Login

Noooooo sad day for Nebula world..[solved]

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Noooooo............ Sad day for Nebula world.......

Postby jeffbdavis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:46 pm

myimo wrote:I also agree with thepalalias. A serial number is fine (as long as its not linked to a specific HD) because the buyer can migrate to a new HD without these kind of problems.
This was the very reason I never bought anything from AITB
where as I have bought quite a lot from other developers
and will continue to do so.
The Pace debacle only shows that the consumer can't afford to
be reliant on any one else after the purchase.

Any program that has AITB type protection (i.e. you need the developer) will end up as abandonware. Its inevitable on a long enough time line.

Agreed 100%. Some people change machines / hard drives pretty often.
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:47 pm

myimo wrote:I also agree with thepalalias. A serial number is fine (as long as its not linked to a specific HD) because the buyer can migrate to a new HD without these kind of problems.
This was the very reason I never bought anything from AITB
where as I have bought quite a lot from other developers
and will continue to do so.
The Pace debacle only shows that the consumer can't afford to
be reliant on any one else after the purchase.

Any program that has AITB type protection (i.e. you need the developer) will end up as abandonware. Its inevitable on a long enough time line.

I have had this debate with many developers too, and as much as I hate to admit it, I agree with this ultimately. The devs deserve to have good copy protection indeed, but I feel like there is no perfect solution and must be decided by each developer (and they must deal with consequences). Ser/aut copy protection and authorization is a much better system for the product. It is almost fool-proof in regards to pirates and sharing. This is a good thing for the devs. But it is a huge deterrent for the user, much like an ilok or other hardware dependent system. And unfortunately, everything fails sometime, so minimizing the numbers of possible failures is what the customer wants. Their computers WILL fail one day, or they WILL change hardware. And the internet and/or these companies WILL fail sometime, and not at their fault- it just is inevitable. So the decision for the devs is to use a system that protects them more but is likely to alienate a certain percentage of potential customers. Or use a system that entices people to spend money confidently but puts the dev at greater risk and in a position where they must trust their customers to not share or pirate. I am glad that I am not the one to make these decisions because they are not easy.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Since taking on programming for the NVC series, I've had opportunity to follow conversation/debate from the 'coding' side. The 'topic' can be quite lively ... but it most always settles into how this impacts both the User and the Developer.

It is very much a '2 edged sword'.

The span of things to consider can easily be overwhelming [and frustrating].

I won't be dragged [easily] into further debate. Without 'side-tracking' this thread, I have settle on a 'simplest' form to distinguish supporters from the demos. As with any venture, continuation will be based solely on how the Community responds to the offered tools. In that light, I also want to minimize inconvenience to User AND to myself. Not wanting to sound like a 'complainer', but I can easily state that the additional amount of effort to create something for other's to use is exponentially more than what I made for myself. [It may not of had all the features currently in place ... but it greatly improved my work-flow enough]. That said, I'm also happy that I am designing for everyone else, as it truly can force one to a higher level [if that makes any sense]. Regardless, after investing so much time, energy, and resources, I want to absolute best I can do ... or why bother :|

I sincerely hope that AITB, if personality unable to stay involved, can at least make so type of 'leasing' arrangement with another library developer to allow everyone [including new comers] to buy these great tools they made.

I will say this ... if 'you' have worked your *ss off on a project, or someone 'borrows' something from you [maybe without asking], check what 'your' personal reaction might be :o Financial consideration is not the only factor. Without being 'dramatic' ... sometimes its a personal 'hurt' ... like someone telling you the song you've worked on for months ... stinks :P

I don't know what happened at AITB ... but I have no reason to believe that all the Nebula developers are somehow immune. We belong to a very 'niche' sector, and no matter how important we view it ... its' a fragment of the busine$$ world.

Hope for a positive outcome.

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:23 am

RJHollins wrote:Since taking on programming for the NVC series, I've had opportunity to follow conversation/debate from the 'coding' side. The 'topic' can be quite lively ... but it most always settles into how this impacts both the User and the Developer.

It is very much a '2 edged sword'.

The span of things to consider can easily be overwhelming [and frustrating].

I won't be dragged [easily] into further debate. Without 'side-tracking' this thread, I have settle on a 'simplest' form to distinguish supporters from the demos. As with any venture, continuation will be based solely on how the Community responds to the offered tools. In that light, I also want to minimize inconvenience to User AND to myself. Not wanting to sound like a 'complainer', but I can easily state that the additional amount of effort to create something for other's to use is exponentially more than what I made for myself. [It may not of had all the features currently in place ... but it greatly improved my work-flow enough]. That said, I'm also happy that I am designing for everyone else, as it truly can force one to a higher level [if that makes any sense]. Regardless, after investing so much time, energy, and resources, I want to absolute best I can do ... or why bother :|

I sincerely hope that AITB, if personality unable to stay involved, can at least make so type of 'leasing' arrangement with another library developer to allow everyone [including new comers] to buy these great tools they made.

I will say this ... if 'you' have worked your *ss off on a project, or someone 'borrows' something from you [maybe without asking], check what 'your' personal reaction might be :o Financial consideration is not the only factor. Without being 'dramatic' ... sometimes its a personal 'hurt' ... like someone telling you the song you've worked on for months ... stinks :P

I don't know what happened at AITB ... but I have no reason to believe that all the Nebula developers are somehow immune. We belong to a very 'niche' sector, and no matter how important we view it ... its' a fragment of the busine$$ world.

Hope for a positive outcome.

Sincerely.

(I quoted this to emphasize it).
It indeed is not about money and is very much about everyone's rights and creative liberties. I was only throwing my opinions out there, I would never pretend to even partially understand how a developer will feel about these things. Like RJ, I just hope for a positive outcome for everyone.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 am

I would also like to publicly add my 'THANK-YOU Richie', for your help during beta-testing. It is NOT a fun job [sometimes]. Besides looking for problems with code ... or even spelling mistakes in the GUI :o , a critical aspect [for me as someone very new to this programming stuff], was the PROCESS of the beta-testing. Specifically, what is the 'experience' of testing a new piece of software by someone that no one else has seen or used. Beyond figuring out how to 'teach' a computer program to do something, is how the User interacts. This is equally as challenging. Every comment, insight, confusion, frustration shared in multiple emails have to be considered ... and then, serious pondering on how can I make this a better experience [or at least improve on it]. 8-) Through determination ... and a heck of a lot of time and learning, all previous NVC controllers have been pulled :shock: Because the new features [including the configuration to the custom library] has been greatly improved [along with many other features I'll save for the 'announce' thread. Many of the request for 'testing' were curious [which is fine !], but very few stepped up and did serious evaluation, testing, and provided the critical feedback. To that, I again say 'Thank-you' ! ;)

To all Developers ... you have earned my utmost respect for the amount of work that goes into delivering a product. It is mind-numbing how much is really involved.

Apologies for the soapbox ... :lol: I've been writing the 'dreaded' manual/documentation for, some, 3 integrated topics. After such deep focus into some many small details, it is ironic that I'm trying to step back to see the 'forest from the trees', and write some clear, coherent documentation. [Once you get to play with the NVC demo, you'll also sense the irony [funny] of working the entire library, rather than fragmented pieces]. Well, I've not slept much over some time, so maybe I'm just finding this funny :roll: :lol:

OK ... back to getting screen-shots and writing ! :twisted:
;)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:26 am

Aw shucks......
Email or PM me RJ. I think I am available again.....
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Room Hunters » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Wow,

Just saw this ...
Big up to AITB and especially Niklas, grand pa of all nebula 3rd party developer.

I think the Doc Fear was the most shocking release in nebula world.

As a developer, we can see how difficult it is to deal with both day job and real life and nebula. The time to create and test a preset is hard to find, but to stay available to loyal customers whatever is happening to you is even an harder challenge.
Virtual Room Miking ?
Room Hunters!
Room Hunters
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby outmod » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:49 pm

I only just found this out today. Very sad, but I am a bit pissed that they did not email me regarding this news, as I have invested in most of their products.

I only found out because all my AITB presets don't show up in Nebula 64 bit and I went to the site for support.

Has anyone else had the 64 bit issue I mentioned above and if so do you know how to fix this? I have sent an email to AITB, but awaiting a reply.

Anyway that aside this is a real shame, I thought that they offered the best service, website, download area, products and branding.

If they were doing it right and they failed, it will only be time before other developers go too.

My opinion has always been that Nebula is a great product.

But it is very slow to move forward and many developers websites and activations including Acustica Audios fall short in relation to modern standards. Support is bad in most cases and activations and installations can be clunky.

I could go on, but what is the point.

Very sad indeed.

I hope Acustica and 3rd party developers see the red flag here and step up their game, or this could just be the start of the end for Nebula.

:(
Running Macbook Pro i7, Reaper 4, Nebula Pro Bundle, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Kontrol X1, Maschine Mikro, Akai MPK Mini
outmod
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby emilieitor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Somebody have the AITB products manuals pdf for share it?
emilieitor
User Level X
User Level X

Postby martin87spencer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:14 pm

I have the ApEQ, FateEQ, Docfear, FateComp, and SnapComp manuals.
How to get them to you ?
Maybe PM ?
martin87spencer
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries