Login

Best EQ? Best Compressor? Best PreAmp?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Best EQ? Best Compressor? Best PreAmp?

Postby superhero81 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Hey Everyone,
I am new on here and so far my experience with everyone has been GREAT! Everyone is very helpful and obliged to give their input. So here is my question....
I am starting to buy 3rd party libraries...
I would like everyone's input on their Favorite EQs, Compressors, and PreAmps.....
Any specific one at the top of the list? Is there that "One" that stands out from the rest? I am doing rock/hip-hop genre style of music. Old linkin park style.
Thanks!
superhero81
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Best EQ? Best Compressor? Best PreAmp?

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 pm

superhero81 wrote:Hey Everyone,
I am new on here and so far my experience with everyone has been GREAT! Everyone is very helpful and obliged to give their input. So here is my question....
I am starting to buy 3rd party libraries...
I would like everyone's input on their Favorite EQs, Compressors, and PreAmps.....
Any specific one at the top of the list? Is there that "One" that stands out from the rest? I am doing rock/hip-hop genre style of music. Old linkin park style.
Thanks!

Favorite processors...definitely no way I could limit that to one each!

I figured this would come up with some frequency (it's exactly what I would want to know!) so I'm going to just keep updating my post here.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Favourite reverb by far is the vnxtemt140!:

http://vnxtsound.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01 ... -140s.html

There is some amazing free stuff about, have you checked the YR free pack?

http://www.soundyaudio.com/YRPresets.zip

The Mic and Small Speakers are great. Best of all the NAG preamp, super amazing. Should have your rock drum bus rocking! :D
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby superhero81 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Sweet! I'll check them out!
Thanks!
superhero81
User Level III
User Level III

Postby RJHollins » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 pm

I'm trying to think if I ever bought a 'bad' Nebula equalizer :roll:
:lol:

There are several criteria that I use to help make a decision, beyond the fact that we have access to many sought after units [so ... end up buying most all of them].

The factor I then look toward are the design. Is it a 'broad' stroke, or a surgical library ? Each are important tools in the arsenal.

I really can't limit it to 'a favorite', though.

As an aside [and not trying to derail the thread with a commercial :o ] ... I have been designing several Virtual controllers [NVC series]. The impact this has had on interaction, workflow, and coherency with a Nebula library has refined not only my appreciation for, but most importantly ... the results. [self serving commercial over] :oops:

As to 'sonic character' in making choices ... again, I can be of no specific help. The same was try when I worked all hardware. Variety is the spice of life. What may work 'ok' on one source may really shine with another unit.

If I could recommend one thing ... go slower in building your library stash [unlike the buying binge I went on :roll: ]. I say this to help prevent overload. It took months for me to even go through all my EQ's, let alone truly evaluate them. Nothing too wrong about that ... most of the libraries were units I regularly used [outside of individual uniqueness]. Also ... the cost was a no-brainer really.

So I guess I was not to helpful .... sorry 'bout that :roll:

I won't even try to suggest compressors, reverbs, preamps, tubes, oh ... and tape :shock:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby greekpeet » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:48 pm

I really think RJ gives great advice as its a completely personalized journey throughout.

Over the years I've gravitated to certain EQs for certain sounds that fit with my music. Suggestions we all could make could you help or not.

Key is experimentation.

Plus there is no such thing as 'best' - at all - completely source dependent. Personally I don't like any of the Nebula compressors, as they've never made it to the final mix downs. I've also never been 100% satisfied with any of the tube libraries - again - some people have used them and impressed the heck out of me with using CDSM's tube and tube booster.

I tried it on my stuff and found it added a 'cloud' that didn't put the mix or music where it needed to be. Maybe I could use it after eqing, never tried that, so again after years of using it still haven't gotten every combo to best enhance a mix.

:)

For me personally I love CDSM's Ampex, tape booster and his VTMM2 VSTs. Its a big portion of getting the 'level' I need from individual sounds, but is by no means a replacement for tonal correction.

Hence where EQ comes in.

Kik's and Bass - personally have not found any libraries that get things in pocket like AlexB's Pultec and CDSM's Cooltec.
Doc Fear works great on low mid range sounds, adding a bit of 1K, or adding some air, but is quite colored to say the Mammoth.

AlexB's A*I I find is great and pretty consistent on snares, or sometimes a synth. But I synthesize pretty much 90% of my own percussion these days so YMMV.

FateQ is great too, but can't replace the 1084 or 115.

NiceEQ is a personal favorite, but might not even get used.

Really really tough to suggest anything other than getting super comfortable with how each library will process the sound.

Best advice I can give is to get good at knowing them intimately to the point where you instinctively know what you need to correct, or enhance to bring out the best in the mix. What I mean is get super good to where you don't even have to think or guess what you need to do.

This could take months, or maybe a few years. Me, it took me a few years and getting into a room where I can really turn up the monitors and instantly know what needs what and how to get it.

Even then, it might take you hours to get a mix in pocket with knowing your tools in and out.

If you where going to say purchase some EQs, maybe pick up three different libraries that compliment each other.

I personally own these EQ libraries:
98Q, 115, ADQ, ARQ, BMQ, BXQ, CT1&2, DocFear, Fate, GEQ, Mammoth, N1084, NiceQ, PeakQ, Pulet, Q8 and the W2B.

Even with knowing them all really well, couldn't ever pick a 'best' as a blanket statement. But 'best' job is completely and totally source dependent. Plus someone else might use something different and get an equally amazing result.

One more thing, I've actually never had a release have a full Nebula treatment, but am finishing up about six or so projects where after using Nebula for the last three years can finally say 'they got the full treatment'.

:geek:

ps- one more thing. Never have been happy with a single HP filter in Nebula. People may call me crazy, but prefer any digital EQ for this function. Very surprised a single developer has not ever made a very clean and general HP/LP filter that can be used on every channel for low end cleaning. They all are either fixed frequency or way way too colored (IE get in the way).

So there ya' go.

Hope it helps.

:D
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby kylen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:07 am

Hi Mike, How's the Pirate Business coming... :evil:
kylen

Postby dpclarkson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 am

I don't think that there's 1 preamp, eq or comp to suit
all your needs, in fact, major studios have racks wall to wall
filled with all kinds of preamps, eq's and comps.
Read this link:
http://www.farmelorecording.com/in-the- ... c-varnish/
It's a great read about layering and coloring the sound
you're after.
However, when you find a combination that suits your everyday
tasks perfectly, that can also leave some kind
of 'signature' in your mixes.
dpclarkson

Postby superhero81 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:28 am

Cool! Thanks Clarkson. That's a great article!
superhero81
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:03 pm

@greekpeet

I have some N*V* 2060 filters that I could sample ;)
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries