Login

SILK EQ

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NEW RELEASE! SILK EQ by Tim Petherick UPDATED 24/07/13

Postby dejhantulip » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:Version 2 is amazing. I wasn't so sure about version 1 though it sounded good, it had a particular sound but it was not what I was used to, close but not right there. Now, this second version is an eye-opening library for me, it really says how much of the sound we get comes from the developer himself when working on NAT. Tim has skills! It sounds like a brand new unit, refurbished :lol: When I compared it to CDSM's (which is my favorite) a few hours ago, I was shocked, no kidding. It brings out all the clarity and definition this unit has. In fact, after hearing it I realized how "choky" Michael's version sounds :o It's incredible how things can change your perspective when you hear something different.

If you have CDSM's version you'll love this! :D

Cheers

Wow! That's a bold statement!!!

You really have me intrigued now Mercado! Because CDSM version is my favorite high shelf EVER. It's just amazing how it sounds on vocals--I really love it.

Now what you just said is REALLY interesting, anyone else can say something supporting it??

Any other comparisons with CDSM?

Any other thoughts about it Mercado? I respect your opinion very much so... and you got me thinking about purchasing this baby!

ORLANDO
dejhantulip
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:18 pm

dejhantulip wrote:
Mercado_Negro wrote:Version 2 is amazing. I wasn't so sure about version 1 though it sounded good, it had a particular sound but it was not what I was used to, close but not right there. Now, this second version is an eye-opening library for me, it really says how much of the sound we get comes from the developer himself when working on NAT. Tim has skills! It sounds like a brand new unit, refurbished :lol: When I compared it to CDSM's (which is my favorite) a few hours ago, I was shocked, no kidding. It brings out all the clarity and definition this unit has. In fact, after hearing it I realized how "choky" Michael's version sounds :o It's incredible how things can change your perspective when you hear something different.

Cheers

You really have me intrigued now Mercado! Because CDSM version is my favorite high shelf EVER. It's just amazing how it sounds on vocals--I really love it.

Now what you just said is REALLY interesting, anyone else can say something supporting it??

Any other thoughts about it Mercado? I respect your opinion very much so... and you got me thinking about purchasing this baby!

ORLANDO

Hi Orlando,

Yes, I thought I had the best high shelf with Michael's version but this second version from Tim is unreal. I had my reserves with his first version and we discussed a lot about it over email but now this second version is amazing. The clarity and definition is awesome. Michael's version is still a very good choice,in fact, I'll be using both on stereo tracks (different versions on each channel like if I had two units), but I have to be careful with that approach because both libraries sound very different. It's like having an old unit and a refurbished one. This is so exciting!

I wouldn't even think about it. If you love Michael's version just go ahead and get Tim's, you won't regret it ;)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SWAN » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 pm

tried the demo and the weight in the low end is really nice...the highs very open...when I try to replicate with algo plugins I just cant do it...problem as Ive decided to go to Logic X and we have no 64 bit yet...but Ill pick this up I think. The punch in the transient was more evident than my Germanos...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:48 pm

SWAN wrote:tried the demo and the weight in the low end is really nice...the highs very open...when I try to replicate with algo plugins I just cant do it...problem as Ive decided to go to Logic X and we have no 64 bit yet...but Ill pick this up I think. The punch in the transient was more evident than my Germanos...

Those Germanos never really cut it for me. There's one of them, can't remember its number right now, which does a great job on mids but I have Michael's Q8 for that, which is my favorite for mids.

I'm obsessed with high shelves and I've spent a lot of time comparing algo plugins with Nebula and nothing comes close, sadly. That Siemens W295B is my favorite for that but there are also some other libraries out there that sound pretty good as well in that area (Michael's NiceEQ solid state version and his Q8 come to mind).

People seem to be obsessed with transients and their behaviour in Nebula but they don't realize that hardware doesn't actually treat transients like they think. It's a mellow punch,they round up things. It's not the spikey punch we're used to from plugins.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby dejhantulip » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:
dejhantulip wrote:

Cheers

ORLANDO

Hi Orlando,

Yes, I thought I had the best high shelf with Michael's version but this second version from Tim is unreal. I had my reserves with his first version and we discussed a lot about it over email but now this second version is amazing. The clarity and definition is awesome. Michael's version is still a very good choice,in fact, I'll be using both on stereo tracks (different versions on each channel like if I had two units), but I have to be careful with that approach because both libraries sound very different. It's like having an old unit and a refurbished one. This is so exciting!

I wouldn't even think about it. If you love Michael's version just go ahead and get Tim's, you won't regret it ;)

I *HATE* you man... lol...

So... basically... Bought it. Tried it. Loved it.

Just when I thought I had the best hi shelf ever... OBVIOUSLY someone has to prove me wrong...

Thanks for the great review!!!

Guys, just purchase this library, AMAZING... no really, it's the new standard for saying a vocal has that "airy" beauty!

ORLANDO
dejhantulip
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks guy's!

These comment's mean a lot to me. I spent many hours on this library.

I have started work on a mini release which should be ready by next week. I'm using the same technique's as I did for this Eq, although the next release is not a eq and still makes a lovely difference. :P
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby omardiaz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Bought and instantly loved it, all that you guys talked about it its true, fantastic high shelf, fantastic Tim, thanks for you great effort, dont stop releasing stuff with this quality!!!
omardiaz
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Yes the high end is a bit of a classic. I really love the sound of the whole unit though. What I really love is how you can cut high or lows and it does not get harsh In the mid range, which is really what analog eq's are about! You don't lose the punch on top of all that! The mid range great too because the presence is always there not matter how hard you push it!

:)
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:43 am

timp wrote:Yes the high end is a bit off a classic. I really love the sound of the whole unit though. What I really love is how you can cut high or lows and it does not get harsh In the mid range, which is really what analog eq's are about! You don't lose the punch on top of all that! The mid range great too because the presence is always there not matter how hard you push it!

:)

This. I had to do a high cut on a master yesterday, figured what the heck, I haven't really gotten a chance to use the v2 at all yet...really super nice. I'm not used to this EQ (in hardware or software formats which is funny I even have other iterations of it installed just never got around to them) so I wasn't aware that it was 3dB stepped; at first I was like "ouch, this is the EQ people lose their shit over?" Then I made my cut and thought "yep, this must be the one."
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby tyrrell » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:18 am

I bought it today finally. I have only tossed it on full mixes so far and it's great. Tomorrow i will play around with instruments. I can't wait to test out the mids, i have some horn tracks waiting!
tyrrell
User Level V
User Level V

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries