Login

160A Preamp Collection Now Released from CDS !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

160A Preamp Collection Now Released from CDS !!!

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:34 am

We are pleased to announce:
The 160A Preamp Collection for Nebula Pro !!!

The 160A is among the finest sounding VCA compressors around. You will hear and read a lot of different opinions and comparisons between the different versions of the 160, from the original VU to the 160A and specifically comparing the VU to software variations that arise.
I have worked with many versions of the hardware and plug-in concepts, and can easily say the 160A is one of the most wonderful examples
of the classic VCA design D*x is known for.

This release is the "Preamp Collection" which provides you with the full signal chain of the electronics in the Nebula Pro program category "Preamp" meaning that it provides all of the sonics of the changes in loudness/volume, spectral/frequency changes, and harmonic distortion. These are provided at all of the desired Threshold and Ratio settings. This can be used with your favorite VCA compressor software or just for the added realism in your signal chain.

I am also pleased to share that I will also be releasing a separate library of compressor programs from this hardware unit in the near future.

This "Preamp Collection" release is designed to work together with the soon-to-be-released, completely separate compressor library of the same device. As I have mentioned in the past, I will not release a compressor library for a single piece of hardware unless it can accurately represent the range of its expected sound effects to a high level of realism that exceeds emulators from other developers. This rules out nearly all typical classic compressors. The 160A is unique in that it can be successfully recreated in NebPro with a special series of recording techniques and editing processes along with the internal Nebula Pro sound engine.

Where the compressor library will provide you with the absolute and undeniable classic 160 compression inside Nebula Pro, this
Preamp collection is an amazing asset, covering the detailed range of dynamics, frequencies, and harmonics specific to the sound of the unit separate from the actual compression changes and ratios.

So, use this 160A Preamp collection on its own or with your favorite software emulations of anything from SLL Buss Comps to 160's and truly anywhere that you experiment with getting more realism from the buss, kicks, snares, etc. I know that you will love this as much as I do! Then, use it with the NebPro version of the compression programs coming to you soon, and get the most amazing classic 160 inside your DAW!

From now through Wednesday, December 11, 2013, we are offering the
"160A Preamp Collection For Nebula Pro" for only $19 !!!

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/CDS-Software-Online/160A-Neb.html
If you received the email, there is a second email with the correct link :-)

Let me share my experience on these compressors from what I have listened to, what I have used hands-on, what other engineers have used on my music
in studios over the years, and the bottom-line for the 160A.

From what I have listened to, the VU software from a large software developer is an excellent plug-in, but sounds a little less warm and organic than the original hardware VU. I would also describe this as having the "breathing" and "pumping" characteristics down pretty well, but the attack and "click" and "pop" of the initial signal sounds a little more sterile and processed than the original. The X and XT actually sound closer to the VU plug-in I am mentioning here (the universal one). The original VU has matured into a great kick and snare compressor and not as good for general mix and buss as the popular plug-in, but I think this is partly because they have adjusted over the years when left without maintenance.

This actually ends up being a nice quality, but when recapping, the VU sounds much closer to the 160A. To my ears, the 160A sounds like a successful version of the qualities of the original VU when it is in new condition, and sounds like what I would hope to hear from the VU plug-in, but the typical software does not fully reach the attack and punch of the real unit.

The benefits of the Preamp collection come at every single ratio and threshold setting. You will love using this to add dimension and realism to your software compression and even more when the separate NebPro compressor library is released!

Thanks so much and God Bless You.
Sincerely,
Michael
CDS
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: 160A Preamp Collection Now Released from CDS !!!

Postby richie43 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 pm

I am planning on a "proper" review on this, but I needed to say a few things right away.....
I am loving the influx of more and more "preamp" (color) presets these days, and CDSM has been releasing some real gems (The 1176 and La2a are awesome). Here we have another in this same mind-set, and it is just as great and sonically delicious as the others. Michael has been rethinking his sampling and coding techniques, and everything he does is so pristine and "characterfull". This library has all of the character of the 160A, I have been using it with an "algo" emulation by Sknote, and the improvement is not subtle! There are a little over 100 presets, which may seem overwhelming for some people at first. But once you wrap your head around the "WHY" there are so many, you will be glad (like I am!) that this is not a simple "set-it-and-forget-it" plugin. No matter what preset you choose, you will get 160A yumminess. So if you want to be lazy, you COULD just throw one in randomly and move on- it will still sound great. But if you want to find the preset that has matching settings to how you have your plugin set (or close, at least), the options are there.
Check out this library y'all!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby biscoglio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:56 am

Nice - thanks for the mini-review richie. I just grabbed this and can't wait to check it out. I have the Native Instruments emulation and have to say I was disappointed with it. Gonna try this baby in combination with it. 8-)
biscoglio
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby richie43 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:43 am

biscoglio wrote:Nice - thanks for the mini-review richie. I just grabbed this and can't wait to check it out. I have the Native Instruments emulation and have to say I was disappointed with it. Gonna try this baby in combination with it. 8-)

No offense, but I demoed that same plugin and I'll just say that I am not surprised that you were unsatisfied with the NI compressor.... But definitely try some of these with it. But regarding a 160-ish compressor to use for the behavior......
I just saw the older delamancha 165 has gone from paid for to free recently, and it actually does a pretty good job. Something to consider....
According to CDSM's release info, it sounds like there will be a Nebula version of the actual compressor on the way, which is awesome.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:59 pm

hey michael,

i did not receive this email announcement. usually i get all of yours. hope i'm still on the list. this library is definitely of interest to me! :)
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby indelible » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:01 pm

richie43 wrote:I am planning on a "proper" review on this, but I needed to say a few things right away.....
I am loving the influx of more and more "preamp" (color) presets these days, and CDSM has been releasing some real gems (The 1176 and La2a are awesome). Here we have another in this same mind-set, and it is just as great and sonically delicious as the others. Michael has been rethinking his sampling and coding techniques, and everything he does is so pristine and "characterfull". This library has all of the character of the 160A, I have been using it with an "algo" emulation by Sknote, and the improvement is not subtle! There are a little over 100 presets, which may seem overwhelming for some people at first. But once you wrap your head around the "WHY" there are so many, you will be glad (like I am!) that this is not a simple "set-it-and-forget-it" plugin. No matter what preset you choose, you will get 160A yumminess. So if you want to be lazy, you COULD just throw one in randomly and move on- it will still sound great. But if you want to find the preset that has matching settings to how you have your plugin set (or close, at least), the options are there.
Check out this library y'all!

Could you please post some audio demos.I got 165 compressor from Sknote too.
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Return to 3rd party libraries