Login

SUPPORT THE DEVS!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

SUPPORT THE DEVS!!

Postby richie43 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:00 pm

This is in response to AITB's decision to get out of the Nebula development. This post is also in another thread, but because I am so enthusiastic about Nebula, I wanted to make a separate thread about the larger topic of this community doing whatever they can to keep Nebula moving forward. I apologize to the website admins for the duplicate posts, hopefully I haven't broken some forum commandment..... :shock:

As Nebula users, we are sort of part of a weird elite audio-geek club and have the opportunity to be using a very forward-thinking tool in the world of digital audio. ITB mixing has never been as exciting for me and every time I fire up my DAW I am so pumped about the options that I have, and all in the box! How cool is this?

AITB was one of the "grandpa's" of developers for the platform, and have always delivered some of the coolest libraries at an amazing price. Now they've decided to stop, which is sad for many of us, but they made this decision for many great reasons. Nebula development is not a "get wealthy" way of working, I am surprised there are even as many as there are. So as we say thanks and farewell to AITB, it's even more important to support the existing devs, and even go check out some available libraries from a few devs that have already stopped but still have libraries for sale (TranscendingMusic comes to mind- AWESOME stuff, he stopped a while ago because of the glut of products and poor sales. Bob's libraries are far too under-rated!!). But also remember some of the other "old-timer" developers that are still around (CDSM, AlexB, OwnHammer, Signaltonoize,RoomHunters, VNXT),and may have considered the same options of quitting....

Also, go visit the websites of these newer devs and look at what they have done for this community and what products they have (no order of preference- these are all awesome!!)
Cupwise, Tim Petherick, Gemini Audio, Gene Lennon, Henry Olonga, and all of the just-starting-out devs that offer libraries for free. (If I forgot anyone, I deeply apologize, I am seriously sleep-deprived right now and am not in my right mind....)

So go support the devs all you can and wherever you can, spread the word about how cool this platform can be. Contact devs and offer to write reviews for other forums. Talk to your audio peers and clients. Do write-ups on your own websites and/or blogs about libraries you have just used on some project. Post something on FACEBOOK. We need to do what we can to bring Nebula out of the elite niche market and more into the use of the public, I think.

Ok rant over. I just think that Nebula is one of the coolest and most liberating tools for digital audio, at least for me. I want it's development to continue and not vanish like so many other good ideas in the arts and technology markets. Cheers!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Re: SUPPORT THE DEVS!!

Postby botus99 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Well said, Richie!
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby mightymosaic » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:20 pm

Couldn't agree more, But lets be honest here. We gave Nebula a chance and we adapted it to our workflow. MOST wont do this because of inconvienance, We all tried it and loved it none the less. To be completely honest .. The only way nebula can expand from this "elite audio-geek club" is to start implementing the Aqua Technology in all libraries. ( i dont know how this is done or if its easy or not) But from what ive read Its pretty much Acustica Audio's Kernel technology In legit VST form with GUI. As soon as that happens NEBULA will blossom and we will be receiving hundreds of new members daily.

So what's the deal with Aqua Technology? Is it extremely hard to implement? Lets Solve this! Lets Save NEBULA!

P.S this thread has been a long time coming.
mightymosaic

Postby SWAN » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:42 pm

I think a lot of people support Nebula and speak of it in forums - even Nebula users started to get a reputation in Gearslutz...

I think what we could encourage is:

More reviews of the Nebula programs you like from developers. Programs are difficult to fully demo - people might not buy if they are not sure...so talk about it :)

If you plan on purchasing a library - go get it! Dont leave it.

If you are an engineer mixing professionally - offer to provide quality audio for audio demos. Or offer a demo mixdown using the tools...or if you review - throw in an audio demo!

But there is something I also want to say. Sadly these are not the early days. There are new challenges such as piracy. I dont feel we should have to buy a new library just to support 'the community'. I am not rich enough to support like that - but if others are - that is great please grab them. But the principle is there-in a capitalist world developers will have to create programs people want to buy and that get the job done well. If you hang around forums it becomes quite obvious what types of tools get people juices flowing, and buying. And a developer entering the game has to decide for themselves how they want to play it and how much time they can put in for that return. A sort of 'charity' community - is not sustainable in the longer term - and what we need is a longer term model and for developers to get paid sustainably. Unfortunately you just cant rely on people purely from a support point of view especially in these tough times.

I also feel that whilst developers do a great job in the sampling - particularly the ones who are really clever about how they use the Nebula technology - I think the presentation could be improved...in terms of audio demos etc in order to broaden its appeal. Maybe some people can help there with audio and mix downs...

I also feel that Acustica could also help here. I agree that AA could team up with specific developers and create Aqua versions of the best units. Its obvious how great these things sound - so lets get it into peoples hands! There must be a way to improve usability!

What Im saying - is that everyone can help eachother and it has to be sustainable - not relying on goodwill which is ephemeral. I am a big fan of Nebula - and want to see it gets its deserved support. Indeed I worry about developers who I know put SO MUCH work into their programs - they deserve to get a great return - unless there is a uplift in ALL areas I am worried the Nebula world will go from cutting edge to a stagnation pool on the side of the mainstream...It is not just up to us to blindly buy everything as a charity. We will do our bit - but also developers and AA can do their bit - and hopefully the VVKT can go up to the next level 8-)
Last edited by SWAN on Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:49 pm

mightymosaic wrote:Couldn't agree more, But lets be honest here. We gave Nebula a chance and we adapted it to our workflow. MOST wont do this because of inconvienance, We all tried it and loved it none the less. To be completely honest .. The only way nebula can expand from this "elite audio-geek club" is to start implementing the Aqua Technology in all libraries. ( i dont know how this is done or if its easy or not) But from what ive read Its pretty much Acustica Audio's Kernel technology In legit VST form with GUI. As soon as that happens NEBULA will blossom and we will be receiving hundreds of new members daily.

So what's the deal with Aqua Technology? Is it extremely hard to implement? Lets Solve this! Lets Save NEBULA!

yes this will be our new direction. We are working on that in the backstage, soon youll see the new website market and products.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:06 pm

SWAN's post very closely sums up my feelings on the matter. This thread gives me a good feeling about the future of Nebula (after AITB's exit gave me pause and made me ponder the future of Nebula and what I would do if the platform disappeared).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:10 pm

i'm on tour playing keys with a fairly well known artist who will be recording his first new release in many years (his older work was reissued on sony earlier in the year). i've managed to get him interested in nebula to the point where he may be using it to mix the new album. maybe i can get him to mention it in the press and generate some web traffic here and on the 3rd party websites. will keep everyone here posted on it...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:16 pm

SWAN wrote:I think a lot of people support Nebula and speak of it in forums - even Nebula users started to get a reputation in Gearslutz...

I think what we could encourage is:

More reviews of the Nebula programs you like from developers. Programs are difficult to fully demo - people might not buy if they are not sure...so talk about it :)

If you plan on purchasing a library - go get it! Dont leave it.

If you are an engineer mixing professionally - offer to provide quality audio for audio demos. Or offer a demo mixdown using the tools...or if you review - throw in an audio demo!

But there is something I also want to say. Sadly these are not the early days. There are new challenges such as piracy. I dont feel we should have to buy a new library just to support 'the community'. I am not rich enough to support like that - but if others are - that is great please grab them. But the principle is there-in a capitalist world developers will have to create programs people want to buy and that get the job done well. If you hang around forums it becomes quite obvious what types of tools get people juices flowing, and buying. And a developer entering the game has to decide for themselves how they want to play it and how much time they can put in for that return. A sort of 'charity' community - is not sustainable in the longer term - and what we need is a longer term model and for developers to get paid sustainably. Unfortunately you just cant rely on people purely from a support point of view especially in these tough times.

I also feel that whilst developers do a great job in the sampling - particularly the ones who are really clever about how they use the Nebula technology - I think the presentation could be improved...in terms of audio demos etc in order to broaden its appeal. Maybe some people can help there with audio and mix downs...

I also feel that Acustica could also help here. I agree that AA could team up with specific developers and create Aqua versions of the best units. Its obvious how great these things sound - so lets get it into peoples hands! There must be a way to improve usability!

What Im saying - is that everyone can help eachother and it has to be sustainable - not relying on goodwill which is ephemeral. I am a big fan of Nebula - and want to see it gets its deserved support. Indeed I worry about developers who I know put SO MUCH work into their programs - they deserve to get a great return - unless there is a uplift in ALL areas I am worried the Nebula world will go from cutting edge to a stagnation pool on the side of the mainstream...It is not just up to us to blindly buy everything as a charity. We will do our bit - but also developers and AA can do their bit - and hopefully the VVKT can go up to the next level 8-)

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to see from this thread. I was actually going to mention almost all of the same points as you, but my post was already obnoxiously long and I wanted people to jump in....like you all are doing. Awesome.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Mauri » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:46 am

giancarlo wrote:
mightymosaic wrote:Couldn't agree more, But lets be honest here. We gave Nebula a chance and we adapted it to our workflow. MOST wont do this because of inconvienance, We all tried it and loved it none the less. To be completely honest .. The only way nebula can expand from this "elite audio-geek club" is to start implementing the Aqua Technology in all libraries. ( i dont know how this is done or if its easy or not) But from what ive read Its pretty much Acustica Audio's Kernel technology In legit VST form with GUI. As soon as that happens NEBULA will blossom and we will be receiving hundreds of new members daily.

yes this will be our new direction. We are working on that in the backstage, soon youll see the new website market and products.

I'm very glad to hear that, Giancarlo, I have CDSoundMaster's N-10-AT4 VST and love it :D !

Cheers,

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 8 x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, Nebula 3 Pro & Server x64.
Mauri
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Mauri wrote:I'm very glad to hear that, Giancarlo, I have CDSoundMaster's N-10-AT4 VST and love it :D !

Cheers,

Mauri.

I have "a few" of the available Aqua versions of Neb libraries, and I find myself using them much more than their Nebula equivalents. Easy, fast loading, and heck- even I am influenced and refreshed by a pretty face once in a while!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries