Login

NVC-MAMMOTH [virtual controller]

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC-MAMMOTH [virtual controller]

Postby dreaddd » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:41 pm

hi RJ

sadly instant crash on loading up on my obsolete DAW running the even more obsolete SX3..
i think that was too much to stand for my poor machine :oops:
thx anyway
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:10 pm

dreaddd ... what crashed ???
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby dreaddd » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:28 pm

hey RJ

Cubase Sx3 shut down immediately while loading up the dll file on scan
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:56 pm

hmmm ... strange ... have you tried to rescan ??

Was this the only new plugin added?

I've seen this happen [rare] when I created a bunch of new custom Nebulas, or when testing other new plugins, sometimes the DAW freaks the 1st time scan.

what are the computer specs ?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby dreaddd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:57 am

RJHollins wrote:hmmm ... strange ... have you tried to rescan ??

Was this the only new plugin added?

yes its only that one added..

RJHollins wrote:what are the computer specs ?

Core 2 Duo e6400, 4 Giga Ram, Asus 0db cooling CUDA with 2 Giga RAM, Asus P41 motherboard

Cubase Sx3 on Windows XP Pro updated to 2 weeks ago updates from Microsoft updates
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:13 am

I'm on XP-Pro here too.

Nothing seems unusual about your computer ... just wonder, can SX3 handle VST2.4 ??

Just for grins ... you might want to check out Reaper.
It is the 'test DAW' used for Nebula. It's what I've switch too myself. Only if your interested to see if it's something with that Cubase version.

ohh ... something I hadn't seen in quite some time ...

So I finally got the chance and wanted to check out the new DMG EQuilibrium. I install software with a un-install monitor ... hit the install ...
.... Blue Screen of Death. :o

hmmm ... don't see that often ... tried again ... same thing.

Then today I tried without the install monitor ... that worked. Very strange this thing 'computer'.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby dreaddd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:56 pm

RJHollins wrote:I'm on XP-Pro here too.

Nothing seems unusual about your computer ... just wonder, can SX3 handle VST2.4 ??

ahem!
yes sir AFAIK..

im not a VST SDK guru, but i guess yes, it can, since i always could handle on cubase sx3 all the latest plugins since like one year ago or something more, the time when some developer started to ditch XP from their setup option (NI was one of the first firms, i think, to do that)
even like that i still can use some notforXP plugs: for instance FXpansion Etch..
never checked the last update that came out a couple of months ago, but FXpansion Etch i discovered that has no XP support AFTER i bought it on impulse of huge sale.. with that said luckily the installer doesnt even warn me about that and let install and use the plug (luckily for me..)
so i guess if its supporting a non XP supported plugins i can still run VST 2.4 features without manyp problems..i HOPE!
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Postby rods » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi, the concept is great. Unfortunately I can´t make it work. I think I did everything writen in the help files but it is like i bypass mode, nothing works for me.

Should I configure Nebula Reverb MIDI before creating the NebulaSetups2 file? Sould I configure the MIDI section of Mammoth xml file?
Should I load the mammoth xml file located in Nebula Repository/setups or the one located in the VstPlugins Folder?

Thanks
Rods
rods
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:49 pm

rods wrote:Should I configure Nebula Reverb MIDI before creating the NebulaSetups2 file? Sould I configure the MIDI section of Mammoth xml file?
Should I load the mammoth xml file located in Nebula Repository/setups or the one located in the VstPlugins Folder?

Thanks
Rods

Hi Rods,

When you create the custom NEBS with the SetUps app, it uses the main XML file that came with Nebula as the base. So, that main XML file should be edited [either by hand OR from within Nebula's MIDI page].

BTW ... I've noticed that the latest NEB version seems to be better doing this edit directly ... at least from what I remember].

Once the main XML file has this MIDI data ... then this data will be there for all the custom Nebulas you make with Nebula SetUps.

So do that first.

In Nebula Setups you are going to select the presets you want from the specific library, so there you select all the MAMMOTH presets you want [I use all of them].

When you create this custom 'Mammoth' Nebula, it'll place the new DLL file in your VST folder. It will also create an XML file in 'nebulatemprepository/Setups'.

Now, when you load up the NVC ... that XML file that was created for Mammoth in 'nebulatemprepository/Setups' has all the preset data that the NVC needs to know ... so THAT is the file you load into the NVC.

I've preset the CC controllers to use values of 20 thru 27 ... so be sure these match.

OK ... once you load that XML file from the Setups folder, the NVC will parse through that file and get all the preset data it needs. The NVC will then write it's own special config file. This 'config' file is what the NVC will always use [autoloads].

If you should happen to change your Mammoth library ... then you would need to reload that setup file again in the NVC so that it is current with the way you have your Mammoth Nebula.

hope that helps.

BTW ... all NVC's will be done this same way.

so, once you have the MIDI info in the main XML file, it will automatically be apaart of all your custom Nebs ... so that is a one time edit. [this also lets you use automation on Nebula even without the NVC].

2. The NVC only needs to read the proper XML file from 'nebulatemprepository/Setups' one time to teach it ... from there the NVC uses its own config file, so again, a one timer.

these questions help, as I'm really trying to put together a clear instruction manual [not my usual strong point :lol: ].

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:52 pm

dreaddd wrote:im not a VST SDK guru, but i guess yes, it can, .... so i guess if its supporting a non XP supported plugins i can still run VST 2.4 features without manyp problems..i HOPE!

Hi dreaddd,
I'm no VST guru either :lol:
It won't do you any good for me to mention the list of DAW's that we tested on [Sonar, Samplitude, Audition, ProSonus] ... but I do have issue with WaveLAB6 ... seems it doesn't like things MIDI ... but they all past the scanning!

Curious ... are you using an INTEL processor or AMD ?

again, an idea ... might you consider trying the Reaper demo? I'm in no way suggesting someone what DAW of preference, but it may help determine what's happening [or not] on your system.

I can definitely say ... there is really nothing out of the ordinary [codewise] in the NVC. Other than the newly implemented 'GainStage Cal', there is zero audio processing.

Just thinking out loud ... when the NVC's first load up, there is a 'Initialization Delay' intentionally added. Basically this disables the NVC's MIDI communication for the set number of seconds that's configured. This is to prevent battling with the DAW's setting all the various plugin reload values AND have the NVC resending them. Simply put, the NVC can be made to wait until the entire fxchain is loaded and values set BEFORE the NVC returns on-line.

Now ... it might be that Cubase is not liking this, and preventing a good scan. By default, I have a 12sec init delay [totally user configurable]. What you can try is:
1. go to the NVC Mammoth folder you placed in the VST section.
2. open and locate 'NVC-MP [MINI] [delay loader].txt' with the standard NOTEPAD.
3. Edit the file ... change 12 to 0
4. Resave [do NOT change the filename.

Now, the MIDI connect will not be delay ... so load Cubase and do a Re-Scan and see if that works.

... just an idea ...
let me know ;)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries