Login

nebula upward compressors?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

nebula upward compressors?

Postby kylen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:17 am

Do any of you hard working nebula preset developers have an upward compressor preset for sale? Meaning compression occurs below the threshold instead of above the threshold (not parallel or NY Style). I have several alogorithmic vst compressors that do this (C1, Ozone5, FlX4, Flux Pure DeExpander, etc.) but none in the nebula realm. Don't know if there's anything to sample in the hardware world though...Thanks!
kylen

Re: nebula upward compressors?

Postby Cupwise » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:29 pm

i'm not really too familiar with these but my idea of what would be going on there would be that, the stuff below the threshold is actually being brought up in level, closer to the threshold level, and everything above the thresh is untouched.

but really i think the end result is still basically the same thing. you get the lower and upper levels brought closer together. the main difference would just be in how the controls work and so the workflow/use would be a bit different.

nebula could do that, but like you said i don't know of any hardware comps that behave that way. and the other thing is that at least if it were done in nebula, i think the attack and release behavior would be like the opposite of what you normally have. say you set the attack to 20ms. instead of a louder peak that takes 20ms to be clamped down on, you'd have the original lower level and then it'd take 20ms to come up. i can't imagine how an algorithmic model could raise levels below the thresh up, and not behave like that either. so that'd be kind of weird, i'd think.

it's an interesting idea though and i've thought about it before. you could sort of hand-craft something like this in nebula.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:51 am

I'm not sure what those plugins are doing because i have not used them.You can certainly get upward and downward expansion.

Parallel compression works a little like a upward compressor.. So using a very Fast attack and release,Then duplicating the track dry and playing it in parrallel against the limited/compressed track. You then can control the effected track on a fader , that acts a bit like a threshold control.This will bring the softer slower parts up in the mix. Basically your transients are still there.

Oh and I forgot to mention that you need to slam the effected track really hard to make this work properly. A limiter would work well. You want smash the crap out of the peaks.

There is one function I did not sample on the TNT dynamics but I can't remember of the top of my head if it was similar to what your talking about or not.I will look at it again tomorrow ;)
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby sneaky » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 am

Reaper could do something like this with existing neb comps, applying 100% 'wet' signal over a specified threshold with parameter modulation. Ill try & see if its useful
sneaky

Postby Definity » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:42 am

Are you talking about upward ratio compression? Unlike a normal compressor which can flatten the dynamic range this can make the dynamic range between the quite and the loud even bigger?
Definity

Postby kylen » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:19 am

Cupwise wrote:...but really i think the end result is still basically the same thing. you get the lower and upper levels brought closer together.

Yes that is definitely the end result. But pushing the volume or density up from the bottom instead of pushing down on the top (haha I really don't speak dsp do I?).

timp wrote:Parallel compression works a little like a upward compressor.. So using a very Fast attack and release,Then duplicating the track dry and playing it in parrallel against the limited/compressed track. You then can control the effected track on a fader , that acts a bit like a threshold control.This will bring the softer slower parts up in the mix. Basically your transients are still there.

Yes that could be a possible approach, Michael mentions that also and many of my algorithmic comps have that (as well as Reaper FX rack). I'm not sure how the comps I mentioned do upward compression either, it seems a bit different than slamming the peaks and mixing the wet sound up.

@sneaky - thanks for looking in to this. Sometimes when I use the Reaper FX rack mix I get some phasing nulls but it's easy to hear and see (in SPAN) if that happens.

@definity - no, it's the other way around. I want the dynamic range between quiet and loud to be smaller.

I know that the audio forums are full of parallel compression = [form of] upward compression but I'm trying to stick with the strict definition for this little exercise:

Compression is applied when the signal goes below the threshold.

Here are a couple more algo types that do upward compression (not parallel):
Blue Cat Dynamics
Sonalksis CQ1
Neodymium (defunct)
Thanks for all the responses!
kylen

Postby richie43 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:28 am

I am not at my main DAW, but I thought that Kultcomp from Gemini Audio has some presets that do this. Thye library refers to them as "de-compressor" presets.

Found it.... Here's the library.

http://www.gemini-audio.net/index.php?r ... duct_id=61
Here's what the website says...
"The first Nebula Library that features DeCompression!"
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:30 am

I need to go spend some time with this library.... I've had it for a long time and used only the compressor parts. Read this, it sounds awesome...
"This library features extended release times which go beyond the original 2 seconds to up to 10 seconds. Also included in this library is the Decompression function. It works the exact opposite way to regular compression and can be used to expand the dynamics of an over-compressed signal back to where it originally was. Another example would be removing some room on Drums."

Should be what the OP is asking about.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby kylen » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:20 am

I think this article is pretty good at explaining upward compression (vs parallel):
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/201 ... -expander/
kylen

Postby kylen » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:31 am

Thanks richie, I have the Gemini Kultcomp and it does have decompressor presets which turn out to be an upward expander (raises gain for signals above the threshold). In those terms what I would be looking for I believe is a DeExpander. If a [downward] expander increases gain below the threshold then a [downward] deexpander would decrease gain below the threshold (deexpander=upward compressor). Flux DeExpander does just that. I've been pretty confused by a lot of this I can say. But I do like the sound of low-level compression (waves description) whatever it is called!
kylen

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries