Login

Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set - huge V2 update!!!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise release- Creamy 660 Comp/Limiter set

Postby Will The Weirdo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:46 am

FWIW, this is the best in the box compressor ever!
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.2, Reaper 5, Live 9.6

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase
Will The Weirdo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:19 am

indelible wrote:I would like to know what are the differences between the two sets.I'm still using the very first demo program and like it so I would like to know on which set is based.
harmonik wrote:Not sure where the split is for the new A/B packages. The manual mentions 4 vectors... to achieve Comp, Limiter, Combo1, Combo2, and Pass-Through(s) A-D. Not sure what a /2 is doing. I think I overlooked something. Or is part B just the "Alternate" programs?

ok, it seems that i forgot to upload the new manual with the added section that explains the differences between parts A & B. i just did that. so if you go to the main page and check out the manual from the link there, you will see a section in that goes into some detail about this. but really, it's like this-

both offer very similar functionality, but only with different sounds/results. basically, i wanted to try to get a comprehensive span of results from the thing, so i sampled it multiple times, with different amounts of drive going in, and different combinations of positions of the two thresh controls, which give different results.

set A gives you the 'comp' and 'lim' vectors, which originally (before releasing the set) i had together in one vector, but i split it into two. 'comp' gives you the 'comp' side of the, i think 1st thresh control? and 'lim' gives you the 'limiter' side of that control.

combo1 gives you the entire span of that same control, from 'comp' to 'limiter', in one vector, but was sampled with different positions of the OTHER threshold control, AND with different input drive levels going into the thing. combo2 ALSO gives you the full span of that control, but again with different combinations of the OTHER controls, AND again with different drive levels going in.

so they all sound DIFFERENT, and behave different. i can't really say either is BETTER or BEST, but i personally felt that the 'comp' and 'lim' ones were the ones i ended up preferring just a bit, and usually the comp one. the combo ones i think were both driven a bit hotter than 'comp' and 'lim' were.

besides that, since essentially, 'comp' and 'lim' are two halves of a full picture, where combo1 and combo2 are like two full pictures, i decided to put 3 of the 4 pass-throughs in with 'comp' and 'lim' in set A, to kind of balance that out. then in setB i put the last pass-through, which was overdriven and also had two 1176 comps in the chain (one driving it and one after to bring the level back down). so that one is more extreme.

SO, really, if you don't have either, i would say to just get set A. i think set B is a little more aggressive, not very but slightly, with the compressors. but that means set A is probably slightly more representative of using the comp in normal usage. so basically, just get A, and if you like A, consider B as a way for you to get some different variations of the same general flavor.

the demo set has one position of the thresh from the 'comp' program (from set A), and one of the combo programs from set B (but no harmonics in the demo, which really cripples the sound). but really, again, i think you should just get A first because they can both do basically the same thing, only with sometimes slightly and other times fairly different results. if you have both sets you might find that for some sources you prefer 'combo1' (set b) with thresh1/2 controls in a certain sweet spot, and 'lim' (set a) with those controls in another spot for other sources, etc. but you could get by with either one of the two sets...

that's really the best way i can describe it. i know it's confusing and i wouldn't have ever split the thing if people seemed to be responding to the demo programs better, but i think i just couldn't find a great way to present what these things can do with those demos (it's hard to do that and not give away too much), so i split it so the price of entry is cheaper. think of A & B as two different colored crayons basically..
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:49 am

At this quality, for such a coveted piece of hardware, and at these reasonable prices, I suggest for everyone eliminate the confusion and frustration of indecision and buy both sets and get it over with!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby indelible » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 pm

Cupwise wrote:
indelible wrote:I would like to know what are the differences between the two sets.I'm still using the very first demo program and like it so I would like to know on which set is based.
harmonik wrote:Not sure where the split is for the new A/B packages. The manual mentions 4 vectors... to achieve Comp, Limiter, Combo1, Combo2, and Pass-Through(s) A-D. Not sure what a /2 is doing. I think I overlooked something. Or is part B just the "Alternate" programs?

ok, it seems that i forgot to upload the new manual with the added section that explains the differences between parts A & B. i just did that. so if you go to the main page and check out the manual from the link there, you will see a section in that goes into some detail about this. but really, it's like this-

both offer very similar functionality, but only with different sounds/results. basically, i wanted to try to get a comprehensive span of results from the thing, so i sampled it multiple times, with different amounts of drive going in, and different combinations of positions of the two thresh controls, which give different results.

set A gives you the 'comp' and 'lim' vectors, which originally (before releasing the set) i had together in one vector, but i split it into two. 'comp' gives you the 'comp' side of the, i think 1st thresh control? and 'lim' gives you the 'limiter' side of that control.

combo1 gives you the entire span of that same control, from 'comp' to 'limiter', in one vector, but was sampled with different positions of the OTHER threshold control, AND with different input drive levels going into the thing. combo2 ALSO gives you the full span of that control, but again with different combinations of the OTHER controls, AND again with different drive levels going in.

so they all sound DIFFERENT, and behave different. i can't really say either is BETTER or BEST, but i personally felt that the 'comp' and 'lim' ones were the ones i ended up preferring just a bit, and usually the comp one. the combo ones i think were both driven a bit hotter than 'comp' and 'lim' were.

besides that, since essentially, 'comp' and 'lim' are two halves of a full picture, where combo1 and combo2 are like two full pictures, i decided to put 3 of the 4 pass-throughs in with 'comp' and 'lim' in set A, to kind of balance that out. then in setB i put the last pass-through, which was overdriven and also had two 1176 comps in the chain (one driving it and one after to bring the level back down). so that one is more extreme.

SO, really, if you don't have either, i would say to just get set A. i think set B is a little more aggressive, not very but slightly, with the compressors. but that means set A is probably slightly more representative of using the comp in normal usage. so basically, just get A, and if you like A, consider B as a way for you to get some different variations of the same general flavor.

the demo set has one position of the thresh from the 'comp' program (from set A), and one of the combo programs from set B (but no harmonics in the demo, which really cripples the sound). but really, again, i think you should just get A first because they can both do basically the same thing, only with sometimes slightly and other times fairly different results. if you have both sets you might find that for some sources you prefer 'combo1' (set b) with thresh1/2 controls in a certain sweet spot, and 'lim' (set a) with those controls in another spot for other sources, etc. but you could get by with either one of the two sets...

that's really the best way i can describe it. i know it's confusing and i wouldn't have ever split the thing if people seemed to be responding to the demo programs better, but i think i just couldn't find a great way to present what these things can do with those demos (it's hard to do that and not give away too much), so i split it so the price of entry is cheaper. think of A & B as two different colored crayons basically..

Ok.Thank you for the explanation.I'll get part A as soon as I can
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Will The Weirdo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:18 pm

Tim,
As a working pro who has used almost every piece of high end gear made, I can safely say you should never again split your work because of complaints on the demos. Your low prices and and past work speak for you, any Nubula user not willing to buy your offers the way you offer them, is not worthy of your hard work. Your Nebula compressor work is second to none and has me no longer missing outboard compressors. I am still amazed at the 660 quality and very thankful for your dedication and hard work, please keep it up..... and please release your own 2500!

Will The Weirdo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Arne » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:27 pm

Will The Weirdo wrote:Tim,
As a working pro who has used almost every piece of high end gear made, I can safely say you should never again split your work because of complaints on the demos. Your low prices and and past work speak for you, any Nubula user not willing to buy your offers the way you offer them, is not worthy of your hard work. Your Nebula compressor work is second to none and has me no longer missing outboard compressors. I am still amazed at the 660 quality and very thankful for your dedication and hard work, please keep it up..... and please release your own 2500!

I second that, awesome, affordable - simply a bargin!
Arne
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:13 pm

well, i don't know if i would call these comments i got, complaints. they were from people who bought the set, and were telling me that they really liked it, and that they didn't think the demo did the full set justice. and i kinda agreed. because in one of those programs, you're stuck with only one spot on the 2nd thresh control, but do have a few harmonics, but that 2nd thresh control is what you adjust to find a 'sweet spot' and you can't adjust it. the other demo program allows you to adjust it but it has no harmonics, which are important since it's a tube comp.

and as far as any people not deserving my stuff, well, i don't know about that. i DO have pride in what i do, i do consider it a bit of an art in some ways (probably a bit more with my more creative releases like custom tremolo than with this comp stuff), but the main thing i have to think about is how to get sales so i can get money and keep doing it. the sales for 660 hadn't been as good as previous comps, and even with the higher price per sale i wasn't getting the same kind of return as i had with those previous comps. so in trying to find a 'sweet spot' for my pricing, i think i found that going close to 40$ for something like this results in less returns for me.

and its not just about money so i can continue living this luxurious lifestyle (ha), but i need money to do more of the things i want do with nebula. right now i'm scheming on a project that i think could be big, but would cost me quite a bit. splitting the set has resulted in several sales of the split parts so, maybe that's money i wouldn't have otherwise got.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby sfabs » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:36 pm

im no studio pro, but I love it!!! compressing everything with it! makes everything sound better (in my ears anyway)

wish I could use it to compress my girlfriend into something warmer! :D
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Will The Weirdo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:44 pm

LOL,
You can always swap her out for another model, one with warmth and lots of top end.

Will The Weirdo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby marcpl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:31 pm

this may be the best ITB comp in existence. great job.
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries