Login

Cupwise Release- Custom Plate, Demo programs up!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Cupwise Release- Custom Plate, Demo programs up!

Postby Cupwise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:14 am

Just put a new reverb set up. It's made from a tube amp driven custom plate reverb. I think it's pretty unique in the nebula world but I already have the list of reasons on the site so I won't go over them again here. There are some audio demos up, but there isn't a free program demo yet. I'm pretty sure there will be one though and it should be up within a few days.

Anyway, check it out.
Last edited by Cupwise on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise Release- Custom Plate

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:21 am

Nice to see another plate reverb being released!
Checking it out soon.
dpclarkson

Postby richie43 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:47 pm

I just emailed you Tim. The first audio clip needs to be relabeled, if you could......
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 am

sorry rich
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:34 am

Cupwise wrote:sorry rich

lol...No worries.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:08 am

update about the demo program. it's kind of hard to give a demo for this because there are only 2 effects. but each one is more like several effects in one because of the sampled damper control. so the problem is what do i give away that demonstrates what really sets this reverb apart from others, without giving away too much? at first i thought about just giving away one position of the damper control, with full dynamics but with limited kernel count, and maybe with the length trimmed down also.

but then you can't hear what the damper control does. another thing is the length control i included. i want that in the demo also, but having that is again a case of maybe giving away too much.

so i finally decided that since the controls are maybe the main thing to demo here since they are what really makes these programs different from others, i would strip out the dynamics and the harmonics, and leave both the damper and length control fully functional (except that i might trim a little bit off of the full length possible too). so the reverb itself would mostly remain intact and so would the controls, and people could see how nice it is to have those controls right there instead of being stuck with a fixed reverb effect that you can't adjust in any way. but without the harmonics and dynamics (which are a huge part of what sets nebula apart from standard convolution), you'd be left with a nice sounding reverb but not the full quality that nebula can provide.

the problem is that i accidentally deleted my source work on the programs for the full set which i need to make the demo. giancarlo can 'decrypt' the programs from the full set and hook me up with those sources, but he's busy and away somewhere with a not so good internet connection at the moment so it will be a while before i have the demo up. maybe a week or two. in the meantime i'll be working on other things as always, but when the demo for this is up i'll post here.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Hey Tim. Ouch, for that deleting files! If you haven't done a ton of writing to the disc that those files were deleted from, it is very likely that you can still retrieve them with one of many free file recovery tools. Recuva from Piniform has saved my butt a few times. Just sayin'......
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:04 pm

ok i just uploaded the demo programs. anyone who has any interest in nebula reverbs should grab this free demo, because it's definitely a useable thing on it's own. they will work with a free nebula.

these demo programs show off the programs pretty good, because like i said, i kept the controls intact. i've removed all dynamics, and all harmonics, so obviously the full version sounds much fuller and deeper. the demo program is basically the same type of quality you get with standard convolution so it's still good. plus you have the sampled damper control and can see what that does. the full versions definitely sound better, but the demo still sounds great.

another thing is that the demo programs (there is a 44.1k and 96k version in the same zip), are only for the 1st effect. there's another one that's made by collapsing the stereo channels (as i explain at the site).

anyway here is a link directly to the demo zip.

i am putting a couple of more audio demos with a higher mix level in a bit, too. should be up within the hour.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise Release- Custom Plate, Demo programs up!

Postby thepalalias » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:02 am

I'm including mention of this library in the Nebula Review I'm putting up at http://www.SoundBytesMag.net later this month but I just wanted to throw a couple things out there ahead of time.

- This is not just the best plate release for Nebula since VNXT's EMT140 one, it's also a completely different sound.

- The included controls make it possible to dynamically control the tail length while you're playing - you can even automate it. There are also acoustic damping and feedback controls.

- Alongside VNXT's EMT, this one of the best plate sounds you'll ever get without using actual physical plate that I've ever encountered anywhere: either software or hardware box.

Basically, if you like plate sounds, get this now.

I've got a session I'm doing for Joanna St. Claire that's using this alongside VNXT's EMT and the combination works brilliantly and the Cupwise Custom Plate is making up the majority of the blend.
thepalalias
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Cupwise Release- Custom Plate, Demo programs up!

Postby thepalalias » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:05 am

Also, in case anyone skips the manual (which you shouldn't) here are a couple generalized reverb configs that I had to learn before using reverb libraries in Nebula while writing the review. Tim, feel free to correct anything that I mention that should be different for this library specifically.

I just wanted to include them here because if you load Nebula without trying to tweak the settings, you are in for a rough ride. :)

NEBULA REVERB SETTINGS

1) Use Nebula Reverb as opposed to normal Nebula (obvious to most but mentioned to be safe).

2) To get proper reverb performance in Nebula you have to change to change a couple settings.

- Load up an empty Nebula instance.
- Go to the MAST page,
- Switch to GURU MODE.
- You'll see an LFREQD parameter. This is the maximum length your reverb tail can be chances are it's wrong (the free EMT program from VNXT is 2.5 seconds for instance). We'll get to that shortly. Smile
- In the lower right hand corner, check your DSPBUFFER value.
- Hit the SAVE.

The DSPBUFFER is the single most important setting in regards to CPU performance but it also affects latency (which shouldn't be much of an issue when mixing in a host with PDC). Most systems have a sweet spot and going higher than that does not improve performance - so try increasing it one increment at a time. On my system reverb's require 1024 to 8192 DPSBUFFER settings depending on the samplerate and complexity. I've gotten in the habit of leaving it at 8192.

Now back to that LFREQD value. For some reason, Nebula doesn't let you internally tweak that to be high enough, so you'll have to do this manually.

- Locate the folder containing your Nebula Reverb plug-in.
- Open the XML file with the same name is your Nebula Reverb plug-in.
- Find the "<LFRED> </LFREQD>" section and replace it with "<LFREQD> 6000000 </LFREQD>
- Save the XML file.

Now you can support the full length of the reverbs available for Nebula so far. If you open up Nebula now, you should be able to see the correct LFREQD value on the MAST page in GURU MODE - just don't try to modify it in Nebula.
thepalalias
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to 3rd party libraries