Login

Complex Compressor hardware, Nebula comparisons added!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: John bonham Style drum sound Clips needed for complex co

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:00 am

Hhhmm well I guess you'll get some comparison to the real hardware at some point. I've been asked so I guess I should really try to deliver.

this is particuly hard bacause the attack is very sharp on the comp*x unlike anything I've heard before.

One thing I will say is that my comparisons are usually done direct out A/B's and there is a benefit to hearing it this way. I would say that the hardware will have a slightly more harder slam on attack. But to be honest it's slamming down better than I've heard before.

so..

Tone and gain reduction is there..as well as release. Attack is much better than before. I'm trying to be honest as possible. I will say it's not perfect but very good!

sonics are virtually the same.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:15 am

We may have a little a/b hardware comparison on the way, not sure yet though...

Anyone interested?
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:38 am

^but of course, tim!

Of course, drums are what everyone is interested in hearing, but if you could, let's hear some comparisons on other sources as well (bass guitar, for example). Looking forward. Thanks!!!
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:56 am

I hear what you saying there!

Well I did some a/b today and looped back from hardware. It was a real quick test.

And yes with drums.. I went for extreme examples because I feel this is where you will here big differences over release speeds and attacks.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Re: John bonham Style drum sound Clips needed

Postby SWAN » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Ok I have some examples of the Compex vs Tim's Nebula Complex - I arranged the files so they are blind so you can listen without bias and compare...guess which you think is the Nebula Program and which is the hardware!

There is a Crushed example (with fast attack and release) and a Slower attack example (still fast release). They are intended to be pushing the limits a bit to examine compression action.

Best thing is to put it into your DAW - its a 2 bar loop - line them up one per track and solo between them...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOzK- ... sp=sharing
Last edited by SWAN on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Re: Complex Compressor hardware, Nebula comparisons added!!

Postby dagovitsj » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks, SWAN for doing this listening test - and for doing it "blind", so we really have to listen!

My preferences:

Compex Crush B
Compex Slow B

I think the hihat sticks out a little in the A-version, and I like better how the B-version compresses/treats the crash cymbal in the beginning of the loop. I think there is more punch/suck in the snare of the B-version too.

Cheers
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby mathias » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:41 pm

i prefer:
crush B
slow B

to my ears, the integrity of the soundsource is kept better in the B examples, in both crush and slow.

in the crush A example, the transients are too clicky and the distortion is higher and not so pleasant.

in the slow A example, it sounds more unbalanced, the first bass hit is destroyed, distortion is higher too.

that's my two ears :D

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 pm

Just a little bit of an explanation of the original clips.

They are both on fastest release.The complex is a insanely fast release! So other clips will be added.

Both hardware and software will have a certain amount of distortion on these settings.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby drecchiarex » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:00 am

I agree with the posts thus far. A I'm guessing is Nebula.

The surprising part was that the SLOW attack is actually where the big difference was. Slow A had the classic weird ass Nebula stuff going on. B was much less spastic, more effortless.

I thought for sure Nebula was gonna choke on the fast attack settings. Both examples were VERY close action wise. A had a little less heft, didn't hold the lows on the attacks as much as B.

If B is Nebula, then we've reached the promised land :)
Last edited by drecchiarex on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
drecchiarex
User Level III
User Level III

Postby drecchiarex » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:01 am

Oh, and most importantly.... This is closer than any Algo will ever come. I don't care what anyone says... algos have a fuzzy hash that comes with them. It is exactly the artifact that Nebula absolutely does not have. Plain and simple.
drecchiarex
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries