Login

AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Postby lipa » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:51 pm

wow great news! Resampling ALL libraries seems like a huge effort! Audio demos of MFC sound very tempting. Hope that the compressors will get updated behaviour too.. ;)
lipa

Postby AlexB » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 am

You can't compare two different sounds as A*I and N**e.
You can't compare digital plugin with Nebula.
You can't improve the sound inserting VCC when use Nebula... Only destroy it ! :mrgreen:
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby Jordi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 am

Good alexB , congratulations , I've been listening to demos and sound spectacular , I wanted to try them , but I have a two questions :

First, understand that each channel ( track) should have MFC in Line as the first insertion , the question arises MFC MIC Pre . As the manual says , adds more character , but alone, or combined with MFC Line. And since we are in what is sometimes advisable to use Mic Pre , to make it clearer for the few who know about it .

Come the second half, the function has Panner - 3dB pan law ? I've been reading the manual and it seems a simple picture left / right to place each strip on one side or another. Surely I'm wrong , I hope so , if not too much trouble , I just explained it better, you or anyone who has a clue , because I 've read many times and not just obvious , hehehe !

Another thing I do not understand is , for Mix Bus should go as a last insert ? As I understand it , should be behind the limiter , and passed in front of it, the eq simuació the tapes, the compressors, etc ... ?

And the last stop , I'm cheering with questions. After the console would have to add some EQ library to simulate the entire channel strip ?

Thank you, and sorry so many questions, and I know so little professional

Jordi
Jordi
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby scooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:46 am

Great to see Alex doing his things!
-Scott
scooter

Postby mtalavera » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:47 am

AlexB wrote:You can't compare two different sounds as A*I and N**e.
You can't improve the sound inserting VCC when use Nebula... Only destroy it ! :mrgreen:

My mistake in my previous post about comparing VCC. I meant to say N**e, or as VCC calls it Brit-N. And yes, agreed that you can't compare those two (I was reading about AMS N**e when I wrote that post, doing a little research on the board this library is based on, and got my "A"'s mixed up).

I found out very quickly that no digital plugin can compare to Nebula when I first started using it just last August, so very much agree with you there.
mtalavera

Postby scooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:51 am

Hi MT

Alex has an 8068 style board library, which is closer to the VCC N**e, that you speak of. It actually sounds much better than the slate, however, it will take your CPU to the matresses in comparison! The Vintage Mixbus is AWESOME for the ALexB N**e console library. I usually incorporate that with the Silk EQ from Tim's stuff and the GLUE compressor. Love it!

mtalavera wrote:
AlexB wrote:You can't compare two different sounds as A*I and N**e.

My mistake in my previous post about comparing VCC. I meant to say N**e, or as VCC calls it Brit-N. And yes, agreed that you can't compare those two (I was reading about AMS N**e when I wrote that post, doing a little research on the board this library is based on, and got my "A"'s mixed up).

I found out very quickly that no digital plugin can compare to Nebula when I first started using it just last August, so very much agree with you there.
-Scott
scooter

Postby deehope » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:05 am

Wondering what console this is? An A*I? If so which one?
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby scooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:28 am

N**e 88RS
deehope wrote:Wondering what console this is? An A*I? If so which one?
-Scott
scooter

Postby jorismak » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:14 pm

I think I can answer some, but I might be wrong. Don't shoot me if I am :).
That being said, there is like always only one rule: Do what sounds best. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way, just the way you think sounds best. Ofcourse I can explain how it should be used to be most authentic, but feel free to experiment.

Jordi wrote:First, understand that each channel ( track) should have MFC in Line as the first insertion , the question arises MFC MIC Pre . As the manual says , adds more character , but alone, or combined with MFC Line. And since we are in what is sometimes advisable to use Mic Pre , to make it clearer for the few who know about it .

Most consoles have mic pre's built into them. So each channel has a line input (MFC Line) and a mic input (MFC Mic). Sometimes engineers would use their own specific mic pres (standalone device) so those would go into the line-in in the console (the mic would already be amplified). Othertimes they think th board itself would be fine enough, or they didn't have any mic pre's left :), so they would use the mic input on the channel itself.

Now, in this library, normally you would use the Line program (first) to emulate that signal going into the console, already amped and at line-level. But the mic input gives different coloration (since it amplifies more). So you might want to use the Mic program to try to give it a little bit of different color.

Also, sometimes engineers used a trick to take a line-level signal (already properly amplified) and input it into the mic-input (amplifying it even more) to get crazy distortion as a special effect. I think the Mic input program is used to simulate something like this. Anyway, use it, listen to it. Don't be confused when it sounds like crap, you are actually using line-signals in your DAW so using the MFC Line is fine :).

Jordi wrote:Come the second half, the function has Panner - 3dB pan law ? I've been reading the manual and it seems a simple picture left / right to place each strip on one side or another. Surely I'm wrong , I hope so , if not too much trouble , I just explained it better, you or anyone who has a clue , because I 've read many times and not just obvious , hehehe !

Do you know what 'Pan law' is? I'll try to explain it quickly in case you don't (and I know it correctly :P).
If you take a simple signal on only your left speaker, at a certain comfortable level. Now you take that exact same signal and put it also on the right speaker, at the same level. Since what you are hearing is the two channels combined, you hear the two signals added to each other. So the signal you hear is louder than the signal on each channel, because you hear both of them added. Pan law tries to rectify this.
What happens is if you got a normal stereo signal, and you pan it to the left, with just plain panning the signal coming only from the left speaker would sound softer to you. A pan-law of 3db means that it will be increased by 3db compared to panned in the center so that it will sound roughly the same level to you. Basically, panning left will not just reduce the volume of right, but actually slightly increase the volume of left also to compensate.

Now, certain consoles used a pan-law of 3db, others of 4.5db. Any who knows, might be more. So in the manual he states that you should set your pan-law to 3DB in your DAW, because that is how the real N**e 88RS operated. In case you can't set it right or your DAW doesn't understand it, he gives nebula programs to do the panning that pan in exactly the same way the original console would. Just in case your DAW can't be set up properly. So yeah, they do nothing more than a simple pan, but they do it right :).

Jordi wrote:Another thing I do not understand is , for Mix Bus should go as a last insert ? As I understand it , should be behind the limiter , and passed in front of it, the eq simuació the tapes, the compressors, etc ... ?

One thing I can say for sure, if you use a brickwall limiter at the end of your master chain to make sure you don't go over 0.0 dB (and most limiters can / will also dither down for you) that should be the real very very last insert on your master bus. So the MFC Bix needs to go before your brickwall limiter.
But your question if it should go before or after other mastering-plugins (like a mixglue compressor, master tape emu, stuff like that) I honestly don't know. Never worked on a real console :S. I had the idea to put it first on the master bus, and then go into mastering plugins like glue.
I think (but have no clue about it) that in the real world you would get a master track on your console, and you would route that to things like the mastering compressor / eq / tape-master. Or put it in the send-return of the master track if there is such a thing. The MFC MixBus 'does the summing' (not really, but it captures the summing part of the console, the master channel) I guess, so before that you can't put a mastering compressor since the channels wouldn't be summed together yet :).
And it would be a shame / waste to spend a few hours carefully tweaking your mastering EQ and compressor, just to slam a coloring MFC MixBus after it that alters the sound again :).
So my logic says put it first on the master-track, then any master/glue plugins or programs, tape, brickwall. But I have no idea if I'm right, and you must do what you think sounds best.

Jordi wrote:And the last stop , I'm cheering with questions. After the console would have to add some EQ library to simulate the entire channel strip ?

If you really want to emulate _a_ channel strip, I think after the MFC Line you would put any tape stuff you might have (if any) and then (MFC Line again, because I think you would go into your console, into the multitrack tape, back into the console to mix, and then) any EQ library or plugin you want. Even if you leave all the bands alone, you would get the harmonic distortion and stuff from the EQ.

I only have no idea (google would fix this) what kind of EQ modules would have been in a real N**e 88RS. But I know AlexB's 'sidecar console' has _sampled_ 1081 N**e EQ modules, and he has a sampled N**e 1073 EQ unit.
jorismak

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:31 pm

... just reporting back since my purchase.

I had been holding out upgrading my 'Server' version after the flurry of confusing reports ... :roll:

Emails with AlexB said to go ahead and upgrade ... scarily ... I did.

1st did the GUI 4 version ... after scanning all my libraries, all I had was a black screen :o

Sooo ... I ran the GUI3 upgrade ... relief. There was my 'skin of choice', with working display. I loaded in a Preset ... there it was ! :D I went to the 'DISK' page [i think], and saw my registered name :mrgreen:

Also ... I now saw the MFC entry. Loaded a preset, got the INIT ... SER file waiting in the repository.
Emailed that back to support ... look forward to testing out, probably, my all time favorite console to work 8-)

As we wait ... I wonder ... might AlexB have snagged samples of the EQ section ?!? I did already purchase the 'SideCar' and the 1073 libraries. But ... can one really have too many NEVES ... I ask ya :lol:

OK ... now to find ZAB's post on SetUps2 that I just purchased ... all my custom NEB's ... oh boy ... I see an upcoming project :roll:

on to the search!
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries