Login

NEW LA-2A Preamp Collection from CDS !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

NEW LA-2A Preamp Collection from CDS !!!

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:25 am

We are pleased to announce:
"LA-2A Preamp Collection For Nebula Pro" !!!!!!!!!

This collection provides you with the color, tone, and sonic character of the electronics signal chain of the UA Classics Teletronix LA-2A. Use these programs after your choice of LA-2A software compressor/limiter to bring the true, authentic hardware character to your tracks.

Available Now !!!

From now through Wednesday, September 25, 2013, we are offering
"LA-2A Preamp Collection For Nebula Pro" for only $29 !!!

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/CDS-Softw ... A-Neb.html

Thanks so much and God Bless You.
Sincerely,
Michael
CDS
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: NEW LA-2A Preamp Collection from CDS !!!

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:30 am

LA-2A Graphs:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/CDS-Softw ... raphs.html
LA-2A Manual:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/CDS-Softw ... anual.html
My blog article on 'Making Compressors More Realistic'-
My concept that goes back to the first days of NebPro and remains true today- using NebPro in the chain with algo-based emulation continues to be the closest thing to real hardware compression:
http://blog.clubvst.com/2013/09/14/maki ... istic.aspx
Specific to the LA-2A with a few comparitive graphs:
http://blog.clubvst.com/2013/09/16/maki ... ifier.aspx
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:57 am

Regarding something specific that is touched on in the blog...
The new releases from UA for the UAD-2 as opposed to UAD-1- The short answer is yes, absolutely, affirmative... yes using NebPro in the chain is just as significant if not moreso, with newer UA programs that 'include the entire signal chain of the hardware.'

Let me take the position as a Mastering Engineer, Mixing Engineer, Composer, and general plug-in user, and not as a software developer, for a moment. One thing I think people know about me over the years is that I don't mind saying good things about other companies that do things well. I also don't mind helping people make good software purchase choices from other companies if it makes for their most well-rounded experience. The fact is, that NebPro is a small niche community that has also been at the front of the technology curve since 2005. Although this version of the site dates back to 2009, I started releasing the first Commercial 3rd Party Libraries in 2007. What works great with NebPro just continues to be consistently "analog" and the features that improve mostly center around improved performance and tweaks for wider ranges of systems.

Something like a Pultec EQ or an LA-2A Leveling Amplifier becomes a true vintage classic over the years by consistently doing something right that sounds great to our ears, and not changing. That is what we have with staples like UAD and NebPro.

A short history lesson- UAD was first hired by Mackie to develop software run with a graphics card. They developed the Pultec and LA-2A for Mackie, and then moved forward with the Putnam legacy by making them for themselves. They always used the best practice in emulation algorithms by building virtual schematics based on studies with the real hardware. They worked within the confines of the amount of processing on the card. As of UAD-2, they have expanded the number of variables and parameters that go into making the process work since more memory is available. But, it is also important to consider that in this decade of their growth, Sintefex went from $4000 to a patent purchase from F*******e, and NebPro became the first real analog hardware sampler. You can buy the indentical process of the $4000 Sintefex used from the now discontinued Liquidmix 32 or 16 for a few hundred dollars. The drop in their price would be the only reason that people, including other Mastering Engineers, pretend they never said that it was the only thing that sounded identical before NebPro. You can see where this is leading.

Before NebPro and the Retro Analog Studio Suite signal chain concept, there were barely any other plug-ins competing in emulations of real hardware. In fact, you can go back 5 years to the Waves S*L and then the E*I etc. You will see that our little nich community here has really pushed the industry forward in the popularity of more tape machines, and UAD has done well with their marketing and technology to continue to push to the head of the class. Have they improved their products? Well, they have added more memory requirements and added more devices, but they did a pretty good job of adequately nailing the basic procedure, but there is still something lacking. I personally recommend UAD and a used Liquidmix, Voxengo, IK, and many others as things to listen to for what sounds best for compressor/limiter needs. But, at the end of the day, they are all different processes. What they do not have is Nebula Pro.

What Giancarlo has done here for us over the years builds the groundwork for the most realistic eq's, preamps, tones, channels, tubes, tapes, and in certain carefully edited processes, compressors, and the reverb is pretty amazing as well! :-)

Adding the memory chunk, live-streaming, multiple layers of dynamic spectral and harmonic distortion kernels to your new and old UAD-2 LA-2A choices absolutely gets you one step closer to the real thing.

Read my blog and you will also see that in some cases, I prefer the shortcomings of the original UAD-1 LA-2A with the NebPro following than what the real compressor does with the same settings. I like to push some tests too hard, and frankly I find the UAD-1 LA-2A with NebPro following very pleasant for mild drum compressing even though we are told to use it more for voice, guitar, and piano. I find that this is definitely true with the hardware- The UAD1 LA-2A sounds prettier on drums with NebPro emulating the hardware in the chain than trying to use the heavy comp. mode of the hardware. But, when it comes to the expected applications like piano, voice, guitar, you can hear a consistent believable comparison that improves with NebPro in the chain.

I am continuing to develop instrument-based Nebula Pro compressor collections and I'm also continuing the algo-based process I developed for the VTM-M2 for other items we hope to release in the future. The benefits of NebPro preamp-type programs, editing its engine where it can shine, and using it in the chain with other software, makes for "the best analog environment that digital can provide!" :-)
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:57 am

Michael, you are really doing this Nebula thing right. I am stunned with this new library. I have been using this with a lesser La2a plugin (I don't have UAD, but the IK and the Cakewalk both do a pretty good job... for what they are!), and combined with your presets, it is truly amazing. Nebula in general has totally liberated me as an artist and engineer, allowing me to enjoy the power and flexibilities of Digital audio and not compromise audio quality like I feel I was before I found Nebula. This new library is a huge leap for my ears, thanks!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:56 am

What day is 18 Sept?
So many good releases at once.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:51 am

OK ... couple questions or clarification please :)

With all the referencing to UAD [of which I don't have], please clarify that this new collection is indeed hardware that has been sampled. and that the UAD is providing the [suggested] algo treatment.

I do have 1 or 2 LA's or the algo type ... which were ok [spoiled by LA's standard issue in the studios :roll: :lol: ]

So this B the real deal ? Combining this with my algo LA will bring back the smile :o

Next ... we all must be watching the Nebula update threads. As of yet, I'm not seeing the 'ok, get updated now ... all's good'. This is not a good time to be messin' with my Nebula with an update :shock:
So ... what version [Server] to we need for this library ?

I know CDS makes impeccable libraries, and if this is the real deal, I would like to [at least] reserve a purchase if we must first upgrade Nebula.

Apologies if I sound 'questionable', but I [respectfully] ask clarification.
thanks!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:47 am

Hi RJ,

This is the real Hardware.
The reference to UAD is in response to direct questions I have received.
This release is the "UA Classics LA-2A Leveling Amplifier" Hardware Unit.
My recommendation for use:
Choose your software emulator.
If in Compressor mode, use the CDS Compressor LA-2A Preamp program directly after your algo, followed by a "Gain" CDS LA-2A program.
If using your algo in Limiter mode, follow the same as above with the CDS LA-2A Limiter program.
You do not have to use the "Gain" program in this chain if you do not wish to, but it gives the most realistic results.
Regarding Nebula version/update, this collection is tested and working with version 1.3.505.
It does not require a Nebula update or upgrade and should work with earlier versions as well.
I think your ears will be very pleased :).

RJHollins wrote:OK ... couple questions or clarification please :)

With all the referencing to UAD [of which I don't have], please clarify that this new collection is indeed hardware that has been sampled. and that the UAD is providing the [suggested] algo treatment.

I do have 1 or 2 LA's or the algo type ... which were ok [spoiled by LA's standard issue in the studios :roll: :lol: ]

So this B the real deal ? Combining this with my algo LA will bring back the smile :o

Next ... we all must be watching the Nebula update threads. As of yet, I'm not seeing the 'ok, get updated now ... all's good'. This is not a good time to be messin' with my Nebula with an update :shock:
So ... what version [Server] to we need for this library ?

I know CDS makes impeccable libraries, and if this is the real deal, I would like to [at least] reserve a purchase if we must first upgrade Nebula.

Apologies if I sound 'questionable', but I [respectfully] ask clarification.
thanks!
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SpliffSplaff » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:38 pm

Hey Michael...

this sounds all very nice...ill be shurely purchasing this one. Are you planning more of these?...C******r stuff :P??.
SpliffSplaff
User Level III
User Level III

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:11 am

Hi there! :-)
Yes, there are others in the plans as long as the details and testing go as well as the LA-2A.
I haven't decided anything specifically on the C******r, but there are 3 in particular that I plan to work with right away. I just completed the most exhausting EQ session ever! :-)

SpliffSplaff wrote:Hey Michael...

this sounds all very nice...ill be shurely purchasing this one. Are you planning more of these?...C******r stuff :P??.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby greekpeet » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:10 pm

I underestimated how using a specific pre-amp BEFORE you apply the relative algo compressor is to really put a sound in its musical pocket.

Do not own the UAD version (but have used it in other studios), and love the IK stuff for what it is.

I like the compressor 7K - med to start things off prior to pushing the IK LA comp ~6db of GR. When I first got into this technique I'd compress first, then put the preamp as an afterthought.

Well, the harmonics genuinely do affect how the compressor reacts.

Rhythmminds LA is solid for this application, but not as versatile.

Any IK users that own the comp bundle should pick not only this up, but the Stripe76 (for the 1176), and the 4K (for the Opto comp).

Also as a wildcard putting almost any sampled Neb compressor with the Ableton stock comp makes it much more musical IMO.

Great release Michael!

ps - cudos to Henry for initially mentioning this technique at the purple place a while back.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries