Login

[N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ Now Available

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: [N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ Now Available

Postby richie43 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:34 pm

richie43 wrote:Howdy. Testing this was extremely frustrating until the flash of revelation happened and I "got" it. It's actually quite brilliant and RJ Hollins is getting my vote for Supreme Ruler of Audio when that election comes..... But anyway, I tested on 3 systems, all 64bit PC's. As RJ noted, this does not work yet on a 64bit DAW (Reaper), but depending on what plugins or tools you need for other DAW's, it MIGHT work on some other 64bit DAW (an essential plugin for using this in Reaper is a 32bit only plugin that does not bridge, which is extremely rare in Reaper). But if your 32bit DAW works on your 64bit OS, the NVC will too.
I encourage anyone who is curious about this to READ and WATCH ALL OF THE INFO that RJ has available. It seems like alot to take in, but once you jump in and start building the fx chain, it gets easier. Especially now that he and I know that it works, you don't have to spend time building an fx chain to find out that your work is correct but it just doesn't work....(Grrrrrrr...).... nope, we did that already! So if you be patient and follow the steps, you should have it up and running quickly. Feel free to PM or email me directly if you get really confused. I just ask that you don't contact me (or probably RJ, but that's up to him) for a complete walk through if you haven't even read the material and watched the video. Cheers, and have fun!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby biscoglio » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:50 pm

This is gonna be amazing and I'm buying the second its working for 64 bit reaper. I was just using AITB Germanos and Fear EQs with the GUI and FX chain one of the wonderful folks here uploaded and can't wait to get all my AlexB libs working like that :D This is the only thing that's been missing from Nebula for me - great work!
biscoglio
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby RJHollins » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:29 am

The problem program is MIDIReaRoute ... only.

This may take a group effort over at the Reaper forum to either request an 64bit update, or figure out the alternative solution.

2nd ... and I'm gonna request this ad nausium [man I hate that word :roll: ] ... but we need a way to allow a Nebula instance to listen on a user defined MIDI Channel. Not just OMNI mode.

It seems my singular voice is not enough to bring about this modification to Nebula. This would open many simple applications.

We need EVERYONE to voice a request for this update mod. [and throw in 2 additional [CC] controllers for the Master IN/OUT faders].

As to Reaper ... I hope some of the expert Reaper users would comment on the routing I did ... better yet, point out a better solution. Reaper touts a powerful, flexible system to route ... the way I did it was from a NOOB perspective. I have little to no experience using MIDI in Reaper.

The 'parameter modulation' with GUI was something I worked on. I tried to push it to the MAX. It always fell short, or hit a glitch. To that, it could provide the controls that I thought essential. It would also be limited to use only in Reaper.

Like it or not, MIDI is the communication protocol and is somewhat standardized. The NVC is not 'linking' one picture item to another item. MIDI opens direct communication between devices.

Even with Nebulas' modest MIDI implementation, we can still have access and control of the patch library and all parameters associated. The shortcomings of a 'parameter modulation only' could only hint at possibilities. This becomes evident when you get into combining different 'flavors' of preset [kernels] for example. Prior to using the NVC, the ability to make meaningful comparisons of textures and color was a distracting process ... having to manually set all parameters to compare 'like' settings. With the NVC, the ability to do this is automatic ... just change the preset, stay focused on listening. This is just one, simple example.

It still comes down to be able the try it. I could talk an ear off ... but it doesn't mean a thing to anyone. All I can really do is design a virtual controller that does what I need/want ... and that is as much complete control, flexibility, and least distraction to use Nebula in a demanding, commercial environment.

The internal function of the NVC is based on pure MIDI data ... it is really no different than an external controller keyboard that you hook in to play a softsynth or sampler. [well, except that it is a plug-in ;) ].

I realize it is earlier in the release, and I need to hear more feedback from those that have grabbed the demo.

I have WARNED that there is an issue with Reapers' Master Track FX insert. We do not know the cause, and it is NOT specific to only the NVC. That doesn't really help, and we are researching this issue, because I too want to have an NVC on the Master Track if I choose.

I also again hope that we get some insight from some of the MIDI heavyweights here, and share how best to work in other DAWs.

This is not my main gig ... and I'm not looking for it to be. The testing 'frustration' that Richie mentioned I can clearly state was NOT due to the NVC. The specific issue was a text file written was NOT able to be read back when first inserted on the Master Track of Reaper. After a month of testing and re-writing key components the result was still not solved. The moment the NVC was inserted on a regular track ... it worked. [oh, and then it could be placed on the Master track and work :roll: ].
The good thing from this event ... a much finer technique had been designed internally that made the programming part much more efficient and clean. For that I am thankful :D

As we get more feedback, I hope that we can get everyone smooth sailing.

rj
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:31 am

The MIDIReaRoute VST plugin that I put into the Reaper package was 'suppose' to be 64-bit compatible ... it appears to not be the case :o

Scanning through the Reaper forum, the author had release another design. The thread is here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43741
Though it is an older thread, there is plenty of discussion on it. Maybe some of the Reaper GURU's here can see if this provides a solution. There is a download in the thread.

I'm working on a new project that has its' own unique preset organization. I need to focus on this 'Rubics Cube' to be able to finally use this great library in a sensible way [to me].

Every library developer has 'their' way of designing and naming presets. I'm knee deep in solving this riddle.

Hopefully the link provides a 64bit Reaper solution.

Appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks!
rjh
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Vando » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Has anyone got this thing work with 64 bit Cubase?
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Vando,

You've not given much info to answer with.

Please describe where you are at with it so we can try to help.

thanks

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Vando » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi RJ!
1. Edited the .xml
2. Made a new Nebula with Nebula Set-Ups
3. Opened the NVC in Cubase
4. Loaded custom PoolTeQ from Nebula Set-Ups
5. "Configuration has changed-Reload .XML"
6. Loaded custom PoolTeQ from my normal Nebula folder
7. Still "Configuration has changed..."

Whatever I have tried allways comes this " Confi..."
and nothing happens with the sound although I tweak the buttons.
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby richie43 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Vando wrote:Hi RJ!
1. Edited the .xml

The instructions are for Reaper, as RJ explained, but have you looked at them anyway? There is more to setting this up than just the NVC and Nebula. You need some kind of plugins to help with the midi communication routing, and I am not sure what Cubase has natively (or 3rd party that works). In the end, you need 5 instances of the Nebula PoolteQ that you created (one for each band of the NVC, just like using Nebula), and plugins in between them to route the midi. Go to RJ's website and look at all of the setup info there is. This is not a "load and go" situation, and it is not a magic controller that can make one Nebula instance do more than it is intended. But the NVC IS a brilliantly coded interface to harness the elements of Nebula that we all love into a smoother operating gui so we can NOT deal with a few elements of Nebula that we don't like so much (work-flow, for instance). I personally don't mind working with native Nebula, with the one instance per function, but some people hate it so much that something like the NVC can make the difference between supporting Nebula and abandoning it completely.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Vando » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks Richie,
looks like it´s not so simple to make it work in Cubase. Maybe I'll concentrate on this thing when I'm not as busy as I am at the moment.

Does anybody out there know about Cubase's MIDI communication routing?

Vando
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 am

Vando wrote:Hi RJ!
1. Edited the .xml

Hi Vando,

I can understand some confusion dealing with a new way to control Nebula. I have made effort to minimize the configuration process, which is why there are so few buttons to hit or hand entering data. Because of this, it is important to be clear of what steps to take.

[note: I will try to do another video that is specific to 1st time configuring the NVC].

First ... it is not as complex as it may seem :shock:
:lol:
You may not feel that way in the beginning, but when you see the steps to do, it is really simple.

Compared to how we started, I'd bet it takes my beta-tester Richie a few minutes to put a new chain together or alter the patch configuration. I will say this, I'm watching for any ways that can streamline this entire process, but as stated before, there are some hurdles with the current Nebula MIDI implementation. Not just for the NVC controllers ... try to automate a change with Nebula, especially when more than one Nebula is in the chain ! :o
Anyone ... ANYONE, that knows how to do this ... PLEASE share your technique, cause I'm listening to learn.

Still ... it is easy to confuse things.

Take the XML files. We have 2 of them :roll: You have to understand which one might need editing [to activate the [CC] controllers], and which one is IMPORTED to tell the NVC all the patches in your custom library.

In the docs, I've tried to detail the main Nebula XML file. This is the XML file located WITH your Nebula_Reverb plugin [VST]. It is this file that must be edited [if you choose to hand edit as I did], with the 8 [CC] numbers that will allow specific access/control of the 8 parameter faders/knobs we see on the Nebula GUI.

This is a one-time edit. :D

Using ZAB's 'Nebula SetUps' will use this XML as a template for your custom Nebula. This will also be located in your VST folder.

With that [CC] information in the XML file ... we don't need to deal with that anymore. Only Nebula needs that file ... we just need to know what the [CC] channel number assignments are. I used 20 - 27 to handle the 8 channels. Those SAME numbers have to be edited into the NVC's configuration page. I include the names of the specific [CC] control that are shown from the library.

There is the 'other ' XML file :shock:

This XML was made by Zab's 'Nebula SetUps'. It is usually stored in the \nebulatemprepository\Setups folder.

This XML file is the ONLY one we want to 'teach' the NVC what your custom library contains for Presets.
You can have your custom library any way you want/need. Whatever you put in there, the NVC will then have it available.

For MY setup ... I now put the entire content of a specific library for my custom Nebula. The NVC has made switching, comparing, auditioning, testing any combination of Presets a mere click of the mouse button.

I'll highlite this ... the NVC will change the way you work with Nebula. In fact, the entire Nebula work-flow is transformed. Yes ... you still NEED Nebula ... they still need to be loaded into your efx chain. Once you establish the connection with the NVC, you are now able to mentally put all the Nebula's into the background of your mind, as you can now work the entire Nebula chain from a central command interface. The NVC will allow you to do things that are not readily possible from the individual Nebula's. Being able to switch Preset 'kernel' flavors while maintaining your eq settings is just one small example. The entire work-flow will feel like you are using an 'algo' plug-in ... but you have Nebula under the hood.

I'll stop here for the moment ...

Read the docs, watch the vid ... I'll help all I can.

I'm alfa-testing a brand new NVC for what I can now appreciate is a spectacular library.

The NVC allows me to bend, fold, and mutilate with ease :mrgreen: I always preferred the sound of Nebula over most any other plug-in ... but the ergonomics of multiple plug-ins that I had to navigate was making me work so much harder ... yes, the sound was justification ... but it was so chaotic ... and my mouse hand was paying for it :o

I have to go back and play with a new track for mastering. I don't have a name for the new controller ... but I'm liking this new library a lot !
:lol:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries