Login

Noooooo sad day for Nebula world..[solved]

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Noooooo............ Sad day for Nebula world.......

Postby lipa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:50 pm

well.. maybe it wouldn't be such a problem to do a post closing sale or something? lot's of us want to pickup some of those libraries.. what do You say AITB?
lipa

Postby SWAN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:14 pm

yes sadly as a plugin gets more people then there are also some freeloaders and pirates...

they should be exposed...

Nebula developers deserve to be protected by their community.

Im afraid in terms of pricing its a tricky one. Nebula presets arent after all actual plugins - they are presets - a bit like sample libraries - so its not so easy to work out pricing.

However developers from the sounds of it work very hard - and sometimes I think they under charge. For example I think Cupwise could easily charge $30-40 for his compressors, and the same could be said for full EQ packs. I think CDSoundmaster and Alex B and Gemini have it about right.

It has to be accepted however that Nebula programs dont function as full as most algo plugins - they are more like presets/sample libraries.

Finding the right price point is important. Sometimes I worry that the amount of work involved is high compared to the demand from the market and the workload. Personally I think the key might be to simplify. Many hard core might not agree with me - but I think for example developers should only sample at one rate. Then either downsample with a SRC or leave it to Nebula. It may not be perfect but there needs to be an 80% rule. Even if its not 100% perfect you get most of the Nebula advantage. At the moment there is a high demand in terms of absolute quality - but is there enough kick back for the work that goes into that? Part of the problem of course is that Nebula is not a strightforward technology with multiple uses - so that is where a lot of work is going - tweaking for different scenarios...

I still think there is a lot that could be said about marketing and simplification of the wider Nebula picture including programs. I will not go into that now though. Suffice to say I am a big fan of AA and I wish them to get the success they deserve for bringing such an innovative tool to market with such humour and actually I think there is some kindness and friendliness in their business - which is so refreshing.....Just as I feel the developers deserve proportionate success when I see competitors having big commercial success on tools which in my view bring lesser quality audio results...to me I dont like these imbalances...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby kylen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:22 pm

jeffbdavis wrote:
kylen wrote:DEAR WORLD - Please don't read my posts here and send me junk messages at my Acustica Audio account like this...very distasteful, I'm going to disconnect my messages if this continues... :evil:

"Hi,
I saw your post about the AITB libraries and thought I would message you. I hope you don't mind. I am new to the whole Nebula thing, but did a lot of research. I tried to buy some AITB libraries, but to my disappointment, they shut down shop. Is there anyway I can still get these plugins? I bought some of AlexB's stuff...some Cd Soundmaster...Some Henry Olongas and Gemini Audios. I spent over $400. Haha. Anyway, let me know please.
Thank you.
Mike"

I got the same message. It's worded a lot like a message I got on GS a few months ago. :x

Yes - I remember you (or someone) mentioning that a while back...before anyone went out of business, now that someone has it's even sadder...[Back to the pirates]...You want free Nebula presets then find some fine equipment and learn how to NAT it yourself...[or pay for them] :evil:
kylen

Postby dpclarkson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:59 am

Phew...so I managed to purchase the TankVerb,
before they decide to take down all the temporary links
permanently, still have to install and authorize it, though.
I presume that authorization will not be a hassle?
dpclarkson

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:52 am

dpclarkson wrote:Phew...so I managed to purchase the TankVerb,
before they decide to take down all the temporary links
permanently, still have to install and authorize it, though.
I presume that authorization will not be a hassle?

I just authorized a pair of late purchases about an hour ago, was as easy as usual (thanks Niklas for your assistance purchasing earlier, I truly wish I had purchased them when you were still counting on your customers for support).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby mweldridge » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:55 am

Just found out about this and I'm really sad to hear the news. I'm like a lot of others, been meaning to make some purchases but never got around to it. I would jump at the opportunity to complete my EAR libraries. I hope something gets worked out to allow us late-to-the-party types to show our support and appreciation for some great sounding libraries.
mweldridge
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby jkervin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Been a busy week for me so I just saw this thread - man this really sucks. A total shame.
jkervin
User Level X
User Level X

Postby rtownsend » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:11 pm

Just found the RJHollins NVC thread. Mammoth GUI. Cool! Oh. *sigh*
rtownsend
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mightymosaic » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Wow , this really is harsh. Thank god i purchased the full EAR library its used in every session. I agree with the last sale blow out though. Mine As Well go out with a bang?
mightymosaic

Postby richie43 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:49 pm

I know that I started this thread, and am seriously bummed about the decision from AITB to quit, but being that I have been called "hopelessly and often annoyingly positive" many times in my life, here are my thoughts as a response to this whole thing:

As Nebula users, we are sort of part of a weird elite audio-geek club and have the opportunity to be using a very forward-thinking tool in the world of digital audio. ITB mixing has never been as exciting for me and every time I fire up my DAW I am so pumped about the options that I have, and all in the box! How cool is this?

AITB was one of the "grandpa's" of developers for the platform, and have always delivered some of the coolest libraries at an amazing price. Now they've decided to stop, which is sad for many of us, but they made this decision for many great reasons. Nebula development is not a "get wealthy" way of working, I am surprised there are even as many as there are. So as we say thanks and farewell to AITB, it's even more important to support the existing devs, and even go check out some available libraries from a few devs that have already stopped but still have libraries for sale (TranscendingMusic comes to mind- AWESOME stuff, he stopped a while ago because of the glut of products and poor sales. Bob's libraries are far too under-rated!!). But also remember some of the other "old-timer" developers that are still around (CDSM, AlexB, OwnHammer, Signaltonoize,RoomHunters, VNXT),and may have considered the same options of quitting....

Also, go visit the websites of these newer devs and look at what they have done for this community and what products they have (no order of preference- these are all awesome!!)
Cupwise, Tim Petherick, Gemini Audio, Gene Lennon, Henry Olonga, and all of the just-starting-out devs that offer libraries for free. (If I forgot anyone, I deeply apologize, I am seriously sleep-deprived right now and am not in my right mind....)

So go support the devs all you can and wherever you can, spread the word about how cool this platform can be. Contact devs and offer to write reviews for other forums. Talk to your audio peers and clients. Do write-ups on your own websites and/or blogs about libraries you have just used on some project. Post something on FACEBOOK. We need to do what we can to bring Nebula out of the elite niche market and more into the use of the public, I think.

Ok rant over. I just think that Nebula is one of the coolest and most liberating tools for digital audio, at least for me. I want it's development to continue and not vanish like so many other good ideas in the arts and technology markets. Cheers!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries