Login

Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set - huge V2 update!!!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise release- Creamy 660 Comp/Limiter set

Postby Cupwise » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:43 am

oh and also one thing i think may be of interest is that one of the pass-through programs used an original black 1176 to drive the 660 to saturation, and another after it to bring the level back down before a/d. that program can give compression of it's own which is maybe slightly from the threshold being surpassed (the unit doesn't have a way to bypass the compression), but i think it's mostly from the unit being overdriven/saturated and you can kind of hear it as such. it doesn't give tons of distortion but it can give a 'hot' sound. it also works best with signals that are already compressed going in, or at least that have a limited dynamic range. so it's not something you might always use or be able to use, but it can sound pretty cool when it works well.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby indelible » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi Cupwise.It looks like a great release.Can I ask you what settings do you use in the audio demos?I want to replicate them using the demo programs.I already got the Rayphlex and Smooth 609 but I got problems with them.They sound pumping and dull on heavy transient material.My gain staging is right but maybe my computer is the problem or the nebula settings.I don't know.So I want to be sure the 660 comp will work for me before I purchase it.
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby kels » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Got it !
Sounds awesome :):)
So far I tried on guit group and vocals. Both the sound signature and the compression itself work great.
such a great release !!
...keep us informed for updates
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:09 pm

indelible wrote:Hi Cupwise.It looks like a great release.Can I ask you what settings do you use in the audio demos?I want to replicate them using the demo programs.I already got the Rayphlex and Smooth 609 but I got problems with them.They sound pumping and dull on heavy transient material.My gain staging is right but maybe my computer is the problem or the nebula settings.I don't know.So I want to be sure the 660 comp will work for me before I purchase it.

sounds to me like something isn't right. if you've modified your nebula .xml setup i would suggest you start over with a new, untouched one, and only add the mods i suggest in the smooth 609A manual (or the 660, both the same mods). then try the smooth/rayphlex stuff again, and the 660 demo. you can always create an all new nebula instance just to use with my stuff, if you want to keep any 'mods' separate between releases. you could use zabukowski's great Nebula Setups program to separate the libraries and give them their own instance, then go and edit the xml of that instance to add in the mods described in my manuals. but the main thing is that you need to make sure the xml hasn't been touched first.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby indelible » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Here is my .xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<?generated by Nebula2 parser?>
<MASTER>
<MAGIC> o010 </MAGIC>
<DATAPATH> /Library/Audio/Presets/AcusticaAudio/Nebula3/ </DATAPATH>
<PROGRAMSUBPATH> Programs/ </PROGRAMSUBPATH>
<VECTORSUBPATH> Vectors/ </VECTORSUBPATH>
<SETUPSUBPATH> Setups/ </SETUPSUBPATH>
<CACHESUBPATH> Temp/ </CACHESUBPATH>
<SKINSUBPATH> Skins/ </SKINSUBPATH>
<SETUPROMNAME> Rom.xml </SETUPROMNAME>
<DICTIONARYSUBPATH> Dictionaries/ </DICTIONARYSUBPATH>
<DICTIONARYROMNAME> Rom.xml </DICTIONARYROMNAME>
<WORKBUFFER> 131072 </WORKBUFFER>
<THREADS> 1 </THREADS>
<THREADSMINDIM> 0 </THREADSMINDIM>
<HDIMMAX> 10 </HDIMMAX>
<FIXEDQUALITY> 0 </FIXEDQUALITY>
<SERVERADDRESS> . </SERVERADDRESS>
<SERVERPORT> 6000 </SERVERPORT>
<METERTYPE> 4 </METERTYPE>
<OTIMED> 5 </OTIMED>
<OFREQD> 11 </OFREQD>
<PROGRAMRATE> 2000 </PROGRAMRATE>
<EXPORTAUDIOQUALITY> 1 </EXPORTAUDIOQUALITY>
<FORCEOFFSET> 1500 </FORCEOFFSET>
<LTIMED> 5500000 </LTIMED>
<LFREQD> 6000000 </LFREQD>
<GUIRATE> 30000 </GUIRATE>
<HDIM> 10 </HDIM>
<BPMDEFAULT> 127000 </BPMDEFAULT>
<AHEADLENGTH> 1496 </AHEADLENGTH>
<SCANBOOT> 1 </SCANBOOT>
<AUTOTHREAD> 0 </AUTOTHREAD>
<FASTBOOT> 1 </FASTBOOT>
<RATECONVERSION> 4500000 </RATECONVERSION>
<FONTCOLOUR> 0 </FONTCOLOUR>
<SKINNAME> OverwriteMe.N2S </SKINNAME>
<NODROP> 1 </NODROP>
<LOADERPRIORITY> 1 </LOADERPRIORITY>
<MODE> 0 </MODE>
<DSPBUFFER> 512 </DSPBUFFER>
<MIDISTSMIX1> 176 </MIDISTSMIX1>
<MIDICTRMIX1> 127 </MIDICTRMIX1>
<MIDISTSMIX2> 176 </MIDISTSMIX2>
<MIDICTRMIX2> 127 </MIDICTRMIX2>
<MIDISTSMIX3> 176 </MIDISTSMIX3>
<MIDICTRMIX3> 127 </MIDICTRMIX3>
<MIDISTSMIX4> 176 </MIDISTSMIX4>
<MIDICTRMIX4> 127 </MIDICTRMIX4>
<MIDISTSMIX5> 176 </MIDISTSMIX5>
<MIDICTRMIX5> 127 </MIDICTRMIX5>
<MIDISTSMIX6> 176 </MIDISTSMIX6>
<MIDICTRMIX6> 127 </MIDICTRMIX6>
<MIDISTSMIX7> 176 </MIDISTSMIX7>
<MIDICTRMIX7> 127 </MIDICTRMIX7>
<MIDISTSMIX8> 176 </MIDISTSMIX8>
<MIDICTRMIX8> 127 </MIDICTRMIX8>
</MASTER>
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Cupwise » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:05 pm

well, just glancing at it the dsp buffer is lower than mine is set (mine is <DSPBUFFER> 8192 </DSPBUFFER>), but i don't think that would cause what you are describing. i'll say that while i feel like i know the structure of nebula programs almost inside and out (which are also .xmls before being encrypted to .n2ps), the nebula setup .xml i'm not as familiar with. i don't really see there being much in there that can improve performance in any way that interests me personally. the mods i suggest in my manuals are just to allow longer timed mode and longer possible look-ahead, both which seem to me should be the default settings.

so i'm not going to get into the habit of looking at peoples' setup xmls to try to debug and find out where there may or may not be a problem, because i could miss it. if you own my smooth and rayphlex libraries and are having problems with them you could have emailed me at any time, but i'll repeat the first step i already suggested- if you made a mod to that xml, get a new one. because if you modified that somehow, that's on you, and i can't be expected to work out where things might have went wrong. if you get a fresh xml, we can see if you think things are improved or not and go from there. i haven't seen anyone else describe what you are so it's making me think that there is something on your end going on here. either that or you just don't like my compressors, which is OK. i always have demos to allow you to check them out before buying..

another thing i might mention is that i always use the nebulareverb instance to start from (not that i think it really matters, as long as the setup allows longer kernel lengths and look ahead time).
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby indelible » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 pm

Cupwise wrote:well, just glancing at it the dsp buffer is lower than mine is set (mine is <DSPBUFFER> 8192 </DSPBUFFER>), but i don't think that would cause what you are describing. i'll say that while i feel like i know the structure of nebula programs almost inside and out (which are also .xmls before being encrypted to .n2ps), the nebula setup .xml i'm not as familiar with. i don't really see there being much in there that can improve performance in any way that interests me personally. the mods i suggest in my manuals are just to allow longer timed mode and longer possible look-ahead, both which seem to me should be the default settings.

so i'm not going to get into the habit of looking at peoples' setup xmls to try to debug and find out where there may or may not be a problem, because i could miss it. if you own my smooth and rayphlex libraries and are having problems with them you could have emailed me at any time, but i'll repeat the first step i already suggested- if you made a mod to that xml, get a new one. because if you modified that somehow, that's on you, and i can't be expected to work out where things might have went wrong. if you get a fresh xml, we can see if you think things are improved or not and go from there. i haven't seen anyone else describe what you are so it's making me think that there is something on your end going on here. either that or you just don't like my compressors, which is OK. i always have demos to allow you to check them out before buying..

another thing i might mention is that i always use the nebulareverb instance to start from (not that i think it really matters, as long as the setup allows longer kernel lengths and look ahead time).

Thanks for the reply.I'm not happy because I can't get the ''wow'' factor out of the 2 compressors.I'm pretty sure that all the people opinions is just hype and your compressors are awesome but just right now for whatever reason they don't work for me.I'm not an audio guru for sure but I can recognize when something is going wrong on the mixbus and it's not related to the compressor settings.Tomorrow I'll try the same programs on my Windows laptop.It's more powerful than my iMac.Sorry for this off topic part.

p.S:
We had some discussion about the same problem in the Smooth 609 thread
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Cupwise » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:39 pm

indelible wrote:Thanks for the reply.I'm not happy because I can't get the ''wow'' factor out of the 2 compressors.I'm pretty sure that all the people opinions is just hype and your compressors are awesome but just right now for whatever reason they don't work for me.
well i've asked you twice now if you have an unmodified xml and you won't tell me. i can't help you if you won't follow that suggestion and make sure you have a fresh xml. or even just tell me if you know for sure that you haven't modified the xml at any point in time. i need to know this, before i can help you any further. that's just how the process works.
indelible wrote:I'm not an audio guru for sure but I can recognize when something is going wrong on the mixbus and it's not related to the compressor settings.
and i'm trying to help you find the problem and you aren't working with me. if you want you can go to my site and use the contact form there so we can try to figure this out via email.
indelible wrote:Tomorrow I'll try the same programs on my Windows laptop.It's more powerful than my iMac.
that won't make any difference if the problem is related to a modified xml and you are using the same setup on windows laptop. maybe the problem isn't the xml, but i need to know that before looking at other possibilities.
indelible wrote:p.S:
what discussion and where in the thread? btw the smooth609, just like the rayphlex and just like this 660 release, also had a free demo that you could check out to see if it 'wowed' you. that's why i put the time and effort into making those demos. and at any point in time you could/can go to my site and use the contact form there to contact me about any issue you have. if you just don't like the comps i'm making that's totally ok, and you can even say so and that's fine too, but if we don't know if they are even working as they are supposed to, i think any judgement on them would be premature...
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby indelible » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Cupwise wrote:
indelible wrote:Thanks for the reply.I'm not happy because I can't get the ''wow'' factor out of the 2 compressors.I'm pretty sure that all the people opinions is just hype and your compressors are awesome but just right now for whatever reason they don't work for me.
well i've asked you twice now if you have an unmodified xml and you won't tell me. i can't help you if you won't follow that suggestion and make sure you have a fresh xml. or even just tell me if you know for sure that you haven't modified the xml at any point in time. i need to know this, before i can help you any further. that's just how the process works.
indelible wrote:I'm not an audio guru for sure but I can recognize when something is going wrong on the mixbus and it's not related to the compressor settings.
and i'm trying to help you find the problem and you aren't working with me. if you want you can go to my site and use the contact form there so we can try to figure this out via email.
indelible wrote:Tomorrow I'll try the same programs on my Windows laptop.It's more powerful than my iMac.
that won't make any difference if the problem is related to a modified xml and you are using the same setup on windows laptop. maybe the problem isn't the xml, but i need to know that before looking at other possibilities.
indelible wrote:p.S:
what discussion and where in the thread? btw the smooth609, just like the rayphlex and just like this 660 release, also had a free demo that you could check out to see if it 'wowed' you. that's why i put the time and effort into making those demos. and at any point in time you could/can go to my site and use the contact form there to contact me about any issue you have. if you just don't like the comps i'm making that's totally ok, and you can even say so and that's fine too, but if we don't know if they are even working as they are supposed to, i think any judgement on them would be premature...

You have to chill . I'm not accusing you . It's pretty obvious that i modified the xml file.i have the ltimed set to 550000 which is not the default value.So how can i reset the xml without installing nebula again?By the way i was one of the few users who had problems with the smooth 609 demo. nebula crashed on macos.we had a private conversation and you send me some different demos but i had no luck.So i bought the 609 based on what people here sad about it.
indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Cupwise » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:26 pm

indelible wrote:
You have to chill . I'm not accusing you . It's pretty obvious that i modified the xml file.i have the ltimed set to 550000 which is not the default value.So how can i reset the xml without installing nebula again?By the way i was one of the few users who had problems with the smooth 609 demo. nebula crashed on macos.we had a private conversation and you send me some different demos but i had no luck.So i bought the 609 based on what people here sad about it.
heh, i am chill
and i don't see you accusing me of anything and never said you did. i'm just trying to help you figure out if there's a problem with the programs not working as they are supposed to or if they really just aren't for you. i vaguely remember talking to you but i don't remember you ever telling me that the full 609 set just completely crashed any time you loaded it, or was that just the demo? does this demo crash? so you're now saying that you have two separate issues- they sound somehow weird and they crash and won't load?

to get a clean xml, what you could do, is re-install but without deleting your current install. just create a new folder somewhere on your hard drive, and install the vsts to there, then you can go there and get the new xmls, and move them to wherever your neb vsts are actually installed.
do that and see what that does, if anything.

also you said in the other thread where you were asking about reverbs that you increased the buffer and it helped with reverbs, but did it have any affect with comps?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries