Login

Modular Synthesis Parts

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Modular Synthesis Parts

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:35 pm

I had an idea this morning: is it possible to sample and combine modules/units from analog synths and then chain them together with Nebula instances to create like a psuedo-modular synthesizer?

Say one sampled the VCOs and filters, chain in ADSR, some modulation, what not; and I think you can even modulate with LFOs in Nebula, right (didn't Cupwise do that on his Urei filter set)?

It's probably clear I'm not a synth guy naturally but these products seem well suited for Nebulizing: they tend to have accessible ins and outs, analog circuit paths and are preferred for most of the reasons people tend to prefer Nebula programs to other VST emulations.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Re: Modular Synthesis Parts

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Assuming this project has any merit (I'm not certain if it does or not to be honest), the first challenge would be, I think: the oscillators themselves. Assuming you could sample the circuit (or there is any use to doing so), you still need something to provide that signal, an actual source. Would it be sufficient to use a digital/VSTi oscillator and pipe that into a chain of Nebula synth parts? I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure that's the way it would have to be: there's no point in taking an analog oscillator and brining it ITB for synthesis (if one already had analog oscillators it would seem like a better idea to just purchase analog filters, ADSRs, etc.).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Owen » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:24 pm

It's possible to chain any vsti / vst effect. There are a number of modular chaining hosts out there. It's not just Nebula you can chain either. There are also solutions for using control voltages for modular synths available these days. I wouldn't just look at Nebula. The main issue that will limit you however is the amount of i/o that you have on your audio card, if you want to do a lot of send/receive processing. Not to mention latency depending on what sort of processing you want to do.

In terms of filter sampling - yes it is possible to sample filters. That being said, there are a number of clones of popular filters that you can build yourself - in hardware.

Regards,
Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Cupwise » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:40 pm

its a cool idea and i've thought about this kind of stuff before, but i really dont see how you could sample the vcos themselves. sadly you couldnt do stuff like ring mods either. i think the only substantial thing that could be done would be filters
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:59 pm

Cupwise wrote:its a cool idea and i've thought about this kind of stuff before, but i really dont see how you could sample the vcos themselves. sadly you couldnt do stuff like ring mods either. i think the only substantial thing that could be done would be filters

Yeah I came to this conclusion too sometime after I posted; I couldn't conceive of a way that Nebula could be used to generate the initial tone. The circuit of the oscillator could, I would think, be sampled although I have my doubts as to whether such a thing would even be audible/desirable.

Seems to me at least one developer has released synthesis filters before; I should probably check that library out with some of my favorite VST oscillators and see what I can come up with.

This stuff is on my mind lately as I plan my first 5U build.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm

id love to have a modular. anyway, one time i had the idea, of if there was a way to have a vco that would track the pitch of the sine sweep that you use for sampling. the sine sweep .wav you get out of nat. it slowly sweeps upward in pitch. i mean i seriously doubt it'd work because the cycles have to be pretty closely synched (which is why slower tape speeds which introduce wow/flutter becomes a problem where you get jagged higher frequency responses). anyway it almost surely wouldnt even be worth doing. IF it actually worked all youd get would be some kind of something like a preamp type program. some harmonics, etc. but for curiosity's sake its interesting to think about. because you'd be basically swapping out the purely digitally generated sine sweep that was spat out by NAT for a purely analog sine sweep. in a way you'd be sampling the vco. you'd get some degree of it's tone. but again if it actually worked itd just be something like a preamp type thing.

if nebula could do higher distortion levels then something like that might be interesting, where you could use different shaped waves like triangle or more exotic ones...
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:45 pm

That's a really interesting idea. Once I get a basic setup I'm going to need to spend some time thinking outside the box (pun intended!), there's just so many things you can do with a modular setup.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby FrankydT » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:18 am

Didn't have STN released Oberheim, Arp and Moog samples in Kontakt and SampleTank format?
And their relative Pres?
I'm in favor of the real ones, in conjuction with Nebula, but I think the answer for this topic is: Yes, it's doable.
But it will never be the same as the real one (above all in workflow)
And you'll need a very good filter software: look out for AlexB Filters, Soundtoys Filterfreak, Cytomic the Drop or anyone else good enough around.
But as I said, the better thing is having a real one.
No one could posses all (and in this crisis time...)
But, for eq and console, I've just expended a lot in a Midas Heritage
(My finances are sick now... it's not a T*****t, but it's good...)
:D
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby FrankydT » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:31 am

VERY Good...
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to 3rd party libraries