Login

Favorite Nebula 'analogue thickener'...

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Favorite Nebula 'analogue thickener'...

Postby SWAN » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 am

Ive been testing Tim P Treble Bass preset which is quite cool for this - but was wondering what others are finding to add weight and thickness to thinner ITB sounds?

Apex demo seems pretty good and Im considering buying...I find the Pre amp and console programs to be a little too subtle...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Re: Favorite Nebula 'analogue thickener'...

Postby CoolColJ » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:56 am

I like AlexB's TSX Fatso with warm + tranny program for purry bass tones. Plus it has extra drive controls like the rest of the TSX library
check out my audio demos

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/7962745-post15.html

And his MS20 line amp as I mentioned at Gearslutz - in the real MS20, there is a bass boost of sorts, and that's what you hear :P
Should be noticeable from the demo I posted

Maybe a low shelf from the N**e 1073 can add some beef and fuzz, from the EQ and the transformers etc

Seriously consoles should not be subtle - I mean the difference between the Speck Xtramix mixer I had and going direct to my Lynx Hilo was night and day, even if the Xtramix is just a simple line mixer that was supposed to be clean, but it's not it sounds like "tape" :)
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby SWANG » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:51 am

there are some good ones, and you've got me curious about tim p.'s new library. at the moment, i'm loving transcending music's "v-cult"...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SWAN » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:53 am

thanks Col those FTS demos are quite nice...

Swang I never really got into v cult actually...maybe it wasnt for me...I maybe prefer tape and transfo saturation...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:56 am

gotcha. unlike my console/tape/tb+ setup, i'm not using it on every track. but i find it works very well in combination with the tape libraries.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby sneaky » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:48 am

got alex's vintage blue console? thats pretty thick
sneaky

Postby SWAN » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:54 am

it may not be the most extensive test but a regular around here did audio examples of a load of the consoles and to me the difference was so marginal I decided not to bother...also I find Alex B audio demos to be too slight...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 am

Did a Culture Vulture a while back that I think excels in this department. Worth a try - called Buzzard
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby Gemini Audio » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 am

Check out the Gemini Audio G610 it adds a lot of thickeness! You can even go into heavy distortion with it.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:24 am

About consoles,

back in the day Consoles were designed to be transparent/accurate as possible with no coloration and to avoid any crosstalk. When designed well this is true and coloration is subtle.Some consoles do have a coloration but I'm sure at the time they were not trying to achieve that( even then it should be subtle , otherwise something maybe seriously wrong). Although some may argue that N**e did not have to put a transformer at every stage in their early consoles.

Most preamps in nebula can not be run properly because of timing/artifact issues(this is like running a limiter fast you get distortions),this is part of the reason I have not focused to much on doing many sample pres etc. So, does most of the coloration end up coming from this?! I think it's something that should be considered when using this stlyle of preset.basically a pre in nebula will run as fast as a compressor and if you go to fast you will get artifacts. You end up with a much more rounded sound in nebula than the hardware because things are havin to run slower.By the way scs treble bass runs different from the standard way of sampling a pre.

However i will say that missing the mixbus in your daw will have a drastic effect. Also nebula will sound different. One thing we cant do is put nebula post convertor.Try one channel through your daw mix bus to direct out of a single channel of your daw. This is the closest way I can check I'm getting exact results in nebula compared to hardware. Unfortunately it's still pre vs post convertor comparisons....
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries