Login

Using R2R programs instead of EQ for tone

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Using R2R programs instead of EQ for tone

Postby richie43 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:49 pm

jeffbdavis wrote:
psound wrote:Not to say anything against CDSM libraries because they are high quality, but your posts seem somewhat biased and overly favourable towards that developer in particular.

Not sure what you mean? AFAIK, there are only two third-party devs making tape libraries for Nebula, right?

Fore the record, more than 2 actually. Rhythminmind has some great libraries., Henry has many, although they are tape-sim-presets, but I consider them in the same category somewhat. An then if we are inclusing tape-sims, Alex has the TSX collection, whis is labelled as "saturation", but at least a few of the models he emulated are tape-sim. And forum member Yuval Reuven (yr) has some great and diverse presets he released as free presets. Many tape flavors out there!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby psound » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 am

--
Last edited by psound on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psound
User Level II
User Level II

Postby david1103 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Don't forget the classic NAG tape! Maybe the best?

http://rhythminmind.net/STN/?page_id=3002

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1619&hilit=nag+tape

I just modded it to have GDrive using the NAT patcher, nice! 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3193&hilit=gdrive+patch

That patch seems to work on about 50% of preamps, so hurray!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jeffbdavis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:30 pm

richie43 wrote:
jeffbdavis wrote:Fore the record, more than 2 actually. Rhythminmind has some great libraries., Henry has many, although they are tape-sim-presets, but I consider them in the same category somewhat. An then if we are inclusing tape-sims, Alex has the TSX collection, whis is labelled as "saturation", but at least a few of the models he emulated are tape-sim. And forum member Yuval Reuven (yr) has some great and diverse presets he released as free presets. Many tape flavors out there!

Actually, I was referring to the CDSM and STN libs. Tape sims (or other similar hardware) aren't really the same as sampling analog tape/recorders, IMO. So, using that criteria, I still only know of two devs that are offering actual -tape- libraries. If you want to stretch it, I guess you could include the Cupwise cassette libs, though...

Not trying to be argumentative - I'd just like to know if there are any other analog tape libs I've missed? :)
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:45 pm

I've been doing a lot of testing in the last couple weeks on tape machines.I've been practicing on a tape decks before I move on to the larger classic machines I have here. So I'm hoping by the end of the month , although I have other nebula projects I've been working on.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby myimo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:09 am

Hi Tim, hope that you are still doing the Studer J37.
OT. Your W295B Silk EQ is magic.
myimo
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Yes I will,

But I want to keep experimenting before I start using tape on it. It's a beautiful machine.

Tim
myimo wrote:Hi Tim, hope that you are still doing the Studer J37.
OT. Your W295B Silk EQ is magic.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby greekpeet » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:29 pm

richie43 wrote:
psound wrote:Not to say anything against CDSM libraries because they are high quality, but your posts seem somewhat biased and overly favourable towards that developer in particular.

What is overly favorable? Maybe he is biased towards CDSM libraries, that's ok. We all make decisions about what we like more than others, we can't like everything. There is something for everyone, and his long tutorial of sorts is his methods with the tools he has chosen (for now, they can change any time). I don't see a problem with his supposed favoritism. But I am also biased towards a few developers too, and Michael Angel is one of them. He is more than a good software dev, he is also an awesome human with a huge heart and bottomless enthusiasm and instructions for this technology.

Pretty much on point to where I stand to be honest.

There is a song I'm finishing up mixing last night that only used one of his EQ libraries (think it was the N10 on some percussion). Rest was either the Mammoth, DocFear, or BMQ for EQ duties.

Another track I used 90% of the 98Q library because its what suited the material best to get everything in pocket.

Appreciate everyones positive comments and promise I'll have some awesome vids soon. Mixing nearly an albums worth of material with a full time job, school, and girlfriend/family takes a lot of my personal time up.

I wouldn't really say anything unless the results spoke for themselves - as well as getting the same enthusiastic reaction from close friends in music and production partners.

Still after all of these years of using Nebula, I'm just as excited as the first weekend of messing around with my first purchased libraries.

:D

Any way, to answer the 'time consuming' aspect of rendering each track like this is VERY much worth it. This is after years of experimentation.

Having a good room, monitors and converters where I can really turn stuff up helps immensely. In fact I have a really nice custom tube mixer a friend let me borrow for stem processing that doesn't even get used. Threw out hundreds of hours of work over many weeks because I'm very anal about the final result and want nothing but the best with what I have.

So.

What's funny is knowing how I'll process things on the back end really makes me step up my game musically. Put much more time into music, sounds and arrangement because I know these three things are critical no matter how many fancy libraries you can own.

If these are lacking, it doesn't matter.

I'll be back here in a few weeks to post some results.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby greekpeet » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:41 pm

david1103 wrote:Don't forget the classic NAG tape! Maybe the best?

http://rhythminmind.net/STN/?page_id=3002

http://acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewto ... t=nag+tape

I just modded it to have GDrive using the NAT patcher, nice! 8-)

http://acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewto ... rive+patch

That patch seems to work on about 50% of preamps, so hurray!

I own the NAG tape, and its an amazing library, but find the AMPEX stuff suits what I'm doing better. Use RM's filters all the time, and they always end up on basses or low mid range sounds.

Uhe's Diva and RM's Moog filter is slathered in awesome sauce.

RM's Tube compressor gets on the Master Bus for pretty much every track. It really makes things 'sound better'.

AlexB's Pultec is a must. I use that or the Cooltec. If I use the Cooltec on Kik, I use the Pultec on the bass and vice versa every time. Those libraries complement each other so well on the low spectrum of a mix.

So there ya go. Besides this thread was really about using the R2R, TB+, and VTMM2. Tried pretty much every tape sim on the market (haven't gotten around to purchasing Alex's yet, but don't see the reason at this time) sans the Kramer tape and to me, CDSM's libraries are the most musical to my ears.

I know Henry gets a ton of praise for his libraries but have yet to really get on them. When you have two years worth of projects and a specific work flow there isn't much reason to completely deviate by incorporating a ton of other variables at this time.

Curious to see how others in the community incorporate some of the things mentioned in the original post. Honestly I'd probably learn something how someone could use the same tools in a completely different way.

:)
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby SWANG » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:20 pm

greekpeet wrote:
I know Henry gets a ton of praise for his libraries but have yet to really get on them. When you have two years worth of projects and a specific work flow there isn't much reason to completely deviate by incorporating a ton of other variables at this time.

lol! be careful. i held off getting into henry's libraries for a while myself. i bought a few recently, and holy cow! henry is a f*cking genius! :shock:
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries