Login

presets for depth/dimension/separation/3D stereo

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

presets for depth/dimension/separation/3D stereo

Postby swartzfeger » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:31 am

Hi gang,

I'm looking for suggestions for presets that can tackle the 'flatness' of recording digitally (I track guitar and bass thru my UA Apollo; sometimes straight into the hi-z, sometimes thru my Sansamp Para Driver DI). I'm getting much better at mixing, but my work still sounds somewhat 'flat', in the sense of lacking dimension or space. Some of the sound stage (or lack of) can be attributed to the interface, of course

I learned many months back that a lot of algo comps can flatten what little dimension my recordings have. Native algo comps have gotten better, and messing with M/S seems to help sometimes (although I admit I know very, very little about M/S compression and probably harm the sound as often as I help it).

One thing I noticed is that I started using Slate VCC in my mixes I heard a slight dimensional effect, probably due to crosstalk?

What presets should I begin looking at to improve the 'dimensional' aspect of my mixes? I mic very little (the occasional acoustic guitar, perhaps), so my options may be limited. I'm fairly well versed in auxing reverbs... any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Re: presets for depth/dimension/separation/3D stereo

Postby Henry Olonga » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Hmmmmm. . .where do we start. Anything Nebula will probably help in depth , dimension etc. . .but I am biased. The other side of the fence feels like another life to me, I sometimes try to produce flat sounding music with Nebula and cannot he he he.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:51 pm

I guess using a different preset on each track would be a good way to start. I think a lot of reason slates stuff does create separation is that every channel Is slightly different.....

I know that Alexb's console sampling has multiple inputs in each pack. sounding slightly different on every input. If I do a console I will do this the same way...

I would say try buying several presets and try to find a balance that sounds good, changing the presets around on different instruments, sometimes you get a combination that will work like magic when initially you thought it would not work. I have this when I'm recording, using several types of preamps, A*I N**e , clean stuff , cheap stuff... Anything that works ;-). I'm not allways worried about using what is considered to be high end!! As long as its organic. i spend about 30mins finding a good combonation to print.

On a side note.
I think listening to the mix as whole is the best approach to get good separation and to avoid a over processed sound.
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:54 pm

I have posted this before, but it's time again.....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uETgQQXxzCI
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby swartzfeger » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks richie, I will watch tonight! (EDIT: just watched -- hilarious!)

And I by no means wanted to come off as expecting Nebula to be a magic plugin to instantly give dimension to a poor mix. I like to work, and experiment, and I'm really excited to experiment with different presets and techniques.

And Tim P., I'm excited to try out your EQs (and the Treble and Bass too, can't wait to pair that up with some ownhammer cabs)
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby DavidMeShow » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Hahaha :lol: I don't think the video is gonna help you my friend ! :roll:
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby sneaky » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:21 pm

stuff I reckon improves mix depth when used on individual tracks.. either individually or in combination with other plugs, no particular order
Henry Olonga – MPassive Mojo High THD Upgrade STEREO 192 khz

Henry Olonga – Chiswick R Mojo STEREO 192 khz

signaltonoize/rhythminmind A-American/N-British Gain Stage A/N Stages : A-American
signaltonoize/rhythminmind A-American/N-British Gain Stage A/N Stages : N-British

CDSoundMaster/MangelArts VTM-M2. probably the tride-n-tru console too

Alexb GMC German Mastering Console
sneaky

Postby mightymosaic » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:52 am

CdSoundMaster MEQ 5 Will add all of the above to any track especially Bus's and the master fader. Pretty much any of Alex B's Consoles, in particular the mix bus presets add an amazing 3d image .
mightymosaic

Postby rugunation » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:25 am

richie43 wrote:I have posted this before, but it's time again.....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uETgQQXxzCI

This is one of the funniest shit I have ever seen/heard. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Music is a mission not a competition" -Rugu Nation

https://www.facebook.com/rugunation
http://rugunation.com
rugunation
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:04 am

I was not pointing that video AT anyone, it is just hilarious and I wanted an excuse to share it. :D
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries