Login

[N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ Now Available

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: [N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ Now Available

Postby evaderod » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Hello RJ,

I wanted to share what I learned about your nvc controller for Alexb pulteq and nebula 3.

My System:

i7 2600k (stock)
win7 X64
16 gig ram
Presonus Studio one 2.61 X64
Jbridge
Nebula 3 server X64 1.6.0.2

The first bit of info is that it appears to work well with jbridge (I am running X64 DAW), with one question unanswered. It pertains to the behavior of the bypass module buttons in nvc. Do these send remote mesg to neb module to bypass using the nebula bypass
switch ? I ask because all these bypass switches have no effect on my setup or i don't understand their routing/function.

The custom xml reads and calibrates properly.

The program changes work properly.

The knobs and sliders all function properly.

The presets, file save and load and A/B preset switching all works

The G-drive switch for the gain/atten sliders dosen't have a visual or audible effect i can see on module in focus ( I may not "get" G-Driveconcept or useage ) but the dist position works as expected.

In Studio One 2 X64 this is how i got it to work

made custom xml
start new song in studio one
drag nvc vst to create beginning of pre fader vst chain on master buss out (or any pre fader channel or buss)
drag and drop 5 instances of nebula special pulteq one fter the other onto the same pre amp chain.
You should now have this vst chain :

nvc>nebpulteq>nebpulteq2>nebpulteq3>nebpulteq4>nebpulteq5

At this point I initialized the nvc xml file i made
next step was midi routing:

create an empty "instrument track" (in studio one this is a midi (midi control surface) or a midi/audio (vsti synth) track
open inspector
set the midi input to nvc (it will be in the list because it appears to the DAW as a vst midi control surface)
set midi input channel to chan 1
set midi output to nebputeq

create another empty "instrument track" (in studio one this is a midi (midi control surface) or a midi/audio (vsti synth) track
set the midi input to nvc
set midi input channel to chan 2
set midi output to nebputeq2

create another empty "instrument track" (in studio one this is a midi (midi control surface) or a midi/audio (vsti synth) track
set midi input channel to chan 3
set midi output to nebputeq3

set midi input channel to chan 4
set midi output to nebputeq4

set midi input channel to chan 5
set midi output to nebputeq5

select all the "instrument" tracks you made (5 in all) and pack them into a folder track

enable record and monitoring for this folder track

save as template (call it up to start a new song)

done!

drop your audio track on an empty space and go

Not ideal, but very functional once initialized. My thanks for your creation.

A few more questions (sorry) There appears to be no gain compensation between modules, is this correct ? And could you please an explain the bypass buttons function.
I can't make them do any thing.

Cheers,

Dave
evaderod
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby RJHollins » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:23 am

The first bit of info is that it appears to work well with jbridge (I am running X64 DAW), with one question unanswered. It pertains to the behavior of the bypass module buttons in nvc. Do these send remote mesg to neb module to bypass using the nebula bypass
switch ? I ask because all these bypass switches have no effect on my setup or i don't understand their routing/function.

Hi evaderod,

First, thank-you for you're detailed post, and glad to hear you've got most of it configured.

The individual 'Bypass' buttons do indeed issue [CC]-30 controller data with values of 0 & 127, as a standard MIDI toggle switch.

I have requested that access to Nebulas 'bypass' be added to its' MIDI implementation ... this may need a full Community request to get this :roll: Therefore , we had to link to the bypass to the insert on the fxchain.

To be clear ... only the individual bypass buttons need to link. The MASTER ByPass will talk to the individuals ones which will each issue their command.

2. The G-DRV/DIST controls.

G-Drv does not come with the 'factory' release [at least not mine], only 'DIST' [or Drive]. Some people have mod'd their library to add G-Drv ... if you have it, the NVC will provide access.

3. Gain staging.

Again, a much requested feature I've posted for ... we currently have no access to Nebulas main IN/OUT faders ... we need the Community to voice out for this !!! ... please !! So I don't have a direct way to control gains from the NVC :|

Side Note: I have a prototype VST plugin that was designed to handle gain staging for the NVC-AIR controller. It too is a standard VST plugin ... I'm looking at a concept that would assist with gain staging. Basically, this plugin would monitor the output of a Nebula and allow gain adjustment to the input of the following Nebula. I would like this to be as automatic as it can ... but the concept could get quite complex ... In it's current design for the NVC-AIR, it works well as a 'gain compensation' unit [the AIR library has major gain output changes between patches ... almost 14dB]. With the AIR library, I've been able to change patches on the fly and maintain a much better level balance.

I have, still, more ideas for this Gain Staging 8-)

Hope I've been able to shed some light ... and appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby bamboo123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:58 am

hi
i dont have issue but i didn't test it yet cauz i am on win7x64
and studio one x64,so i am waiting for a 64 bits release
also really interested in mamooth eq thers no demo on the site
neither email adress would love to leave my contact
to have some news