Login

Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set - huge V2 update!!!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set

Postby SWANG » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:52 pm

hi tim. 1000 thank yous for updating this awesome collection. question: would you recommend removing the old program and vector files before installing these or simply overwriting the old ones?
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:00 pm

SWANG wrote: question: would you recommend removing the old program and vector files before installing these or simply overwriting the old ones?

There are instructions included (as well as a note from Tim asking us to read them before we ask a bunch of installation questions...lol)
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:57 pm

^whoops. thanks, richie...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Cupwise » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:44 pm

haha yes thank you rich. it's all explained in the update txt, at least i think i got everything relevant in there. but i will say here that you can install these in a way where your old DAW projects that were saved using the old 'creamy 660' versions of any of the programs will still load with those older versions, exactly as they sounded and were set up, when you load that daw project. you won't be able to load a new instance of those old versions though, as the intention of this set is to replace the old versions completely.

how to do that is pretty simple and explained in that included txt with the update but i thought i'd say it here in case anyone has any comments about it.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set - huge V2 update!

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:17 pm

I have read and re-read the manual many times (now and when I first got this), and I still don't quite understand the combos......IS there a way to break it down even simpler? And did you just edit the old manual (There is that part about the 2 thresholds being opposite of what was in the paragraph just before it...)?
They sound awesome though!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby drezz » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:30 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:
drezz wrote:Great news. Downloading now, looking forward to hear it! :D

tell us as fast as you can about the update on how it sounds and behave :)

Well, i had a quick tweak with drums and i have to say, it's just like Tim said..........It's like the old one, but better.

It just sounds good. it has the F**rCh**d thing going on (even though it's sampled from a bit of an esoteric clone/influenced-by unit). Not just the attack release curves, but the tone of it is very nice. I always try for the ringo 'she said, she said' drum compression sound when using a FC type unit on a test, with the whack and the louder cymbals swell thing happening, and it does it in spades.............

I always considered the nebula compressor scene coming of age for the first time and sounding proper when this library arrived on the scene, and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for that sound. It's a keeper........Bravo :)
drezz

Postby Cupwise » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:46 pm

@rich
the thing about the thresholds being swapped was always in there, even in the old set, and it's just saying that the threshold controls in the nebula program are reversed from how they are on the hardware. i mean thresh 1 in the program is the 2nd one on the hardware.

the 'compressor' and 'limiter' programs were sampled, each using one half of what was the first threshold control on the hardware. one side gave something more like a limiter knee and the other side more like a typical compression knee, so i split the samples into two programs, one comp and one limiter.

the combo1 and combo2 programs were additional samplings of the hardware, and each use the full range of the first threshold control, so you can get both the 'limiting' and 'compressing' behavior.

i sampled it 3 different times for the compression, each with different levels of input drive and i believe one of those times there was something else in the hardware chain but i can't remember what it was offhand, just something to provide a bit more boost going into the compressor to 'see what happens'. maybe it was a 1176 or the 33609 or something else. one of those 3 samplings was split into the 'comp' and 'lim' programs, and the other 2 were labelled 'combo1' and 'combo2' just because they included both the comp and limiter sides of that threshold control.

yes its a bit needlessly confusing. the simple answer is that they're all slightly different so just try them all out. i know one of the combo ones for example can actually be set up to provide something like expansion.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Ok thanks....so in YOUR NEBULA version, which threshold is the one that behaves more like a "normal" threshold and which is the "knee"?
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:34 pm

I think I get it now.....Maybe I am under-caffeinated.....
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:43 pm

richie43 wrote:Ok thanks....so in YOUR NEBULA version, which threshold is the one that behaves more like a "normal" threshold and which is the "knee"?

aha! good question! and this is precisely why i swapped which was which.

in my programs the thresh1 is the one that's more like a normal threshold, on the hardware its the 2nd one. i wanted it to be the first one so i swapped them. the 2nd one (on my programs) seems to do something like a combination of adjusting the knee and maybe somehow changing the ratio. but i can't really be certain exactly what all it's doing.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries