Login

Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set - huge V2 update!!!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise release- Creamy 660 Comp/Limiter set

Postby Cupwise » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:28 pm

harmonik wrote:My bad on thinking it was a 10 ms prog rate. I didn't realize it was down in the 2-3 ms range for compressors.

well you probably just got it confused with the fact that the default length of the actual samples is reduced down to 10ms for compressors. that's what allows the prog rate to go down to 2-3ms. everything you said about the averaging stuff was right but only you're dealing with a 2-3ms window instead of 10, which i think is good.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:55 pm

when you have a short sample length (kernal?) and low prog rate does that mean you dont pick up so many harmonics? so its best to also use the pass thru after?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:14 pm

short sample length doesn't affect the level of the harmonics, no.

but if you want to use a pass-through after to get a thicker result, try it out and see if you like it!

another thing i'll say is that i got to put more time into looking at my shq programs and trying to optimize them better. i think they render a fair amount faster than the ones from the smooth609 release, so i think people should really consider using them for rendering, even if it is a bit of an annoyance to have to somehow transfer the settings you had to the shq program after loading it.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby myimo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:26 am

Excellent work.
Been trying this out on a lot of diverse material over the last couple of days and the programs are far more impressive than the Demos suggest.
I think everything is in the manual, and for me having a maximum -18db input and pushing the volume back up with the makp is essential. It works really well with a vst comp in front as suggested and turns plastic to gold. Also the Alt programs have a lot of tasty things going on for the right material.
myimo
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby kylen » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Just picked the 660 up based on the nice audio demos on your site Mr. Cupwise. Also I like the philosophy for your infrastructure, quality vector sampling and just what is needed programs. It seems you're a bit of a nebula 'scientist', maybe you have to be to even do the sampling, but always looking for better ways to work within the [considerable?] constraints of the technology are impressive too. Lastly you don't mind sharing some nice tips - like how I get my original xml back to standard, I've tweaked it without knowing what I'm doing unfortunately (based on folklore) so I'll be glad to hear your 660 comp the way it should be heard. :D
kylen

Postby Cupwise » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:15 pm

if you dont have a new xml and want one you have to reinstall. i've done it several times and it's pretty quick and painless. you could install to a new folder just to get the xml.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby kylen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you, I tried it and it seems to have worked. I only had to point the path name in the xml file back to 'c:\nebularepositorytemp' (I think thats the path). It would be very nice if Nebula had a button to restore the standard published xml settings.
kylen

Postby Cupwise » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:40 am

ok i just uploaded a new .zip for the demo set, which contains another demo program.

the original demo was taken from the 'comp' vector in the full set, and demo2 is from 'combo1'. for demo1 i disabled the thresh2 control, which is a sampled control from the unit, and which seems to adjust the ratio/thresh/knee all at once. so it drastically changes how the thing sounds.

i decided that having that disabled means that the demo only gives a slice of what the comps can do and sound like so i made demo2, which has that control still intact. it doesn't have dB readout like thresh1 does, it just goes from 0-100, and around 0 puts you on the 'compression' side of that control on the actual unit, while 100 is on the 'limiter' side. i think the closer to 0 you get, the 'squishier' or 'mushier' the sound gets, and it gets more open as you go towards 100. you also get less compression as you move towards 100. but i feel like most of the best uses with this thing are probably when you only use it for a couple dB of compression, for the sound it gives.

demo2 still has limitations though. it's only 1k, and the attack AND release controls are restricted to the fastest settings only. also there's no SHQ program for it like there is for demo1. i think it gives you more insight into the kinds of results these things can give your mixes though.

also within a few minutes after i post this the price is going up to what i originally planned for it to be..
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Metalblast » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:25 am

fantastic idea to bring this fat bottomed MONO horse on the nebula platform :!: :!: :!:
a phenomenal boost by limiter SHQ.

Great !
Metalblast
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby greekpeet » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 pm

After using the demos more so for their harmonic content prior to the stock Ableton comps I'm fairly sold on picking these up. They add a fantastic character to any vanilla plugin comp. finding new uses for both my own and clients mixes each and every day.

Great addition to the tool box, even after initially being underwhelmed with the demos.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries