Login

NEW SCS release 2 color boost pedal!!! 9/9/2014

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NEW SCS release 2 color boost pedal!!! 9/9/2014

Postby richie43 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:39 am

Any distortion from this pedal is from the amp getting hit harder. If you were to use this as a "di" sort of pedal, you would want to back off on the volume knob of the pedal as you increase either of the boosts...It really boosts the signal as frequencies are boosted. So the distortion in the YouTube samples are the amp getting saturated bu the hotter signal.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:40 am

For the record, I have never had this specific pedal, but have had a few similar. This preset is really awesome, by the way. The high end boost is really something!!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mtalavera » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:18 am

richie43 wrote:Any distortion from this pedal is from the amp getting hit harder. If you were to use this as a "di" sort of pedal, you would want to back off on the volume knob of the pedal as you increase either of the boosts...It really boosts the signal as frequencies are boosted. So the distortion in the YouTube samples are the amp getting saturated bu the hotter signal.

I haven't used any effects pedals in I don't know how long for my guitar, so I may not understand how this particular one works. In this video, the guy turns it off and the signal is clean, then turns it on and the sound is distorted, so I thought it was coming from the pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37TWK0d0K5o
mtalavera

Postby richie43 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:08 am

If you look closely at the output (or volume) knob, it is up very high. This is a huge level boost that will drive the amp into overdrive. Boost pedals typically don't distort themselves, they boot the input gain and drive the amp hotter. If you want a pedal to do the actual distorting, usually they will be called a distortion or overdrive pedal.
I am not saying that you are wrong, but like I said, I have had pedals like the Colorsound, and they do not distort themselves, they push the amp to overdrive.
Example:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=996671
This library is all about the tonal boosts and color.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:13 am

I should add.... the distortion IS caused by the pedal in the video, it's just not coming from the pedal. When he turns the pedal on, it's boost is so high that the preamps of the amp are pushed into distortion. There is a section of the video (or maybe a different one, I looked at many) that the volume is turned all the way down... the tone gets very clean again.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mtalavera » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:47 am

Thank you Tim and Richie for the discussion. I really loved that distortion sound in the YouTube video. I haven't found anything I like as much as my Fender Twin distortion channel in the digital realm yet, but the distortion in that video was very close. I had never heard of this pedal brand before, so I went hunting for examples.

I'll be buying this and the new 100a tomorrow.
mtalavera

Postby ianc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:18 am

thanks tim love your pedals, going to go and grab it now
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Postby kindafishy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:15 am

Tim, I couldn't find this information anywhere else...

In the Treble and Bass programs, there are HQ and HQ_3D programs. What is the difference?

Thanks!
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:17 am

Hq are using timed kernals only....

Basically high quality.

I'd only use these for rendering. Experiment and see what you prefer. 3d versions are setup slightly different.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby mtalavera » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 am

kindafishy wrote:Tim, I couldn't find this information anywhere else...

In the Treble and Bass programs, there are HQ and HQ_3D programs. What is the difference?

Thanks!

Tim Petherick wrote:Hq are using timed kernals only....

Basically high quality.

I'd only use these for rendering. Experiment and see what you prefer. 3d versions are setup slightly different.

I had wondered this myself and have just been using the 3D ones, never taking the time yet to try and determine the difference between the two.

Tim, can you elaborate on what is the slight difference in setup between the two?
mtalavera

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries