Login

[N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ Now Available

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: [N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ Now Available

Postby bamboo123 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:08 pm

hi
interesting project but when is gonna be 64 bits???
bamboo123
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 pm

bamboo123 wrote:hi
interesting project but when is gonna be 64 bits???

Hi bamboo,
What specific issue are you having to need 64bit ?
thanks
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:19 pm

News update ...

New User feature looks to be added ... :D

I'm testing a new NVC for another library last nite, and thought of a new feature I could use.

The scenario

When making various eq changes, there are times I
want to A:B the EQ IN and OUT.

Currently, there is a 'Bypass' available for each band, along with a master bypass. This would allow a Nebula instance to be dis-connected from the FXChain chain. This also takes out any of the 'color' that is module might have contributed.

But lets say we want the 'color' to stay, but want to compare the impact a band is having at the FREQ we are working?

How about a 'bypass' of the GAIN that band is getting :shock: ... an EQ IN/OUT button.

The idea. At the push of a button, we can instantly switch any 'Cut' or 'Boost' setting to a 0-zero GAIN, giving us a comparison of this 'bands' impact on the audio [while still maintain the 'color'].

We can have this for each 'band' sub-module ... along with a global control. Each 'In/Out' status is also stored in the PreSet Manager, and would be automate-able. 8-)

What cha think ;)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:09 am

news update...

The EQ In/Out feature has been reworked from the initial test design.

From my first, early experiments, I just knew that this was an important function for an engineer to be able to quickly and easily judge an EQ setting.

Using a alpha design for a new NVC, I've been testing this new feature throughout the day. The logic of this 'circuit' took a bit of a twist that turned out to be even better than I planned. [sometimes things just happen that way].

We can now 'bypass' the Gain [positive/negative] of each EQ band with a button press. The 'Gain' goes to '0-default' and the GUI displays highlights this status quite clearly ... yet at the same time, the knob displays the 'hidden' value.

Additionally, the knob is still able to be adjusted during this 'OUT' state, and when 'IN', immediately is at the current knob level.

This has made evaluating the impact a band setting is contributing in a dynamic way for the engineer, and a refined way of working with Nebula. I think this will be a welcomed feature added. The EQ 'In/Out' status is also monitored for the PreSet Manager and is automatable.

The design has functioned solid and dependable, and I'll be looking to add this to the NVC-PTeQ ... in fact, this feature is so nice [to me :lol: ] that it will be standard in all NVC's.

It's about work-flow and concentration with minimal distractions, so that we can make the best musical decisions.

... off to play :D

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby mrtrip » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Excellent news, I'll be having another go with it after your next update. Has anyone used this with the DDMF metaplugin in Cubase? I got it working before without DDMF but needed a simpler set up routing option.
mrtrip
User Level I
User Level I

Postby RJHollins » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:25 am

mrtrip wrote:Excellent news, I'll be having another go with it after your next update. Has anyone used this with the DDMF metaplugin in Cubase? I got it working before without DDMF but needed a simpler set up routing option.

Hi mrtrip,

Yes ... I can confirm that the NVC and the METAPLUGIN do work ! :mrgreen:

I've just tested this tonite with the very latest update from DDMF successfully.

The METAPLUGIN still may have a glitch to deal with ... but once you know what to do, it then works.

Here's the glitch:

When you load your NEBULA's into METAPLUGIN, you MUST open the GUI of each Nebula to allow it to get to its INIT state. Once you have done this the very first time, then it seems to work as expected.

Here's what I did:

In my FXChain [using REAPER] ... I loaded up the NVC, and followed that with the MIDIReaRoute[SM] plugin, that was followed by METAPLUGIN. [I kept the NVC & the MIDIReaRoute plugins outside of the Metaplugin] !

I open METAPlugin, and insert my custom NEBULA's for the 'audio' side.

On the MIDI side ... I've written a very small 'MIDI CHANNEL Filter' [VST]. :o I insert one for each NEBULA. Each of these filters are set to a corresponding MIDI Channel [set from the GUI of the MIDI CHANNEL Filter VST]. The MIDI connections are all tapped from the main MIDI module inside MetaPlugin. Each 'Outputs' is then connected to one of the Nebulas. This way, The Nebulas will only see one MIDI channel.

Then from the main FXChain, I go back to the NVC and select my patches.

I'll detail this better in a new thread, as this looks to be a solution for those who don't want to play with Reaper's routing, or use a different DAW.

The 'Midi Channel Filter' [VST] is a very basic plugin that I put together ... nothing fancy ... but it does this one job quite nicely. I will have to post this on my website as a support file. [remind me if you need this, or you can use any of your favorite Channel Filter plugins if desired].

To note: I've been cautious to use things like METAPLUGIN, Chainer, and several others, as I've had mixed results using them with Nebula. I know that DDMF has made effort to rectify issues ... hopefully this very latest update is working and solid ... lots more testing here.

There is also a new plug from BlueCat that I'm going to test. [I've been trying to figure out if the BC plug can handle MIDI ... anybody know ??].

Again ... remember to open the Nebula GUI's one time BEFORE you try to send patches to it from the NVC. This seems only a one time need when first building the Chain in MetaPlugin.

I'll test more ...

2nd reminder ... this Metaplugin was tested in REAPER ... may be an easier routing solution than using the Reaper Busses. :idea:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby mrtrip » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks for the reply, I will post once I've tested in Cubase. I would be interested to know if the new Blue Cats plugin has midi routing options built in.
mrtrip
User Level I
User Level I

Postby RJHollins » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:42 am

mrtrip wrote:Thanks for the reply, I will post once I've tested in Cubase. I would be interested to know if the new Blue Cats plugin has midi routing options built in.

Well ... I have to take back my 'confirmation' with MetaPlug :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil:
It now will NOT reload Nebula Presets when a project is reloaded :o :twisted: :twisted: [my test with Reaper-32].

I demoed the BC plugin ... it doesn't seem to respond to PRGCHG commands :shock: Some mention about this by the author ... maybe someone knows different about this [or just the demo has this limit ... I don't know]. :roll:

The next one I'll demo is the IK 'Magma' ... I've read some Nebula users have had some success with this. We'll see.

The ONLY chainer that I actually have working properly is Plogue's BIDDLE. :) This is the only chainer that reloads the Nebula presets [at least at 44.1 ... ]. Using BIDDLE I was able to filter each Nebula to a specific MIDI CHannel allowing the NVC to MIDI link as required. At least we know that the chainer concept is a possible solution.

BIDDLE also opens audio routing possibilities such as PARALLEL processing. The chainer can also help tidy up an efx bin... so that can be good.

As for the NVC additions ...

I've continued testing the EQ In/Out feature. Without a doubt, this function will be mandatory! [i can't believe I didn't get this in there earlier] ... this simple feature is just plain fantastic :mrgreen:

rj

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:12 am

RJHollins wrote:
mrtrip wrote:Thanks for the reply, I will post once I've tested in Cubase. I would be interested to know if the new Blue Cats plugin has midi routing options built in.

Well ... I have to take back my 'confirmation' with MetaPlug :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil:
It now will NOT reload Nebula Presets when a project is reloaded :o :twisted: :twisted: [my test with Reaper-32].

I demoed the BC plugin ... it doesn't seem to respond to PRGCHG commands :shock: Some mention about this by the author ... maybe someone knows different about this [or just the demo has this limit ... I don't know]. :roll:

The next one I'll demo is the IK 'Magma' ... I've read some Nebula users have had some success with this. We'll see.

The ONLY chainer that I actually have working properly is Plogue's BIDDLE. :) This is the only chainer that reloads the Nebula presets [at least at 44.1 ... ]. Using BIDDLE I was able to filter each Nebula to a specific MIDI CHannel allowing the NVC to MIDI link as required. At least we know that the chainer concept is a possible solution.

BIDDLE also opens audio routing possibilities such as PARALLEL processing. The chainer can also help tidy up an efx bin... so that can be good.

As for the NVC additions ...

I've continued testing the EQ In/Out feature. Without a doubt, this function will be mandatory! [i can't believe I didn't get this in there earlier] ... this simple feature is just plain fantastic :mrgreen:

rj

By the way, Magma is a Nomad Factory plugin, not IK. Just in case you go looking for it.....
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mrtrip » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:23 pm

I was able to save programs in Nebula with DDMF but only with an older version. I recently downloaded the latest version 2.3.9 and was unable to save any plugins presets not just Nebula. I could save via the graph menu in DDMF though. I will e-mail support regarding this as it seems like its not just me experiencing problems saving. The older version I'm using is 2.0.2
mrtrip
User Level I
User Level I

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries