Login

presets for depth/dimension/separation/3D stereo

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: presets for depth/dimension/separation/3D stereo

Postby swartzfeger » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 pm

yr wrote:I like your first mix better. I think if you cleaned the low and low-mid a bit (maybe 70 & 250hz ?) it's going to sound quite balanced. The second mix sounds more strident and flat to me.

If you want better separation between the instruments, try using less effects on your master bus. I normally have the opposite since I work with material that comes from many sources.

I agree, thank you. I went back and listened thru iTunes, bypassing my UA Apollo. Spent about a half hour and was able to address the 'flat' issue you/I identified.
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby mtalavera » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm

swartzfeger wrote:
yr wrote:I like your first mix better. I think if you cleaned the low and low-mid a bit (maybe 70 & 250hz ?) it's going to sound quite balanced. The second mix sounds more strident and flat to me.

If you want better separation between the instruments, try using less effects on your master bus. I normally have the opposite since I work with material that comes from many sources.

I agree, thank you. I went back and listened thru iTunes, bypassing my UA Apollo. Spent about a half hour and was able to address the 'flat' issue you/I identified.

I too thought the first mix sounded better, more full, but didn't have very much depth and was a slightly bit muddy. I really wanted to like mix B more of course since I am very interested in replacing VCC with something in the Nebula world. I am interested to hear your evolution on this mix as you receive constructive feedback.
mtalavera

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Maybe post the new mixes. I agree that the first mix sounded better.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby swartzfeger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:25 am

We'll, the good news is that after poking around last night, I found two things in equilibrium in the second mix that shouldn't have been there, a high shelf and a 3db 8k peak. So I took those out.

I then tried Henry's Girthy EQ mojo and they were definitely much heavier.

I'll post new ones tonight after work for some feedback.
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby swartzfeger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:34 am

Here's a quick one that I think approaches the weight of the original but opens it up a bit:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2340059/mix-H.mp3

edit... adding the first two links back in for comparison's sake...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2340059/mix-A.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2340059/mix-B.mp3
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby mtalavera » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:24 am

Ok, mix H sounds tremendously improved compared to mix B. What you said you found in the Equilibrium about the high shelf and the peak at 8K makes perfect sense when you go back and listen to mix B.

I think in mix H, though, the volume is slightly lower than mix A. I brought both MP3 files in to Reaper and increased the gain on mix-H by 2.30 to get them equivalent in volume. When I did that, to me mix H sounds wider than A. There are quite a few differences I could write about.

Now I'm starting to hear the weight that is being introduced in mix H compared to mix A. I also think the bass sits in the mix much better in mix H. The bass really stands out in mix A more.

I think mix H could use a bit of EQ with the mids, but that maybe just to my tastes.
mtalavera

Postby swartzfeger » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:24 am

mtalavera, thanks for the feedback. I'd like to read what you heard (good or bad), and your thoughts on eqing the mids too. I hear things, but being inexperienced I don't have the 'vocabulary' necessary to put things into words or actions.

After being impressed with Henry's Girthy master EQ, I went and bought his Girthy filters and used those in some spots. After using those, I went and bought three other Girthy libraries... I was really impressed with using them.
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby mtalavera » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:29 pm

There are definitely different ways to go about filling in some of the middle, and I
swartzfeger wrote:mtalavera, thanks for the feedback. I'd like to read what you heard (good or bad), and your thoughts on eqing the mids too. I hear things, but being inexperienced I don't have the 'vocabulary' necessary to put things into words or actions.

After being impressed with Henry's Girthy master EQ, I went and bought his Girthy filters and used those in some spots. After using those, I went and bought three other Girthy libraries... I was really impressed with using them.

There are definitely different ways to approach EQ, and Nebula has made me really think about what I want to achieve instead of what I was doing before Nebula, which is just putting one of my EQ plugins on a track without really knowing what I was trying to achieve. I think that is one of the major benefits for me with Nebula in that I really have to concentrate on the overall process and think ahead as to what I want the final mix to sound like. I have only been using for three months, but it has transformed by workflow and overall sonic character of my mixes all for the better. For specific EQ tips to try, I'd start either with a mid band EQ, somewhere in the 400 to 1000 range, and just boost gently to start, by 2db increments. Also you can try a high shelf cut to see what that does. It is really going to depend on where you want to take the song, so hard to give specific feedback.

What you may want to try next is putting a tape library on every track, and one your mix bus. There are a new free ones that come in the Acustica libraries you get when you purchase the product. Also, check out the thread in this 3rd party forum for YR Free Presets. There are some tape libraries in there as well. Your mix can really benefit from adding a tape library to each of your tracks and mix bus.
mtalavera

Postby cehas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:05 pm

Well, I can tell on the fly that the VCC mixes has way more bottom. It also has more of that digital dullness and that's where Nebula triumphs.

OTT, one of my first cures of that "digital dullness" would be a combination of console -> tube EQ -> compressor -> tape.

The Slate stuff is totally kickass, I'd probably use the VCC, VTM and VBC if I owned them.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries