Login

NEW LA-2A Preamp Collection from CDS !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NEW LA-2A Preamp Collection from CDS !!!

Postby RJHollins » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 pm

Bought this LA-2A library the other nite.

I combined this with the IK 'White' from my Rack version.

Just did some quick test and listening ...

What a difference :o I can finally use the IK-White.
More testing/listening to do.

Couple things ... The IK, beside it compressor/limiter function, adds a bit of its 'color' to the equation. I'd like to find a comp/lim that responded like the LA, but clean/transparent. Any suggestions.

2. Hope we can get the manual and graphs into a PDF format. Much more convenient/useful than HTML.

... and Great job on this library !!

Thanks Michael :D
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby maniak » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:13 am

maniak
User Level X
User Level X

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:12 am

Hi RJ,
I think you will find the gain programs follow the IK nicely but personally I like the comp programs in comp mode and lim+lim. IK user feedback has been good. But, if you are needing less of its attempts, I understand. The thing that works so nice with the original UAD LA2A is that they did some nice emulating but it remains consistent at all settings, so the dynamics and real harmonics that it was lacking are the perfect match for having the real thing in NebPro. If there is a cleaner... meaning actually less realistic regarding changes in spectrum and harmonics, but better for compression and limiting, that would be nice to seek out as well. I really liked some of the early PSP settings- like pre-vintage warmer, they had a nice combo-compressor program that had a great J*****k SC2 and some other decent things. Also, the McDSP was a decent effort. If they didn't discontinue the Liquidmix in trade for the new interface line, you'd be pleased with the results of the LA2 in the Liquidmix as well, but not until the NebPro LA2A is following it :-0

RJHollins wrote:Bought this LA-2A library the other nite.

I combined this with the IK 'White' from my Rack version.

Just did some quick test and listening ...

What a difference :o I can finally use the IK-White.
More testing/listening to do.

Couple things ... The IK, beside it compressor/limiter function, adds a bit of its 'color' to the equation. I'd like to find a comp/lim that responded like the LA, but clean/transparent. Any suggestions.

2. Hope we can get the manual and graphs into a PDF format. Much more convenient/useful than HTML.

... and Great job on this library !!

Thanks Michael :D
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:17 am

Thanks again for overview Michael.

Now that I have your LA library, I've had some time to work it with the IK 'White'. It's actually not a bad combination ... especially when the LA library follows.

I've been using the Limiter flavor for a particular project... another one of those 'Restoration Mastering' challenges. Originally recorded 'live' [in MONO] to cassette, and then transferred to compressed MP3 [low bit rate] :shock:

I've basically performed 'digital reconstruction' with a slew of tools. It is much more listen-able, but due to in-balances in the mix, I was not satisfied with the vocal level compared to hi-hat and ride bell.
The overall freq response also rolled off heavy above 9 - 10k.

After much twisting and bending I was able to open up the mix, but the cymbals needed a better balance.

Believe it or not [and not my first choice usually], I went to the LA-2 combination. This may well be the magic I needed :o I'm doing some comparisons between the 'stock' version and a TIMED variation. There is a subtle, but noticeable change in the 'forward-ness' and the upper midrange area. On 4 out of the 5 tracks, the TIMED version works very well. There is one track that the 'normal' engine keeps that upper mid-range more open or separated [tough to describe].

I have a few other algo compressors that I might check out [PSP, Klanghelm, Waves] with this LA preamp.
The IK is not performing badly, I'm hitting 1 to 2 dB on the limiter just to ease the dynamics a bit.

Anyway, the main point ... as with most algo stuff, it worked [or did what its supposed to do, but it was like ... yeah, OK :roll:

This LA-2A preamp library has brought this IK White to life :D I still need to check out the 'GAIN' presets you mentioned. I'm not certain exactly the 'if,when,& how' this applies.

At the current 'working level', I'm Peaking at -6dB [f/s].
Obviously, once critical processing is done, I'll want to raise to nominal levels before bit reduction to CD format.

I'm glad I purchased this library. I hesitated since I have so many preamp libs already, but this LA is such a essential tool, I'm glad I did [and hopefully my clients :lol: ].
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby FrankydT » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:25 am

A clean compressor with LA-2A behavior (in reality pretty much everything) is DMG Compassion.
I find it very good coupled with Nebula, like Equilibrium
The SKnote one in StripBus is good but coloured
The Klanghelm is very good too
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby mathias » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:28 am

i can warmly recommend the PSP Mixpressor2 from their Mixpack (it comes only with the whole pack, which has some other great tools also).

for me this is one of the really underrated algo comps. never saw any reviews, that really described it. there are some presets in it, that aim for the classic hardware, so you are ready to go with emulating these together with nebula.

i come back to it very often and are always pleased with the results.

best,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:09 am

I'm so glad to hear about the process working and yes, the more you experiment with it the more your ears will recognize that wonderful texture it is adding. Subtle doesn't mean uninteresting, it just usually means our brains pick up on its first and for me it usually takes specific context before I am certain. That's why I always love testing the process with real music more than test tones.

As far as the "gain" programs- it is a different approach to using the specific "comp" for compression and "limit" for limiting. These work well on their own with the same modes emu, but I found that adding the 'no-compression' signal chain of the 'gain' program after the choice of comp or limit works beautifully especially if using larger amounts of comp or limit from the emu. It drives the harmonics a little more at the tube and transformer stages as opposed to the comp and limit programs which engage the opto-cell in the 2 modes. You can use 'gain' on its own just for color if not compressing.

RJHollins wrote:Thanks again for overview Michael.

Now that I have your LA library, I've had some time to work it with the IK 'White'. It's actually not a bad combination ... especially when the LA library follows.

I've been using the Limiter flavor for a particular project... another one of those 'Restoration Mastering' challenges. Originally recorded 'live' [in MONO] to cassette, and then transferred to compressed MP3 [low bit rate] :shock:

I've basically performed 'digital reconstruction' with a slew of tools. It is much more listen-able, but due to in-balances in the mix, I was not satisfied with the vocal level compared to hi-hat and ride bell.
The overall freq response also rolled off heavy above 9 - 10k.

After much twisting and bending I was able to open up the mix, but the cymbals needed a better balance.

Believe it or not [and not my first choice usually], I went to the LA-2 combination. This may well be the magic I needed :o I'm doing some comparisons between the 'stock' version and a TIMED variation. There is a subtle, but noticeable change in the 'forward-ness' and the upper midrange area. On 4 out of the 5 tracks, the TIMED version works very well. There is one track that the 'normal' engine keeps that upper mid-range more open or separated [tough to describe].

I have a few other algo compressors that I might check out [PSP, Klanghelm, Waves] with this LA preamp.
The IK is not performing badly, I'm hitting 1 to 2 dB on the limiter just to ease the dynamics a bit.

Anyway, the main point ... as with most algo stuff, it worked [or did what its supposed to do, but it was like ... yeah, OK :roll:

This LA-2A preamp library has brought this IK White to life :D I still need to check out the 'GAIN' presets you mentioned. I'm not certain exactly the 'if,when,& how' this applies.

At the current 'working level', I'm Peaking at -6dB [f/s].
Obviously, once critical processing is done, I'll want to raise to nominal levels before bit reduction to CD format.

I'm glad I purchased this library. I hesitated since I have so many preamp libs already, but this LA is such a essential tool, I'm glad I did [and hopefully my clients :lol: ].
8-)
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:13 am

I'm so happy hearing from someone else that recognizes what a nice thing they created with the mixpressor- its own wonderful thing and in some ways they have a snap and dimension I prefer to some of the characteristics of the hardware- similar to the SC2 but nicer in some ways.

I like the original PSP stuff a lot and yes, adding in the real vibe of the real hardware harmonics is just fantastic! Thank you Nebula Pro! :-)

Something else important and classic coming very soon as long as final testing goes well! :-)

mathias wrote:i can warmly recommend the PSP Mixpressor2 from their Mixpack (it comes only with the whole pack, which has some other great tools also).

for me this is one of the really underrated algo comps. never saw any reviews, that really described it. there are some presets in it, that aim for the classic hardware, so you are ready to go with emulating these together with nebula.

i come back to it very often and are always pleased with the results.

best,
mathias
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:39 am

More playing with this library ...

It has been a long time, but I pulled up the Waves CLA-2A plugin. Bought these back in the daze before I locked into NEBULA. :o

I was quite disappointed using the CLA-2A. It just never played like a LA-2A for me ... and sonically, well, it was tough to tell since I could not relate to the way it responded ... nonetheless ... pull the CLA in front of this LA-2A library.

Still don't like the CLA-2A :shock:

oh well.

Now the mention of PSP. They might be a small company, and not always mentioned, but I liked [or found useful] several of their plugs. I did get the Mix pack [long time ago], and I remember the Mix-pressor. I'll have to give this a listen with this library. I should also check to see if there has been an updated version from the one I have. When I used PSP, it was sometimes their 'OldTimer' compressor which was decent.

Actually, this combination of Algos and Nebula is having me re-evaluate the old plug-ins.

I'm working on a project at the moment [that needs a lot of help], and the moment I by-pass the Nebula portion, the track loses its musical essence. It turns back to that lifeless, 1 dimension sound. I was just 'rudely' reminded of this again tonite :shock:

Oh, and the CLA with the 50 or 60HZ hum option ... yeah ... at least they made it optional :lol:

OK ... off to check out the PSP plug.

Thanks Guys!

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby FrankydT » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:17 pm

PSP Oldtimer is a very, very good one.
One of the best around even today. It has been updated to 2.0 and now it has a Mastering version.
I also own the MixPack, MasterComp and Vintage Warmer
All of them are top notch
Try Mixpressor it should do the trick
Compassion does everything but it's quite complicated (like Solera or more)
It's other weak point is the limiter but for everything else...
And with its mods...
I own so many compressors that sometimes I feel lost sometimes
I should put away someone from my Mac
Arrgh! Which Ones? :D
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries