Login

[N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ Now Available

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

[N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ Now Available

Postby RJHollins » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:41 am

Announcing [N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ controller for AlexB PoolTeQ equalizer
Composite-2.jpg
Composite-2.jpg (78.09 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

Designed to provide comprehensive control of the AlexB PoolTeQ via standard MIDI protocol.

[Windows-32bit VST]
Front GUI control overview.gif
Front GUI control overview.gif (58.92 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

1.Intuitive GUI interface built on 5 sub-modules [Combo, LowFreq, MidFreq, HiFreq,
Preamp].

2. Multi-TAB'd GUI window for efficient display of Main EQ, Configuration, Documentation, and About info.

3. Preset based controls include: Discreet MIDI Channels [1-16], [CC] Continuous Controllers for Frequency selection, Gain, Bandwidth 'Q', Dual-function slider for
G-DRV/ Dist [drive], individual sub-module Bypass, Intelligent Master Bypass.
Sync option for Combo to link Gain/ATTN counter-action.

4. Preset Manager with 14 locations for 'favorite' settings or A/B comparison.

5. Using XML file generated by NebulaSet-Ups [Zabukowski], the NVC is automatically
configured with available Presets for your custom Nebula. Organized according to each
sub-module.

6. Intelligent Preset switching - as you select different 'flavors' of a Nebula preset [full kernel, SE, ND, Clean] all parameter settings [freq, gain, etc] are re-transmitted, allowing true A/B comparison of presets. This allows you to customize the 'colorization' of the overall EQ on a band by band basis while retaining all EQ settings.

7. DEMO version 1.0 I've tried to find a decent balance to allow evaluation. The plug-in will interrupt and bypass every few minutes and display an invite message to support this and future projects.

All upgrades/fixes will be free to customers. The registration will be a special file emailed from the PayPal invoice. This will fully un-lock the NVC.

The NVC series has had several re-writes since I started on this concept. Each time
I've tried to enhance and simplify, while providing the utmost control and practical
functionality within an intuitive interface.

The NVC is purely a MIDI controller in a VST format. The audio passing through the
NVC is untouched. All latency compensation only involve Nebula and are identical to
what each Nebula require. The NVC has no impact on this.

The 'Configuration TAB' provides for all setups to lock the NVC to your specific library and system. All Presets and Program Numbers used in the MIDI PRGCHG command are provided by the XML file of the custom library. This is a fully automated, one time, procedure [unless you change your library]. [CC] Continuous Controller channel numbers are User editable and stored along with the Preset definitions in NVC's own Config file. This NVC Config file is auto-loaded each time you launch the NVC.

We've added a special function called: 'Nebula Initialization Delay'. When a project you've worked is being re-loaded, all settings are re-called from the Saved state. In order to allow for different computer performances, we need to allow time for a DAW to load and initialize all inserted Nebulas before they are able to receive the MIDI commands with saved settings. There is no way to avoid the time it takes for the Nebulas to load, but we can control when the NVC will send it's data. Tests have shown 'delay' settings from 0 to 8 Seconds of 'Initialization Delay' needed to insure
that the last Nebula in the FX chain has had time to load and respond.

NOTE: this 'delay' has NO impact on the overall loading of the FXChain. The chain
needs time to load regardless. Once a 'delay' setting is established, the NVC will auto-load this setting by default. This special file is stored in the NVC folder as a standard TXT file, and is separate from the Preset/[CC] Config file.

With Patch Presets, [CC's], and Initialization Delay settings saved, the NVC will autoload these settings.

On the http://www.upallnite.us website I'll have the NVC-PTeQ package available for download. I've also posted support files for use in REAPER. [These have been cleared with the author]. It appears that one of the support files has 64-bit issues. I've posted to the Reaper forum for a solution.

Reaper is what I've switched to handle aspects of my mastering work. I still have
plenty to learn about Reaper and its functions. The MIDI routing I've put together may be only one way to do this. I welcome any improvements.

I've also posted a 'raw footage' video in REAPER, showing the MIDI setup and routing
that I'm using.

As for other DAW's and their 'ways', I can be only limited with help. There are aspect with the current state of Nebula's MIDI implementation that would be most useful.

To the best of my understanding, Nebula is coded to OMNI mode. It can respond to all
16 MIDI channels. There doesn't seem to be a way to internally set each Nebula to
respond to only a single MIDI channel. Because of this, we must use 'external'
solutions to isolate each Nebula to just one channel.

How this is best achieved on a DAW would be great to hear from 'Power Users' to
show the way. My REAPER solution works for all the NVC's I have designed.

Should a major change or technique be revealed, you can bet that I'll modify the NVC core operation accordingly.

I have a personal interest to make these the best I can, as I use the NVC's most
every session.

There are so many Nebula libraries that I personally want to use under a single
'master' controller. This 4th generation internal design is intended to be the core
engine to the NVC series. Though each library can present unique challenges based on the library construction, a goal is to provide a consistent way to build and control an effective FXChain.

Go to my web site http://www.upallnite.us and download the demo. Try to read through the documentation. There is a lot of information in there, regardless of how poorly organized and attempts to explain. [If someone can write a better doc ... there's a free Reg for ya]. I will try to help where I can.

This is not a simple/ limited Reaper [or whatever] parameter linking. This will be
obvious once you get up and running. We have a small Community of Nebulists, with
some very smart, helpful members. This is Version # 1.0 of the NVC. I am working to
bring the Nebula workflow experience into the expected control of an 'algo' plug-in,
with the sonic quality of Nebula under the hood.

This will change how you work and listen.

So, grab yourself a demo, read the docs, watch the video ... take your time. There are things you need to prepare. I will try to help. When you get it ... it will be worth it.

Again my Sincere thanks to those that have posted and emailed/PM'd. This has been a
time consuming, labor of love project and very important to my engineering work too.
I have learned that designing and coding for ones' personal use, and to then go public is exponential in effort.

And a special thanks to my beta-tester 'Richie', who, during the dark daze, would not let me quit on the public release. The testing was extensive, frustrating at times, and countless emails late into the night .... oh ... and the pay ... a mere token of thanks.
The NVC is much better because of this, and added to my ever growing [puny] knowlegde of programming :)

Alright ... I'm exhausted for the moment.

More info later ...
Thank-you.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Re: [N]ebula [V]irtual [C]ontroller NVC-PTeQ Now Available

Postby himhui » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:32 am

Great Move!

Hi RJHollins,
Does the demo let me save the path of PTEQ XML? It seems not working.....And I failed to make it having sound too.... :(
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:26 am

himhui wrote:Great Move!

Hi RJHollins,
Does the demo let me save the path of PTEQ XML? It seems not working.....And I failed to make it having sound too.... :(

Hi himhui,

The is no need to save the path of the XML file. The file is only needed one time [unless you change your custom library]. From then on, the NVC saves and loads from it's own Config file.

I'm not sure I follow your 2nd half question. The NVC does not have sound [it does pass audio through], all processing of sound is with the Nebulas you load into the chain. The NVC is a MIDI Controller. Again, I not clear on this question.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:34 am

Ahhh ... noticed that the Reaper setup tutorial link was not on the web site. :o

Now it is ! 8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby himhui » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 am

RJHollins wrote:
himhui wrote:Great Move!

I'm not sure I follow your 2nd half question. The NVC does not have sound [it does pass audio through], all processing of sound is with the Nebulas you load into the chain. The NVC is a MIDI Controller. Again, I not clear on this question.

I am confusing how nebula loads with NVC. Do I have to do it by hand or does it matter with the PTeQ.xml?
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm

I am confusing how nebula loads with NVC. Do I have to do it by hand or does it matter with the PTeQ.xml?

Oh, I understand better ...

The FX chain is built 'by hand' ... at least one time till you can saved it in your DAW as a chain preset.

To give a good overview to this, I've made available the video on my website that shows how I did this with REAPER. Watching this will help explain a lot.

You could think of the NVC much like a MIDI track that provides the MIDI data that you send to various softsynths or samplers. In our case, the 'sampler' is NEBULA. For full capability of the PoolTeQ equalizer, we use 5 Nebula's to handle the 5 sections of this EQ. Each 'section' has a unique MIDI Channel that gets assigned to a single NEBULA. When properly configured, each Nebula with be discreetly controlled from the NVC interface ... that is, ALL presets from the PTeQ library are already located in the proper NVC sub-module. This patch information is gather directly from your custom XML file. Each sub-module of the NVC has all the controls that are available to those groups of presets. The MID-Freq sub-module provides Bandwidth control, which the other presets don't have, as they are not apart of the hardware design [so not available in the library].

I realize that this may all sound confusing at first. We have not had a controller quite like this [although I would NOT say that this is a brand new concept], but the NVC is unique to Nebula in that it communicates purely with MIDI data to tell NEBULA what patch it should load, and what it should put its parameter settings at. This is what you control from the NVC equalizer layout [GUI].

Once properly configured and MIDI routing in place ... you can mentally put all the NEBULA's into the background. Out of sight, out of mind. The NVC will be your master control of the entire PoolTeq equalizer.

If you can, check out the video. It is nothing fancy, nor even remotely polished [so I'm embarrassed about that], but it will help to see it getting setup and working in Reaper.

I hope this helps a little. This is something new and quite powerful in use. We'll do everything we can to help. Thank you for asking questions. This is important.

rjh

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:39 pm

hmmm ... now that I re-read you question yet again ... I think I totally missed what you were asking :roll:

If I think I understand ...

The original design of the NVC used a manual entry of the preset data. It was a tedious task, and fraught with all possible typing errors. Basically, a potential nightmare :shock:

The NVC has evolved :o

The Preset data that the NVC needs to have is now provided by the custom XML file that was created using ZAB's 'NebulaSet-Up' app.

The LOAD button on the NVC Configuration TAB is used to locate to that special file and load it in. From there, the NVC gathers, parses, organizes, and splits the available library into the required NVC sub-module menus. This is a fully automated process.

The only data that the User needs to supply are the [CC] Continuous Controller channel numbers.
This needs to correspond to the assignments made in the main NEBULA XML file [located in the VST folder].

The Presets that are supplied from the Set-Ups XML file, and the [CC] numbers that are typed into the NVC are then saved into a special NVC configuration file. From then on out, we have no need for the SetUP XML file [unless you change your library]. The NVC auto-loads its special config file when you insert the plug-in automatically. Your library patches and [CC] will already be ready to use. The Configuration page is really a one-time need. For 99.9% of the time, you'll be using only the main EQ window.

was that the question :oops: :?:
:lol:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Jordi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:25 am

Hello!! Is posible desenvolupment this for MacosX?? I believe NVC is not posible for x64... Is this really??

Thanks, for your work
Jordi
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby RJHollins » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 am

Jordi wrote:Hello!! Is posible desenvolupment this for MacosX?? I believe NVC is not posible for x64... Is this really??

Thanks, for your work

Hi Jordi,
At this time, I'm not able to develop for MacOSX until the dev software supports this. We hope that this would happen some day.

As for 64-bit ... The NVC does run on the 64-bit Win systems. There is some issue with a support plug-in with Reaper, and I've inquired about this... but have not heard further.

Specifically on 64-bit. This is a hot topic for the dev software. We are all waiting on any developments on this.

For the NVC on 64 ... 'Richie' did all beta-test with 64-bit OS. Hopefully he'll stop in and provide details.

rj

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:12 am

Howdy. Testing this was extremely frustrating until the flash of revelation happened and I "got" it. It's actually quite brilliant and RJ Hollins is getting my vote for Supreme Ruler of Audio when that election comes..... But anyway, I tested on 3 systems, all 64bit PC's. As RJ noted, this does not work yet on a 32bit DAW (Reaper), but depending on what plugins or tools you need for other DAW's, it MIGHT work on some other 64bit DAW (an essential plugin for using this in Reaper is a 32bit only plugin that does not bridge, which is extremely rare in Reaper). But if your 32bit DAW works on your 64bit OS, the NVC will too.
I encourage anyone who is curious about this to READ and WATCH ALL OF THE INFO that RJ has available. It seems like alot to take in, but once you jump in and start building the fx chain, it gets easier. Especially now that he and I know that it works, you don't have to spend time building an fx chain to find out that your work is correct but it just doesn't work....(Grrrrrrr...).... nope, we did that already! So if you be patient and follow the steps, you should have it up and running quickly. Feel free to PM or email me directly if you get really confused. I just ask that you don't contact me (or probably RJ, but that's up to him) for a complete walk through if you haven't even read the material and watched the video. Cheers, and have fun!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries