Login

Henry Olonga - Spectacular news - Vintage Microphones!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Henry Olonga - Spectacular news - Vintage Microphones!!

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Well as most of you know I am always on the hunt for some interesting products. :D . A few weeks ago I got in touch with Stewart of Xaudia Elektrik after doing some random Googling.
http://www.xaudia.com/xaudia/Home.html

http://xaudiaelektrik.blogspot.co.uk/

I literally spent the whole night until about 4 in the morning going over the whole blog. It is uncomfortable to explain the joy I felt at seeing such an amazing collection in one place. This guy is the world's authority IMHO on Ribbon microphones. He maintains and repairs a spectacular collection of vintage and extinct mics. I knew I had to get in touch with him and enquire about the possibility of coming to his studio and doing some sampling. Apparently he has been asked before by 'others' and wasn't sure about it but being the stubborn so and so that I am I asked him to consider my request after explaining what I do. He has come across as such a wonderful person and was keen to help - we have exchanged a few very cordial e-mails and I am thoroughly impressed by his gentlemanly manner. Now unbeknown to me ,Stewart takes measurements in a DIY anechoic chamber of EVERY mic he has repaired or owns. That is in the region of hundreds of microphones, many rare, some ubher desirable and many just drop dead gorgeous. Check out the blog at that kind of mics that make grown men droooooooooooooool. Well the end result is that he has kindly agreed to provide creative commons licensed Impulse responses over the next few months. I will be Nebularising them by doing some post processing and sending the microphone models through my preamps to create amazing front ends for your audio. Preamps I will use are A*I 512C, GML 2032, N**e 1073, Safe sound P1, S***** *****, Helios and E*I. I reckon the colours we will be able to get will be just astonishing.
Watch this space guys - it's gonna get interesting.
Take care
Henry
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Re: Henry Olonga - Spectacular news - Vintage Microphones!!

Postby Definity » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:39 pm

OOOOOOOOOHHHH, Are you going to sample them in the anechoic chamber? Would this make the sampling more accurate? also are you going to make these into Pro/Elite versions?
Definity

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Hey Definity,
Stewart will provide the impulse responses he has already made in the DIY chamber.The work is already done so to speak. My own samplings were done in a vocal booth but with a short FFT length so room reflections were minimised. But doing it in a booth with almost no reflections is even better. His is closer to a true anechoic room which would be even more accurate but it would require it to be free standing in a much wider space. I have enquired about hiring a true anechoic chamber at a few universities here in the UK. After hearing the price quote - ummm - I had to laugh out loud and consider alternatives. :cry:
I may make PRO and Elite version based on what hardware I can send them through. The more pieces - the more it veers toward being PRO/Elite. Everything I am doing from now on has many layers and is at higher res than stuff done last year - even the cheaper stuff will be really good.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby kels » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Hello Henri,
Do you need a semi-anechoic room (w reflective ground) or a complete anechoic room ? I already own some of your libs (mics and others). About Mics Emulations, I consider them as my first EQ before reaching ... EQ. I had best results while recording with the cleanest mic as possible. Pro/Elite versions of some of those would be great :)
all the best
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby botus99 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Your mic emulations already have allowed me to bring some very... not great mics :lol: out of retirement. $10 Radio Shack mics, Nady's, etc...

The good news just keeps coming from you Henry. What a guy... :mrgreen:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Purple, Navy, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby emilieitor » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:31 am

It´s a great new, Henry, you know my personal opinion about it, I think that the first options might be the most common mics in the recording studios like AKG C414, Shure SM57, ... and after the less habitual mics and the rare pieces. I think that there might be a option in the library without preamp section include, only the mic, for use with other preamps Nebula emulations too. I talked you about the difference distance that you use in some of your mics libraries (5 - 7 - 14/10 - 40 cm), it might be in every condenser mics models, and ribbons mics in some cases. But it´s just my personal opinion.

You know that I have almost all your stuff and sometimes I say you some suggestions about futures Nebula libraries.

I miss libraries in relation to the "pre" of the equalizer <-> compressor (and both together, too) of S*L 4000 E/K and S*L 9000K for use with the mixing consoles libraries of Alessandro Boschi. This library of Cupwise have a preset of the signal just "pass-throught" across the equalizer and compressor of a S*L 9000k, something similar to it:

http://www.cupwise.com/cup/nebula-relea ... et-b-soft/

I said it ´cause your N**e 1073 eq and A*I 550a eq "pre" libraries have saved literally ´cause I can use it with the mixing console libraries of Alessandro for rendering purpose.
emilieitor
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what do we have here.........

Thanks postman

:D

Also in the news,
Henry Olonga releases Ess-M-57

http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product=henry-olonga-mic-locker-sure-ess-m-57
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:51 am

Henry Olonga – Mic Locker Sure Ess-M-57

Out of stock
- See more at: http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product=h ... chGkN.dpuf
:o
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:38 pm

Yup Vicnest - got to fix that one, it still works - was the wrong tones used though. :cry:

Now to probably the fastest turn around Mic I have ever sampled. The house was pretty bombarded by sweep tones Friday.

Henry Olonga releases Mic of Copper :D
If you have ever wanted to get the sound of this lo-fi mic ITB here ya go. Please note that this is part of my New Elite series and requires challenge response activation. That time has come I am afraid to keep this viable for me - but just the Elite series stuff from now on. In other words the best of the best I can offer. The rest of my products won't be affected.

http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product=henry-olonga-mic-locker-mic-copper-nebula-192khz
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby emilieitor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Henry Olonga – Mic Locker Sure Ess-M-57

Thank you Henry!!
emilieitor
User Level X
User Level X

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries