been my experience with those types of plugs.

In Reaper you have to choose mono or stereo when rendering. So no matter what plugin you use, if you render in mono it will stay in mono, and stereo will be stereo.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWANG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:14 pm

richie43 wrote:
SWANG wrote:try rendering those algo plugins and see what you get. i'm betting the mono tracks with those plugs on them automatically convert to stereo upon rendering. i could be wrong, but that's been my experience with those types of plugs.

In Reaper you have to choose mono or stereo when rendering. So no matter what plugin you use, if you render in mono it will stay in mono, and stereo will be stereo.

yes, this is true in most daws i've used. i've always found it interesting that you have the option to choose. if a recording is mono, it's mono...period. you can split it into a left-right signal in order to apply stereo processing or effect, but a "choice" to render a mono file to stereo is misleading. it's nothing more than a mono file converted to "mock stereo", yes?

with regard to this particular panner, i've never used it. however, when using plugins which factor in different processing or balance between left and right, i have always found these plugins convert to stereo automatically upon rendering (despite the fact that it is not always desirable)...
Last edited by SWANG on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:17 pm

SWANG wrote: a "choice" to render a mono file to stereo is misleading. it's nothing more than a mono file converted to "mock stereo", yes?

Absolutely. Identical to the mono file, maybe twice as loud!
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWANG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:22 pm

for example, try using an auto panner plugin (which, as we know, is merely an automatic balance knob) on a mono file. then render it. i've never seen it not convert to "mock" stereo.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SWANG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:25 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:If you're talking about REAPER then you have to consider that each track has at least 2 minimum channels by default even when they're playing mono content so they're not really mono tracks but stereo.

is this true for other daws as well? i suspect it may be the way most daws are programmed...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries