Login

NEW Cooltec2 MEQ-5 from CDS !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NEW Cooltec2 MEQ-5 from CDS !!!

Postby kylen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:32 am

Hi Michael, Where are the KERN page arrows supposed to be pointing (if it makes a difference on MEQ-5?).
Towards TIMED (meaning nebula is actually in FREQD mode) or towards FREQD (meaning nebula is actually in TIMED mode)?

I may have permanently changed nebula3 reverb to one of the modes (because I'm a numskull) and don't even know if I did, or how to tell.

Thanks for your help! :)
kylen

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:03 am

Hi kylen,

Thanks for writing :) !
The standard loading is with the arrows pointing left, towards timed.

kylen wrote:Hi Michael, Where are the KERN page arrows supposed to be pointing (if it makes a difference on MEQ-5?).
Towards TIMED (meaning nebula is actually in FREQD mode) or towards FREQD (meaning nebula is actually in TIMED mode)?

I may have permanently changed nebula3 reverb to one of the modes (because I'm a numskull) and don't even know if I did, or how to tell.

Thanks for your help! :)
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby kylen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:32 pm

OK, thanks for double-checking my setup Michael, that is the same behavior I get when loading MEQ-5 (arrows point to TIMED). Now off for some fine sound sculpting!
kylen

Postby kindafishy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 am

That's kind of what I thought you may have meant. You should change the way you describe it then, because if you say that it was "inspired by", you make it sound like it is not an accurate sampling of the hardware, but rather something that you created that is a "reasonable facsimile" of the hardware.

I just don't want you to short change yourself to potential customers due to something like that. Say what it really is.

cdsoundmaster wrote:Hi There,
"inspired by" is just my of saying that these programs come directly from the Vintage Pultec MEQ-5 :-).

kindafishy wrote:What does it mean that it is "inspired by" the EQ you mentioned?
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:45 am

kindafishy wrote:That's kind of what I thought you may have meant. You should change the way you describe it then, because if you say that it was "inspired by", you make it sound like it is not an accurate sampling of the hardware, but rather something that you created that is a "reasonable facsimile" of the hardware.

I just don't want you to short change yourself to potential customers due to something like that. Say what it really is.

Correct me if I'm wrong Michael, but I know how disturbingly busy you are and I think I have something to add to kindafishy's concerns.....
I think that many of the devs are very careful in using these more vague terms, like "inspired by", "based on", etc, or even change the name of the library to be more cryptic because for one, they maybe don't want to get involved in legal issues with the manufacturers of the sampled hardware. Also, even if they have permission to use the name, these are still only emulations, so they are "keeping it real". I think your concern is very sweet and appreciated by the devs and this whole crazy community. And maybe I am completely off the mark, and if so, I hope someone jumps in and corrects me.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cps418 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:26 am

i actually heard that the original hardware version of the eq was now public domain. So the use of the name should not matter.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby enriquesilveti » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:10 am

The law can be different from Europe to America. Making a mark warning that is a trademark should be sufficient.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries