Login

SILK EQ

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: SILK EQ upgrade for customers of silk-aqua LIMITED time

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Hannes_F wrote:@ritchie43
I'll take you literally and will send a file for processing. ;)

That being said I tried to buy the Silk for Neb 3 library and could not. Asked for a combo price even but no avail. Just saying.

Hi Hannes_F,

The reason you can't buy Neb 3 version is Silk v2 is being updated to v3 and is the reason for not being on the website... Acqua discount is for previous customers.

Thanks for your interest

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:49 pm

Hannes_F wrote:@ritchie43
I'll take you literally and will send a file for processing. ;)

That being said I tried to buy the Silk for Neb 3 library and could not. Asked for a combo price even but no avail. Just saying.

I dare you...... :shock:

:mrgreen:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:17 am

V3 (SilkEQ Acqua) is great.
Especially when you just want some magic high shelf.
Works perfect on vocals.
Picture is the V2 in light pink and V3 in hot pink.
SilkEQ V.S. V2 HighShelf3dB.png

Small tips: you can automate the gain with automation, but you can also automate the wet/dry ratio or run it parallel with volume automation to overcome the limit of stepped gain.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:05 pm

I just posted some presets that closely match the new TDR/Bootsy SlickEQ's high end to Silk EQ's:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p5711217

I have not had the time to actually do a shoot-out yet, so if anyone wants to have a go be my guest :)

SlickEQ is totally free and PC/Mac... how will it compare to the might of Nebula?! :ugeek:
Attachments
Siemens W295B Vs LDA SlickEQ Presets.png
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi David if you look at the silk version. You can see a slight roll off. This is due to the hardware, it's not the converters. This is a fairly important part of the sound In my opinion steady roll of after 15khz (subtle but pretty). I know you probably won't get any closer though. If anyone does do a shoot out I would recommend using silk acqua.

The steady roll of is due to the way they compensate the hardware transformer.

yes wobbles or sharp edges in low end don't exist in the hardware. Some may argue its transformer but nothing would ever be that extreme on a piece of hardware unless something was seriously wrong with it!
I corrected this in acqua.

this is the old version of silk or is getting pushed?
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:14 pm

I think is extremely important to remember that when doing "shoot-outs" between any Nebula/Acqua and an algo plugin, it is one thing to compare eq curves, but a completely different thing if you take into consideration harmonic distortion and other goodies that Nebula/Acqua are very good at. And unfortunately, those are the kinds of things that get over-looked with a quick shoot-out and a few graphs. You are not getting the cumulative effect of having either plugin all over a mix. The free Slick EQ is very good, don't get me wrong. The TDR comp is awesome, the Vladg comps are awesome as well, and everyone knows how nice the Bootsy plugins have been for many years. But a shoot-out like this more likely leads to misconstrued results, in my opinion, if the end results are EQ curve graphs.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Totally agree but getting the curves the same will tell you more about those subtle differences nebula has to offer.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:43 pm

this is the old version of silk or is getting pushed?

Yes, it's the old version I used to match the curves, and i did mention that you had fixed the low freq ripples now in the KVR thread :)

But a shoot-out like this more likely leads to misconstrued results, in my opinion, if the end results are EQ curve graphs

But the end results are people using their ears I hope, only by matching the EQ curves can we then focus in on the other areas of the sound (like Tim just posted).

SlickEQ has the latest generation of Bootsy's 'stateful saturation' in, it is maybe the closest yet to the quality of Nebula, so for me this makes doing this shootout the most interesting yet.

It will be very different saturation to Silk EQ, but there is still the area of general realism and quality that can be assessed.

I think both of these EQ have the aim to be 'smooth', some EQ's want to be punchy. I wonder if that flattened high end over 14k on Silk will be a big part of the sound?
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Fri May 23, 2014 1:50 am

any news on SILK EQ for Nebula being re-released ??
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:27 pm

V3 available for download,free upgrade for existing customers of silk nebula regular!

8-)
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries