Login

160A COMPRESSOR Collection Now Released from CDS !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: 160A COMPRESSOR Collection Now Released from CDS !!!

Postby Martinez » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:27 am

What I really want to know is, is there any artifacts with this compressor library?
And also, does it have an adjustable ratio like the Rayphlex?

I bought the drum compressor lib from CDsoundmaster but I don't use it because that's just not a practical way of working at all.

The way Tim Cupwise's comp libs are set out is much more workable and I am wondering if the the 160 lib is like that at all?
Martinez

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:58 am

Hi JP,

All of the variables that are known to make up the sound of a device can be divided up and categorized into separate functions. These functions can then be applied the memory and function blocks used to reproduce the sound.

For example, you could sample/record a reverb program that comes from an old piece of hardware. That device might have transformers and op-amps, IC's, tubes, or other items, depending on what it is, to reproduce the sound. You could choose to record the unit to the best ability- just for the reverb, which would leave out some things about the harmonic distortion of the original unit. You might choose to record the same thing WITH harmonic distortion, which includes more information about how it originally sounded, but also takes more memory and more functions. This might come in handy especially if it is something like a tape reverb that has frequency, harmonics, and reverb going on.

jpchartrand wrote:So they can actually sample the compression process without any of the hardware tone?
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:12 am

In the Preamp Programs, the recording and thus the editing process can be designed specifically to characterize the sound in ways that are specifically lacking in most emulations that exist.

For example, with a Compressor- it either Can, or Cannot, actually reproduce the Compression artifacts of the device in NebPro. There are numerous factors determining this, in the recording process, but also in the options available in NebPro's engine.

For Preamps programs, you can record dynamic changes, meaning settings that are specific to the volume of the device at any given time.

You can record Frequency changes, meaning that anything that is typical of the unit from the lows, mids, and highs, can be captured.

You can record the harmonic distortion of the unit, meaning that any distortion that is generated is specific to the device and can be captured and edited.

The dynamic layers aspect of this is part of what makes the preamp program so valuable. Most emulations, which are algorithmic, either take a schematic approach to modelling sound, or a process approach. In the first approach, the changes that the algo will attempt to emulate will measure the way the imaginary op-amps/transformers/caps/ voltage/tube etc etc etc do in their functionality. This might guess some things rather well, but not good enough to convince our ears that the subtle changes in harmonics are accurate. I a process approach, instead of measuring schematics and ordering of events, it is more of a 'sound goes in, sound comes out' approach- trying to study the sound of the device at different settings to repeat the same result in an algo- to predict enough things to make it sound the same. I appreciate this approach because it is based on sound- which matters the most even if it defies the intentions of a schematic! But...

In both cases, trying to repeat every change of a device based on how it sounds- is almost infinitely changing and nearly impossible to ever get perfect in these algo approaches. So, often, once enough "ranges" of variables are known, they attach miniature randomization algo's to make things change, but without predictability. The result is that none of these things nail what is happening in the device itself.

You can tell NebPro to create a program, which is called a preamp program because that is originally what Giancarlo designed that type of program to work with- like a microphone preamp, to record what happens over time with the frequencies and harmonics, and not just at one volume, but at a layer of volumes. That way, if your device, in this case, the Compressor, sounds different when it clamps down hard on a drum versus barely compressing the signal at all, you get an accurate response. It is possible that a Compressor is so clean that it will be linear all the time, no matter what, but I have yet to run into that device! :-)

So, with the 160A, you can use the Compressor on its own and get something that technically is more accurate than any emu and it is great. If you have a 160 emu that you love, but wish it had what is missing, because of what NebPro does so well, you will definitely hear the benefits of adding the subtle changes in frequency and harmonics over multiple layers of volumes. If you use to two NebPro libraries together, you get the best of both worlds, because you have the extra detail of multiple levels of frequency and harmonics layered on top of the compression changes in the device. The choice of whether to use one, the other, or both partly depends on how much flexibility you need, what else you might own or decide to purchase, and also if you have typical sterile, free or paid, compressors, that you want to add more real preamp vibe to- even they are not 160's- it sounds great paired with things that need more interesting texture anyway! :-)

I hope this helps.

SWAN wrote:
jpchartrand wrote:
jorismak wrote:So you wonder if there actually is some depth captured if you only use the compressor program?

I don't think so. He stated in the first post of this thread that for authenticity you need both .

I wonder how that's possible. When they sample gear, doesn't the signal go through the entire signal path?

I was wondering the same thing then I realised dont they use different kernal lengths and other things about compressor captures which dont grab so much of the tonality? which explains why you sort of need both even though it goes thru with the compressor...
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:41 am

Here is the link for the 160A Preamp Collection:

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/CDS-Software-Online/160A-Neb.html

Here is the link for the 160A Compressor Collection:

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/CDS-Software-Online/160A-COMP-Neb.html

If you are a Returning Customer, please email me for your Special Discount.

SpliffSplaff wrote:Uhmm...either im blind....but where is the buy button for the preamp Collection??

Got it...little Bit complicated.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:44 am

Hi there,

If you use both collections, you do not need to combine them with another emulator. The 160A Compressor for NebPro handles the compression routines better than any algo emu now.
But, you CAN still experiment with using the Preamp programs of the 160A and other devices with other emu compressors. You can mix and match your software emu compressors with preamp programs to get a more interesting response. But, if looking for the ultimate 160 series, using the NebPro Preamp and Compressor are everything you need.

mtalavera wrote:So of you bought both the Preamp and the Compressor collection together, would you still need another compressor plugin, or would these two together work as a compressor?

The manual for the Preamp collection states, "I also highly recommend using this with any of your favorite non-Nebula Pro software compressors that have a VCA-style process, as it adds a pleasant harmonic texture even when combined with other brands." But would the Compressor collection take the place of the "non-Nebula Pro software compressor" mentioned?

I think I'm going to pick up both of these for sure, just wondering if I need to also pair them with another software compressor.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:52 am

Hi Kylen,

Yes, what Swang describes is accurate.
I am a little behind on updating some areas of the site.
I am in the process of getting these things caught up.

In the process of making updates, I've also been working on my Blog:

http://blog.clubvst.com/

I'm almost ready to launch the new YouTube tutorials- coming soon :) !

The dbx160A web pages are now updated, and others will follow soon.

Thanks so much for your patience and interest!
:D

kylen wrote:
filbula wrote:...for me it is the same.

I can see the D*x libraries only via the links in the forum or from the emails I have received from michael.

the same happens with some other products from cdsm.

Yes it seems there have been some changes over on the cdsoundmasters.com site - I had been using the 'Program Libraries' link to navigate to all the plugins: http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/CDS-Softw ... tware.html. Doing a google search or 'site:' search would bring up the 160 preamp but not the comp. Some older links I received for products now point somewhere else...we're getting lost out here Michael! :)
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:31 am

....and emerging from the depths of a long hiatus from the rest of the planet is Michael Angel, guru and Mr Awesome from CDSoundmaster with another of his ultra=detailed explanations. Back when I first started with Nebula and got so frustrated and confused that I was ready to go back to my all-algo plugins ( :shock: ), Michael took the time and energy to explain some very intense details and characteristics about Nebula, and that was the push and extra knowledge that enabled me to get beyond the threshold I was stuck at. This string of posts from Michael are awesome, I copy/pasted them to a doc to go over some more.....
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am

160 compressor program as good (and as fast?) as any algo plugin?

I've been using the 'fast comp' unit (which is _a_ 160dbx, don't know which) in front of a guitar amplifier to give some beef to my DI signal..

Gonna try this program see how it behaves, might be fun :).

Quick tests on kicks and drums (but not heavy stuff to be honest) worked out _very_ fine. I 'abuse' the NI plugins at my work sometime (take a stem track to the studio at my work, play with their expensive plugins, bounce and take it home :)) and I can clearly hear something 'extra' with the CDSM 160dbx compressor compared to the Native Instruments VC160 plugin.
Might just be different versions of a 160 modeled (there are a lot if I understand it correctly), but more likely it's just CDSM and Nebula working out perfectly again :).
jorismak

Postby jorismak » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:54 am

Oh Michael, forgot to ask to you (and maybe you missed it in the flood of messages :)) :

I don't have your preamp collection for the 160, but I have Henro O's Mojo set for a D*x. Is there really much different? Or are you too polite to say things about other libraries :).
jorismak

Postby SpliffSplaff » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:24 pm

The additional preamp library is just SWEAT!!! Highly recomended...

Michael...could you please recommend plugins you would use in tandem with your preamp stages? I am particularly Interested in the la2a stuff. Thanks.
SpliffSplaff
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries