Login

PCS Preamp Colour Suite instead of hardware preamps??

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

PCS Preamp Colour Suite instead of hardware preamps??

Postby schismatic » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:59 am

Does anybody here use the PCS library instead of actual hardware preamps? Has been anybody replaced their hardware preamp with any software?
schismatic
User Level II
User Level II

Re: PCS Preamp Colour Suite instead of hardware preamps??

Postby nino » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:31 am

I chose transparent preamp for my setup (Audient MICO),
cause if you record with condenser microphone you need preamp for 48v power anyways.
Before I was recording with TLA 5051 preamp (very colored) and Behringer which is also very colored.

With MICO I was struggling at first because signal was too clean (muffled, no Low roll-off, no presence, dull) even went to the point of thinking to plug back my good old cheapo Behringer.

Then after few days of experimenting I was able to find the sound I like using PCS fairchild,
at least for my mic and vocal.

Conclusion is that I would never go back now.
With transparent preamp+PCS (and others as well) I have unlimited freedom and sound possibilities.

With different soundsources you get different results, but thats how the ''old boys'' used to work, change preamp (and mic) while you recording until satisfied. Clean pre+Nebula is even better because you can find best pre for your soundsource later.

I was also considering F*******e liquid preamps (liquid channel, liquid saffire 56), but then pre sound would be printed while recording.

That is, of course my opinion ;)
nino
User Level X
User Level X

Postby cps418 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:12 pm

I use the "THD" preset from the "PC color suit", but I use it for tracking in protools and It sounds great. Just the other day I was google searching to see if using just a 48 phantom power device would work for recording, to give the cleanest sound, and then track through the THD preset for a more authentic THD preamp sound. But no luck on the google search.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:51 pm

There is no such thing as a software preamp that I'm aware of. While people tend to talk a lot about preamps in terms of 'color' the purpose of a preamp is to act on an electrical signal and prep the voltage for transportation down the wire(s) and into the mix path. That process takes place in the electrical domain; there is no way for software to interact with the electrical domain other than by controlling hardware (at which point the hardware is still what's acting on the electrical signal). Whatever hardware provides that voltage gain is still your 'preamp' no matter what you color the signal with before, during or after that trip down the wire.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby nino » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Well, color is all I need out of preamp or preamp simulation or sampled preamp.

These days I'm constantly trying to be more of an musician, as I was at start of my career (my most successful period by the way).
nino
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:07 pm

nino wrote:Well, color is all I need out of preamp or preamp simulation or sampled preamp.

The only thing I've ever needed out of a preamp is to connect my microphone to my mix input. Nebula programs and preamp simulations are an entirely different (and incomparable) subject but I don't actually need a Nebula program or Nebula at all to complete a signal path from my equipment.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby nino » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 am

ngarjuna wrote:
nino wrote:Well, color is all I need out of preamp or preamp simulation or sampled preamp.

The only thing I've ever needed out of a preamp is to connect my microphone to my mix input. Nebula programs and preamp simulations are an entirely different (and incomparable) subject but I don't actually need a Nebula program or Nebula at all to complete a signal path from my equipment.

Of course if thats your ''style''.

I find it sometimes easier to treat my tracks with only one Nebula preamp that make source great sounding, instead of tinkering few equalizer and filter instances back and forth.

There is thread here about using only CDS R2R or so instead of Eq coloring which is for me very interesting and liberating approach.

No right or wrong in music production. Once upon a time distortion and saturation was a bad thing (at least for equipment designers), and few musicians got killed for using wrong notes (tritonus).
Luckily nowdays I can use tritonus whenever I think I should..as well as my PCS.

Sorry to hijack this thread.
Bye
nino
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:04 am

I'm sorry but I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying; it's not a matter of style, it's a matter of what the word 'preamp' means and the OP's question of whether or not a preamp can be replaced by software. It cannot. Because a preamp is not a program that you apply for tone (which software can certainly provide) it's a device which alters the voltage of the signal leaving your microphone and preps it for input into a mixer or an ADC. That is not something software can do nor can you connect your microphone to your ADC through a Nebula program. I think you're confusing what a preamp is with what you use preamp emulations for.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby tyrrell » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:23 am

Pre= before
In a daw= after
tyrrell
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:23 am

nino wrote:Of course if thats your ''style''.

I find it sometimes easier to treat my tracks with only one Nebula preamp that make source great sounding, instead of tinkering few equalizer and filter instances back and forth.

There is thread here about using only CDS R2R or so instead of Eq coloring which is for me very interesting and liberating approach.

No right or wrong in music production. Once upon a time distortion and saturation was a bad thing (at least for equipment designers), and few musicians got killed for using wrong notes (tritonus).
Luckily nowdays I can use tritonus whenever I think I should..as well as my PCS.

Sorry to hijack this thread.
Bye

Ngarjuna is just explaining the electronic function of what a real preamp does. If you are using any microphones for tracking, you need something to convert what goes into the mic into signals that can be recorded to your DAW, tape machine, ADAT, etc. he is not telling you how to color your sound. If you are strictly midi or even all instruments that can be patched directly into your interface (like guitar/bass into an amp-sim), then maybe you don't need or own a hardware preamp, which is cool. He was just trying to clarify what a real preamp does as opposed to what many people use a software preamp emulation for. Cheers.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries